“Hospitality and History in One”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #2 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at the Alaska Heritage House in October, 2011, on our belated honeymoon. It was super-comfy, with delicious gourmet breakfasts (gluten-free no less, to accommodate my wheat intolerance), and tastefully decorated with vintage Alaska artifacts. The bathroom with two-person clawfoot tub even was stocked with their own homemade soap! Vann & Bill went above and beyond the call of duty to give us a comprehensive historical orientation plus great tips for exploring the Fairbanks area and beyond. For a real romantic stay, try the Georgia Lee room.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chad S
There are newer reviews for Alaska Heritage House

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We chose the Alaska Heritage House for our anniversary and wanted a unique bed and breakfast experience. When you walk in, the atmosphere is exactly what you think of in a bed and breakfast; vintage, wonderful hospitality, and you feel right at home. Everything was clean, and the breakfast was on time and delicious!

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs have private bathrooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ellen K
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed at the Alaska Heritage House for the summer of 2011 while working in the area. The owners and staff made me feel right at home, almost part of the family. The breakfasts were unique and delicious, not your usual B&B fare. I watched all summer as they cleaned relentlessly to keep this beautiful, old historic place in tip-top shape. The location is a short walk to the river walk and restaurants, yet in a quiet neighborhood setting. I can't wait to return to Fairbanks to see the owners and stay in this lovely home again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank melpollard
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The reservation process was easy. Our room was spotless, beautiful, full of antiques and very comfortable - even for our second grader. We were served some of the best breakfasts we have ever eaten that were presented beautifully with down home hospitality.

We are definitely going to make a return trip to Fairbanks and wouldn't think of staying anyplace else.

Room Tip: There aren't any bad rooms The suites have all been recently redecorated Free WiFi and no char...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank geegirl89
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have had the opportunity to stay at this wonderful vintage historical home. I would highly reccomend anyone who would like to learn history or stay in a fabulios establishment. Everything done to serve you is excellant. Food is quite tastey.

Room Tip: Try out the Mary Lee Davis..or the Garden Room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I would HIGHLY recommend the Alaska Heritage House. We stayed for the month of August and enjoyed every minute. Delicious and different breakfasts daily and friendly and helpful owners and staff made this stay quite memorable!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Virginia S
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed in the above B&B for 1 night during Dec'10 and I can rate my stay as at most moderate. It's a nice antique house located very near to downtown Fairbanks. One can spend hours inside the house looking at the furniture, antiques, etc and it also has a nice living room. Plus, the place is conviniently located and easily accessible.

However, I felt that the maintenance of the place is not up to the mark. My room (bathroom) was dirty when I checked in and I had to mention to the inn keeper. The owner/s don't live in the house and it's up to the inn keeper on how the place is maintained. One thing that bothered me was that the person looking after the place called me a couple of times saying that she will be away during some hours of the afternoon and I can't check in during that time as there won't be anyone in the house. I feel that alternate arrangements should be made in case the inn keeper is not present at the house and there shouldn't be any constraint on the guest for the same. Another issue that left me in bad taste, was the difference in price quoted over phone for one night's rent and what I paid at the end for the room rent was different (based on what I remember and I am pretty sure that I haven't mistaken). The difference was not significant and I didn't want to create much fuss on that but this was not what I hoped for. Overall, I feel that this place is way over priced for the service one receives.

To sum up, I do like the house with it's history and I am glad that I stayed 1 night but the standard of service is poor compared to other B&B's I have stayed at Fairbanks. Sorry, can't give a higher rating than 3 (maybe 2.5 would have been ideal for my experience, though I just rated a bit more on the positive side).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank PrasunChoudhury
Virginia N, Owner at Alaska Heritage House, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

The owners, Bill Albee and Van Newstrom moved to Fairbanks in May 2011 and our efforts to personally manage, clean and maintain our wonderful historic B&B are reflected in the more recent comments. The 3 suites were all redecorated this summer. Van is a gormet cook and we serve a varied menu reflective of our world travels.