“This place is a 10 out of 10!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My family - me, my wife, two sons, ages 26 and 18 traveled interior Alaska for two weeks. We stayed one night here and two nights there. The location of this hotel, while not idyllic, is convenient and safe. When I say not idyllic I mean one side faces a shopping area but the other does face green. It is, however, VERY conveniently located. This hotel was by far the most impressive. It is fairly new so everything is bright and clean; including the swimming pool and hot tub. The common area in the lobby which is where guests eat breakfast is huge with many smaller tables for up to four people and a massive shared table up the middle surrounded by perhaps twenty stools. The room was appointed with art work created in Alaska, some by native Alaskans. The complimentary breakfast food was the best I've ever had at a hotel. The server, Cathy (or maybe it is Kathy) made it her business to see that everyone had what they needed. The warm cookies later on in the afternoon were also a treat. I normally do not write this kind of review but I just felt I needed to in this case.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Edward S

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a great hotel as far north as you can go and still be at a Hampton Inn. The facility was clean; the front desk service was great; and the breakfast was good. But all good things have a flaw and in this case the insulation between rooms was either non-existent or very thin. Guests in the next room were up at 3 or 4 in the morning and carrying on conversations that probably would not be considered loud but at that time of the morning the sound carried clearly and was disturbing. I mentioned this to the front desk and while they were sympathetic there was little they could do when the hotel was completely booked.
One very positive feature was that the drapes closed completely and in Fairbanks where the sun is up past midnight before setting and then rises by 3am this was helpful

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here a week after summer solstice. Our first time in Alaska and the beginning of our adventure.

The only disappointment in this hotel is that there are no real "suites" for a family. They do have a "king bed" suite with sofa bed...but for a family of 5...that really doesn't make sense so you are resigned to be in a single room with 2 queen beds and roll away bed...OR have to pay for 2 rooms...that is the only criticism I can give.

The hotel itself is very clean and a standard Hampton Inn (minus the bigger suites). The breakfast area is very nice and Alesea who was hosting the morning breakfasts while we were there was a perfect hostess...very friendly and attentative.

This hotel is conveniently located across the street from a Walmart and right near a very well stocked local liquor store ( :-) )

We drove to North Pole and the Chena Hot Springs easily from here as well as the University of AK cultural museum and the river boat discovery.

If you are staying in the Fairbanks area...this is a decent choice...although summer months you will pay a premium for a hotel room in Alaska...and I understand that since they have such a limited tourist season...it is just disappointing to a long time diamond member that is already qualified as a diamond for 2015 that they don't have more options with larger rooms for a large family...and they were unwilling to offer alternatives like two adjoining rooms since they were not sold out...the local management didn't seem to be able to think through this minor issue for us...but it is okay...the property is a nice one that I can honestly recommend you stay at.

Room Tip: The local liquor store is very well stocked. The Walmart right across the street is very convenient...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel itself is a standard Hampton Inn, nothing exceptional; however, one fellow working reception the following morning was terribly informative about the drive to Denali, and I truly appreciate his willingness to talk about it. He warned about the road construction. I stayed here on 22 June, day after solstice. Although I didn't request any specific room location the hotel reception put me up on fourth floor facing (I guess northwest, not really sure) the same side as front entrance. On the other side of the street are only fields, a pond/lake and rolling hills with no trees as I remember. That side of the hotel afforded me a view of the sunset at 1:00 a.m. Not being from the north I was impressed with Fairbanks' 22-hour days. I didn't sleep well because it really wasn't my intent to sleep through the longest sunny day of my life. The hotel's location is good--certainly not downtown next to the Summer Solstice Festival, but rather on the outskirts near a shopping center which I forgot about being roomed on that north side of the building. I liked this hotel and its reception.

Room Tip: Rooms on same side as front entrance face open space.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Staying at a lot of Hampton Inns around the country teaches one that some properties are just better than others, and pricing can vary. I walked in while in Fairbanks visiting family to check them out but turned around and walked out after being quoted a starting price of $250/night. Sorry, poor value here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
casthompson, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dale W.,

Thank you for thinking of us when you were looking for a place to stay in Fairbanks and thank you for being a loyal Hampton guest around the country. If the only rates we had available the night that you thought about staying with us were starting at $250, that means the all of rooms were full except for our suites. I am sorry you were unable to stay with us this time, but hopefully you will give us a chance to serve you in the future.

Thanks again,

Casey Thompson, GM

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I was traveling the state some on a family vacation and stayed here for a night. The staff was super friendly. The room was clean. The pool was clean and open later which is nice with the kids. The breakfast was nothing special but certainly ok. Overall no complaints at all. A nice stay.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 26, 2014

So, here's the deal... Hotels in Alaska tend to be sub-par. I'm not talking about historic roadhouses or cabins in the bush. I'm talking about business hotels (yes, some of us actually work here) in the "big" cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. Part of this is because it's hard to retain good help, and part of this is the simple fact that it's tough/expensive to do business up here. But, extensive work travel across the state leads me to believe that a "Hey, the'll only be here once" and, "Let's just do it as cheap as we can" attitude prevails among many, many hoteliers here.

That's why it's so refreshing to stay at the Hampton Inn Fairbanks. In term of cleanliness, service and upkeep, this hotel rivals some of the top-tier Hamptons in the lower 48. That, in turn, makes this hotel--by far--the best Hilton property in the state. Moreover, they do many of the little things right. I've stayed at this hotel almost 30 times in the last three years. During that time, I've never come across an empty coffee urn at breakfast, or a major operational deficiency. In contrast, just 2-3 nights each at the Hampton or the Embassy Suites in Anchorage and I've seen some pretty ugly stuff.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business