“Best Vacation Ever!!”
Review of Wedgewood Resort

Wedgewood Resort
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous week at Wedgewood Resorts (Bear Lodge) In Fairbanks Alaska!! If you are looking for an interesting,fun, spacious and extra clean hotel this is the place for you..We were so impressed with the quality, service and excitement at this lovely resort. I just have to tell you about the excellent dining available on site, we chose to wine and dine in the hotel because the chef's creations were superb! Best salmon and steak in Fairbanks! The morning buffet was delicious also, something for everyone (kids too:-) We looked all over the city and found the gift shop in the hotel most extraordinary, treasures for all our loved ones! The grounds are glorious, flowers and trees in full bloom so colorful..so amazing!! Next to the hotel is the Antique Car Museum these are the most amazing preserved and restored antique cars from 1900's to late 1930's (We took our picture in one of these impressive vehicles, dressed in top hat and bonnet /lace shaw available to all visitors) Only a few steps from here is the nature preserve trail so pristine so memorable!

Room Tip: All rooms are grand
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny H
WedgewoodResort, Manager at Wedgewood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Your positive comments are very appreciated, and we are pleased that we met and exceeded your expectations. Our team works hard to maintain a high standard of service, and we take the feedback from our guests very seriously. I am glad you were able to enjoy all that our resort has to offer and that you were here during the peak time for our gardens and flowering trees. I am especially pleased that you visited our auto/fashion museum and wildlife sanctuary, the two hallmark attractions Wedgewood Resort. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Shane Arnold, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Wedgewood Resort

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Wedgewood Resorts on our last day in Alaska. The best part was it's a small apartment. Someone told me it was built for the pipeline workers. The best part was that we could wind down and watch a little tv in a room other than our bedroom. They have a big screen tv and 2 couches. Don't miss the car museum.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here on midsummer eve on a swing through the Interior to visit friends. We stayed in Bear Lodge, part of the larger Wedgewood complex. It was an interesting feeling staying overnight on ground where I had often cross-country skied 4 decades earlier when we lived nearby as young marrieds in Fairbanks.

The lodge staff was friendly, and our room was large, and nicely laid out. The lodge is modern, and well maintained and attractive. My wife has some disabilities, so we asked for a room suited for her needs, and we were not disappointed. The bathroom was particularly well-suited for handicap necessities. Interior Alaska can be fairly warm in the summer, so air conditioning is important. The small a/c unit in the room was unobtrusive and kept the room at a comfortable temperature.

I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The buffet was nicely presented and the food plentiful and varied, but uninspired. The $15 I paid seemed pricey for the quality of food I ate.

Alaska hotels can be expensive in the summer, but this place is attractively priced. I selected largely on price, and some past experience (not the skiing :). Overall, the value feels very good in comparison to what we paid. I will look here when we return in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DavidinRedding
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We got there late, and were really very tired. The lodge ( looks more like a Motel) is isolated, with nothing to do or where to go for dinning or to buy souvenirs. The only choice was to sleep or watch TV. I've read others comments and reviews and it seems that we are talking about two different places. I'm being here as objective as I can, and giving an impartial opinion. The AC, was't working right, and it wasn't cool outside. A double room, quite big, with essential, simple, clean, dated. Only two three employees could be seen, very helpful, as a matter of fact, but the truth is that the hotel does not fit Princess standards. The breakfast buffet was good, that helped a little, but in general, big deception for a first impression. Sorry guys!

Room Tip: Ask Princess first, if they have other option where to stay in Fairbanks, because this is not the be...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Francisco V
WedgewoodResort, General Manager at Wedgewood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you found our employees helpful and liked our breakfast buffet. I am confused, though, about your comment that there is nothing to do and no dining or souvenirs at our 105-acre resort. Fairbanks’s #1 TripAdvisor attraction, the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, is located right here on the property, as is the Golden Bear Restaurant, Bear’s Tale Lounge and Bear Essentials Gift Shop. We also offer a unique selection of items in the museum gift shop. At least two other restaurants are located a short walk from the hotel, and our free shuttle transports guests to the University of Alaska Museum, Pioneer Park, downtown Fairbanks, and a grocery store. Even late at night there are things to do at Wedgewood Resort. In fact, last night there were numerous guests out enjoying the “midnight sun” while walking our self-guided nature trail around Wander Lake, photographing our resident owl family, and looking at our bush plane, Alaska pipeline exhibit, trapper’s cabin, and wildflower garden. Inside Bear Lodge and the Visitor Center are several displays from our museum for guests to view, as well as an extensive photography exhibit on Alaska wildlife, historic Fairbanks, and vintage cars.
It has been unusually hot in Fairbanks lately and I apologize for the trouble you encountered with the air conditioner. Did you share your concern with the front desk? We would have been happy to service it immediately or move you to another room if we were aware of the problem. Our priority is to provide top-rate hospitality, and I am sorry that you were inconvenienced. Thank you again for your feedback, as we always appreciate guests taking the time to share their experiences.

Shane Arnold, General Manager
Wedgewood Resort

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Bear Lodge part of the Wedgwood Resort. The staff was friendly, even at 1am. The shuttle from the airport and to the train station were great to have available. My room was ordinary, large, and clean. I would say this is a good value venue.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2013

it seems to be mostly a place tour companies use to place their guests while in Fairbanks. The restaurant is mediocre but an Italian restaurant, Geraldos nearby is excellent. The Lodge has a breakfast buffet for about $15. It is mediocre. But, do visit the nearby antique auto museum. You can ask at the front desk about it. it is worth the trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Bear Lodge was an "overflow" property used by Princess Cruises. We were lucky that we got to stay here instead of one of Princess' properties. The rooms were large. Two queen beds with benches at the foot of each with plenty of room to walk around. Two comfortable chairs meant that one of us did not have to sit on the bed or on a desk chair. The restaurant served very good meals (we enjoyed both breakfast and dinner). The room was quiet, but it was impossible to block out the daylight at midnight. A clothes pin or two would have helped, an item I normally carry, but I was traveling "light." How much could they have weighed, I now ask myself. And, of course, as many reviewers have pointed out, the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum is conveniently located on the property, and well worth your time. Unfortunately, we did not have time to check out the walking trails.

It's a place that I would stay at again without hesitation. The staff were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple