“Not up the Princess Standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Wedgewood Resort

Wedgewood Resort
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Northern California
“Not up the Princess Standards”
Reviewed January 17, 2008

This was my last stop on a 14-day Princess CruiseTour. It was the worst place that we stayed. The rooms were bare, the location remote...there was little we could walk to. It was not up to the high quality of the rest of our Princess Cruise and stay in Denali.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank WhereToGuide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooklyn
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed here for five nights (actually four because we left most of our stuff here one night while we were up at Coldfoot and Wiseman) on our driving trek from New York to Alaska. This is a multi apartment building complex. There appeared to be three floors to the various buildings. We were in a first floor apartment in the Harding Building, near the entrance to the building. Our room did look dated but it didn't matter to us. It was clean. There was a living room, two bedrooms, bathroom, and small walk-through kitchen. The couch opened up to a bed.

You are on your own for breakfast (there is no continental breakfast). We like to eat in on our trips. We bought foodstuffs at the local Fred Meyers and Safeway.

Our rate was $265 but this is Alaska in the summer when you can expect to pay more than in the Lower 48.

The staff was helpful and knowledgeable. We used the free shuttle to take us to the airport for a day trip to Barrow. Also used it to go to the Tanana Valley State Fair.

One night we left most of our stuff in our room and took just what we needed for a drive on the Dalton Highway to Coldfoot and Wiseman (north of the Arctic Circle); that night we slept in a cabin in Wiseman while most of our stuff was in the Wedgewood, in Fairbanks. When we came back the following night, everything was in our room just as we had left it.

This is not a fancy place. It is utilitarian with enough space for a family of two adults and a few children who like to save money by eating in instead of going to a restaurant. It certainly was not dumpy as one reviewer said. I can see where he was angry because he had to carry his luggage to the third floor. We also travel with lots of luggage. At the time we make a reservation we have a checklist of questions. We always ask is there an elevator and please describe how you get in. So we knew in advance that we'd have to carry our luggage from the car to the room. Thus, when the reservation was made in January (if you're going to Alaska on you rown always book your lodging by January), we asked specifically for a room closest to the entrance. Hence, we got a first floor room, so the trudging with the luggage was minimized.

One thing we were disappointed in was that the Internet wireless did not work in the room. We had to take the laptop to the lobby in the main building.

Because we spent one day driving to north of the Arctic Cirle, another day driving back down to Fairbanks, and a third day in Barrow (plane there and back in the same day), we were not physically in Fairbanks that long even though we slept here four nights. Wish we had more time to walk around the grounds as it was near a bird sanctuary and there were some other interesting things on the grounds.

• Liked — Apartment style
  • Disliked — Wireless Internet didn't reach our room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelLawyerFamily
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I stayed for three nights in early September in the McKinley building. I had an excellent small apartment -- with foyer, good-sized living room with very large TV, dining area with table and chairs, a good-sized galley kitchen which included a real refrigerator, stove-oven, and microwave as well as dishes, glasses and tableware, a full bathroom, and a bedroom large enough for two double beds plus a large walk-in closet and yet another TV. Everything was clean, very comfortable, and well thought out. The living room had sliding patio doors which opened onto a long veranda, with a wide view of forests, sky, beautifully manicured lawns, and lots of robust landscaped flowers.

Having an apartment gave me the chance to live in a lot of space instead of the usual one room of a hotel -- a refreshing, relaxing feeling. I went to Fred Meyer in town and bought groceries, and enjoyed my own meals -- super comfortable!

The Wedgewood staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The gift shop in the Bear Lodge reception area has a happy staff and a few internet computers which Wedgewood guests can use at no charge. Computers were also available at the Visitor Center building's reception area.

I loved the quiet and peacefulness every night, and the birdsong in the mornings. The location is just northeast of town, at Creamer's Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. At the end of the apartment buildings are two different open-access entrances to Creamer's Field, as well as the main building of the Alaska Bird Observatory and free access to lovely, easy ABO hiking trails in the forest (which are filled with Chickadees).

One extra touch: the Wedgewood provides to guests no-cost hourly bus shuttles to various places all around town, a great convenience in a city that's spread out where taxi fares can be costly. I took that shuttle to Fred Meyer and back.

I read a previous traveler’s comment here about the massive size of the cabbages growing among the flowers. There’s also a sign saying that moose love cabbage and if you see a moose munching on a cabbage please inform the front desk! Hahaha! Welcome to the Alaskan Interior!

• Liked — Spacious, clean, quiet, helpful service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank allforcats
SF Bay Area, CA
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Staying at The Wedgewood Resort saved our vacation!
Our first night in Fairbanks was spent at a ridiculously sub-standard hotel (regardless of the multi-star rating by AAA). A friend suggested the Wedgewood Suites. We attempted to access Wedgewood Suites availability online, but the internet connection in our first hotel was sub-standard as well. Giving up, I called the 1-800 number to determine any room availability. From the reservationist on, everything took a 180 degree turn for the better.
The reservationist was extremely helpful explaining that the week we needed may be a problem mid-week as two of the nights were already booked full. She also checked availability in their other two facilities (Bridgewater Hotel and Sophie Station - also booked full). She was so helpful explaining that there may be cancellations at Wedgewood - we could check daily, but the first four nights would not be a problem. We jumped at the opportunity.
Upon arrival, we immediately noticed the immaculate landscaping, the lawns appeared manicured and the wide array of colorful foliage was postcard worthy. The gazebo area was inviting, and we were SHOCKED at the size of the Alaskan cabbage grown on the premises. You have to see it to believe it.
We opted for lunch at the Bear lodge. Initially, there appeared to be an overabundance of wait staff and a massive buffet spread. We soon found out why; we were actually witnessing a backstage glance at the preparation necessary to handle multiple tour busses on a tight time schedule. Someone announced into the kitchen, “. . . busses are here . . .” and in no time we found ourselves in a monstrous sea of people arriving for lunch. The staff was attentive to the huge number of patrons filling the premises and the many demands that accompany those sheer numbers. Our waitress kept a close eye on us as well; we never once got lost in the crowd of tour bus participants.
Upon check-in, we were given a third floor suite in the Laurel building. The front desk staff almost seemed apologetic about the third floor location, but we didn't mind at all. The configuration of the suites within the building almost guarantees front row parking and easy access for unloading (there are multiple separate entrances). Our suite was wonderful, it was clean (absolutely NO stale smoke smell), spacious, quiet, secluded and located at the edge of the woods. Our sliding glass door opened to a panoramic view of a grassy area with a peaceful forest as a backdrop.
The rooms were well laid out with comfortable furniture all around. With the Midnight Sun in all it’s glory, the blackout curtains in the bedroom were a welcome addition. The internet connection was fast and reliable which proved invaluable as my husband had some work to accomplish in spite of our vacation status.
The full kitchen, complete with a microwave and coffee maker, was a welcome change from constantly eating out. After a quick trip to a local grocery store, we were eventually able to enjoy relaxing meals at our leisure. The appliances were contemporary and full size (not the mini-apartment versions) making preparation much easier.

A daily newspaper was slid under our front door each morning and we never saw the cleaning crew that maintained our suite in immaculate condition.
True to the reservationist’s prediction, there was a cancellation. The staff alerted us to the additional availability and we were able to secure three more days.
When departure time came, we were hoping our flight would be over-booked (don’t laugh - it happens) allowing us a few more days in the spectacular Alaskan interior AND to stay at the Wedgewood Resort.
We will definitely be back as our daughter now attends the University of Alaska at Fairbanks and our first call will ALWAYS be to the Wedgewood Resort.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, contemporary suites with fabulous on-site dining options
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank viking_mom
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I decided to stay at Wedgewood resort after the strong recommendation from a friend who visited Fairbanks in summer '06, and I'm so glad I took her advice! One of the first things you notice when you get the hotel, is just the beauty of the property -- their landscaping is just beautiful! I took several pictures of the flowers! Everything just looked so nice. Also, being an outdoor enthusiast, I loved the trails to Creamers Field (a bird observatory)... I was also pleasantly surprised by the size of my suite...much bigger than I expected! I like to stay in touch with family and friends when I travel so I was so happy to find out that they had an internet cafe inside their gift shop. The girl working in the shop was very friendly and I must say, the coffee was good, too! I had such a great time that my next trip to Fairbanks (and there will be a next time!), I will definitely be staying at Wedgewood...

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank calichick56
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2007

I have never even been to such a run down apartment much less have to stay in such a mess of a place. The "resort" is old apartments that were built for oil refinery workers in the 70's. When I got there I quickly learned that the only activity at this place was hauling my luggage up the 3 flights of stairs no elevators and they don't tell you this in advance. Once inside my room it only gets worse. The room is dated with the dark wood paneling and the mustard yellow kitchen. The AC only works in the bedroom area so if its hot plan on spending a lot of time crammed into the place that is big as a closet. The sheets felt like sandpaper and the bed was nothing more than a mattress and box spring on a frame. When I stayed there the power went out 2x and the room had musty smell. And the curtains had what looked like bullet holes in them. I travel a lot on business and understand that in certain parts of the world there is not much choices of decent hotels. But this place takes the cake at 229 a nite they really made me desire to sleep in a pop up camper over this "resort". I was scheduled for a week but checks out after 2 nites.

• Liked — I got to leave after only 2 days
  • Disliked — the stairs with my 100 lbs of luggage, the rooms were nasty
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank shamrockjulie
el paso, illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2006

After having stayed at the Wedgewood Resort for four nights, we have to say that it certainly offered us all of the comforts of home. The suite was very clean and roomy with a well-appointed full sized kitchen, offering the option of cooking when we tired of eating out all of the time. We enjoyed the prospect of coming home to our own relaxing suite for
"down time" after each day of Alaska adventures. It was always cleaned very well and in a timely manner each day. At check-in and check-out the staff was pleasant and quite accommodating. The breakfast buffet offered a large variety of delicious items, and we certainly didn't come away hungry! We will definitely recommend the Wedgewood Resort to any of our friends who are planning a trip to Fairbanks. It is truly one of Alaska's hidden treasures.
(Oh, we almost forgot. When it came to blocking out the "midnight sun" for sleeping at night, the curtains were the best!)

10 Thank tgerth