“Wonderful stay”

Billie's Backpackers Hostel
Shanghai, China
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My friend recommend me this place and it was really wonderful.

Billie was a lovely host. She has an amazing collection of vintage items, which made the house like a mini museum. Cleanliness is awesome, everything in the house was clean and well organized. The common area (living room) was nice decorated with a great atmosphere.

Location is great, parking is available at front. I was stay at the top of the bulk bed by the window. It wobbles a bit and might disturb whoever stay at bottom. It was quite common for wood bulk bed in general, but not sure if other bed have the same problem in this hostel.

The internet connection isn't really good. But hey you are in a hostel, talk to other traveler :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank SammyPolarbear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 8, 2014

She is very nice person and I lived here for six nights. I feel very comfortable and warm here. In here, I met different people come from different states even more different countries. We share some interesting things and experiences in Faribanks. I really suggest here if you don't have a lot of beget.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zoeli66
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My family and I stayed in Billie's. Great host, nice hostel. The only thing would be there is not enough utensils to eat with when you have a larger group of people (There were 7 of us).
If you are in fairbanks for the aurora, this is a good place. We saw aurora 2 nights in a roll!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Weng Ka W
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Billie was a wonderful host and very kind. Made me feel welcome and even recommended where to go to see the lights. The place, bed, and house was very clean. Clean is what I look for so this gets a 2 thumbs up from me. It is a older house with squeaky floors when you walk but again CLEAN IS what its about for me! I will not forget this place due to the kindness that is omitted from this place. Location is great as well right up the street from the university. There is a lot of history to this place and I would like to come back in the future. Don't forget when you stay here to sign and write in the guest log book. They are wonderful and they go way back. The new ones are the black (GUEST) books. Please don't forget to sign them and tell others about your trip. After all if you don't share your experiences then who will ever know.........

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Traveler T
Bramley, England
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My review won't be long, because I'll just be saying what everyone else says: this is a wonderful place.

One of the great advantages of staying at a hostel is all the other interesting people you meet, including the owner(s), and that was certainly true here.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug1943
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days when we're visiting Fairbanks. I love the hospitality provided at the hostel. Billie is a very nice person, she "arranged" the norther lights show for us! We finally saw the northern lights on the last night we're in Fairbanks! The room was very clean and I did enjoy my stay there! People going to fairbanks should stay there!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rizki T
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I think Billie's hostel got enough good review already. Not only Billie is a such a nice person, but everyone who works for her are also a very lovely and kind to me. I couldn't thank them enough for what they have done for me.

So here is my story,

I was arrived at Billie's in the Christmas morning. I was so tired because I took a flight from New York City and it was quite a trip. Anyway, I arrived there and I met Joe and his Golden Retriever. Joe was so nice to me by the time I arrived and just lead me to my bedroom, since Bille was taking her nap at that time. At night we had a lovely christmas dinner and it was one of the best Super in my life.

But here's the thing. Billie's hostel is more than just a hostel. In there if you are able to open up your mind, you'll meet your family. and if you just take your time to appreciate the beauty, you'll see that Bille's has so many good stuffs that will surprise you to death.

One of them is the poetry I found on the front door, the one that lead us to the bedroom on the 2nd floor. I know it's a bit dark but if you just take ur time to stop and read it. Maaaannn it's so beautiful that you feel like you want to stole it from Billie. When i asked Billie about the poetry, She said it was written by one of her best friend. The poetry was written beyond words. it was so beautiful really.

Another interesting thing is a photograph of her friend with Mother Theresa. She was one of my role model. Along with the photograph there was also a letter for Billie. Turned out Billie is also a huge fan of her just like me.

I'm also about to mention her collection of Books, and guess what, I found Homer's on one of them. Do not also forget to just sit on the table in the living room and read some of the guest book. You'll surprise with what you may get from there.

It was seriously one of my best moment. I know it sounds lame but we travel some of us forever to seek other states, other lives, other souls,

Thanks Billie for helping me find my souls and for letting me walk down to those memory lane of yours :)

-christa, Indonesia