Billie's Backpackers Hostel
Wedgewood Resort(Fairbanks)(Great Value!)
$165
Best Western Plus Chena River Lodge(Fairbanks)(Great Value!)
$194
$239
$154
$149
Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn(Fairbanks)(Great Value!)
$194
$170
$240
$245
TripAdvisor
All reviewspeach cobblersweet homeinteresting peoplenice personnorthern lightsbooked a private roombunk bedsbus stophome away from homeliving roomclean towelsstay there againcomfortable place to stayother guestscoffee potvisiting fairbanksstayed nights
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Billie's is a wonderful place. I stayed one night in May 2013 and I really enjoyed it. The showers are nice and hot, Billie has towels for everyone. The upstairs is a no-talking zone, so that is really lovely. The bus system in Fairbanks has a stop near by and is easy and cheap to use. I walked to the University of Alaska-Fairbanks and it was not very far at all. If you get the opportunity to get to the University's Museum of the North, please go. That is a fantastic museum.

Room Tip: Its about a $20 cab ride to the airport from Billies, including a nice tip. I paid about $10 from the Train Station to Billies. The Bus system is really easy to use in Fairbanks.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ChippyJawn
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I will be honest. This is the first hostel I have ever stayed in all my life. So yes, I don't have any experiences with other hostels that I can compare this to. However, that also means that I am comparing this to some of the fancier hotels, b&bs etc and still giving it good reviews :)

I visited Fairbanks in March 2013 to see the Aurora and decided to stay here mostly to save some money since my Alaska trip was already costing me a fortune. I dont think I could have made a better choice. You get a really good place to stay at for a smallish 30$. Yes, it is a hostel and the common area and bedrooms are shared but that did not bother me. In fact, I met some really amazing people over there during my 3 day stay. it is a truly international culture at this hostel. There was a person from Argentina, one from S Korea, another girl from China, one from japan, 2 guys from South Africa and the list is endless. I also noticed that not even a single bed stayed empty for longer than a few hours. As soon as people left, there would always be someone new in their place which speaks volumes about this place.

you get a lot of freedom by having the shared kitchen that you can use pretty much whenever you want. You can buy your own food, put your name on it and keep it in the fridge. It was freezing in March when I visited so I ended up eating most meals with quick preparation in the kitchen instead of dining out. I felt the kitchen was very clean and I did not mind fixing something quick for myself there.

The bedroom on the 2nd floor is the quiet area. You cant talk to anyone up there. I really liked that. Since I was there for Aurora watching, I ended up staying awake all night and catching up on my sleep during the day.

There are 2 shared bathrooms in the hostel. The one on the second floor is smaller and will probably not make it as the top 10 cleanest bathrooms you have used in your entire life. But then, it is a hostel bathroom isnt it :) It is still clean and nice enough to use. The bathroom next to the kitchen on the first floor was something that really surprised me. It was huge and super clean. I tried to use this bathroom whenever it was free.

The people at the hostel have to be the absolute best part of my stay here. There is a person who has lived here for a long time in a teepee in the backyard. He keeps the kitchen and the common area as if it is his home :) I saw him clean the dishes that other people had forgotten to clean. He cleaned the kitchen shelf, stove and the table etc. if you get to see him , make sure you spend some time talking you him. I can guarantee that you will leave having learnt a thing or two about being a wiser person.

Overall, if you get a chance, try staying here for yourself and experiencing it first hand. If I go back to Fairbanks, I dont think I need to look for places to stay at anymore. This is where I will be coming back :)

Room Tip: there is a room with just 2 beds in it. I am not sure if they are more expensive that the other bunk beds. It might be worth asking Billie about them when making your booking.
6  Thank rtia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at the Billie's backpackers for 3 nights in March 2013. The place is warm and nice, you feel just like you are at home. The location of the hostel is good for aurora viewing, it's a little away from Fairbanks downtown, and has some open area around it. It will be better if it's not co-ed.

2  Thank rjmaomao
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The lady that is the owner is called Billie and she is nice. The hostel is clean, organized and I liked in general. The only thing that I didn't like it is the fact that I slept on a camping bed 3 nights and I wasn't expect that, it's the same price as the regular bed with mattress and Billie said that it was temporary, but it was for 3 nights I don't consider that temporary. She came to me to say that she will give me some money back but she just said, I didn't receive anything. However, I would recommend it to a friend!

2  Thank Bernardo J
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in March 2013, and found this hostel to be perfect. The owners are very friendly and caring people, they even made a huge pot of delicious moose and caribou chili for the guests when I was there! There are many bunk beds in the quiet area upstairs, and I found it to be quite comfortable for getting a good nights rest... although many people will be staying out late to catch the aurora. The bathrooms were very clean, and there was always plenty of hot water. Linens and towels were provided. I met some very cool people staying there long term as well as just visiting. It really does seem like a family atmosphere. Not to mention the price is extremely reasonable. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There is a small room upstairs with only one bunk bed... this is definitely a better option for getting a quiet night's sleep.
3  Thank glu800