Billie's Backpackers Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Wedgewood Resort(Fairbanks)
View Hotel
All reviewspeach cobblersweet homeinteresting peoplenice personnorthern lightsbooked a private roombunk bedsbus stophome away from homeliving roomclean towelsstay there againcomfortable place to stayother guestscoffee potvisiting fairbanksstayed nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Here I have met amazing people that I hope to count as friends the rest of my life. Fairbanks is all about extreme conditions: extreme cold weather, great auroras, and the best hostel ever: Billie's. As a traveler, you'll find: a couple of clean bedrooms and bathrooms, full kitchen, a nice living room, great service, a nice location to take the bus, and at the same time a perfect spot to watch the auroras. You will also find a combination of Billie's family, permanent residents, and travelers, all interacting as a big family. I can't wait to come back to Fairbanks, and of course to Billie's place!

8  Thank Dan_L-K
Reviewed November 26, 2012

After 1 one day flying, from Mexico to Fairbanks, when I got to Billies Backpackers, I felt just as if I was in home again! it's a very beautiful, homly and comfortable place!,ande the people there, were so very nice... without any doubt, the next year I hope be there again!!.... thank you very much Billie!

David; from Mexico

Room Tip: If you're going to Fairbanks, stay at Billie´s Backpackers
4  Thank Dvaid R
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed for 10 nights in total from 11 Nov to 21 Nov 2012 and it was a very homely experience. The hostel was clean and tidy, and facilities was sufficient to suit my needs as well. Billie never failed to keep us well fed with coffee at all times.

I had to check in late on my first night, and Billie was quick to let me rest for the night first before settling the administrative work the next day.

The hostel is filled with other fun loving people and we had plenty of nice conversations in the comfy living room area. I had a bit of problem with the mouse on the common computer and Billie was quick to have it rectified without any hassle too.

Location was great as it is a 3 minutes walk to the bus stop (Red and Blue line). There is also a perfect aurora viewing area which is just 5 minutes away, that is dark enough and have an unobstructed line of sight to the northern skies.

Billie and her family was always able to help me with my queries about Fairbanks as well as some of the surrounding areas too. Wifi coverage is good, covering both living room area as well as the dormitory. You can make free local phone calls which also greatly aided me too.

Will definitely be back again in Billie's Backpackers Hostel if I'm back in Fairbanks! Highly recommended to other travellers!

4  Thank Elvin_Toh_82
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have been comforted by some fantastic hostels, but Billie's Backpackers Hostel in Fairbanks is matchless. How can a place which exhibits such a vibrant atmosphere that inevitably comes out of an all year round tourist season, have such a consistent atmosphere of affability and warmth? I have lived around some of the most interesting people that I have had the pleasure to meet in my lifetime. The hostel doesn't just re-assure it's guests, but inspires them so that their stay, however short it maybe, is perhaps the most memorable experience ever. Over the course of my two month stay, I have been touched by the incomparable generosity of fellow guests including Billie's family. Billie, herself, is an embodiment of everything that's great about the population of Alaska. Warmth, soul, love and ceaseless compassion. In all honesty, I couldn't have dreamed of a better place; I would even go as far as to say that this isn't just a hostel. It's a forever strengthening international family, and the day that you join it, is quite possibly the greatest part of your trip.

Room Tip: A tip to help travelers choose a good room? Trust me, every room is a great room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Dan E
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great place to stay, though at first I thought it was a bit pricey to pitch my tent in the backyard. It ended up being worth it, largely due to the late 19th Century box grand piano!!! What a treat to get to play such a rare instrument. The Bach was okay, but that piano's really meant to play CHOPIN on.... If you play, definitely check out this hostel. Kitchen and accommodations are all groovy, too. Billie is quite the artist herself, and your soul won't be sorry to linger here, I promise.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends