“Give it a chance!”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“Give it a chance!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This place definitely doesn't impress from the outside. In other trips to Fairbanks, I had seen it from the outside and thought it was a total dive. And it's definitely a little "retro" inside. It appears to have been last remodeled in 1986. I had to laugh when I saw that my sink, tub, and toilet were all that mid-80's pale pink. But everything is well-maintained and clean. Unlike other reviewers, I felt my room was very clean, and I had no problems with my tub. The bed was comfortable, and were I to stay more than one night, I would definitely appreciate the full kitchen.

While checking in, I was a little concerned by the three 18 year olds trying to check in with cash, but the place was QUIET, despite being pretty full. I slept great. Breakfast is OK, if uninspired.

I had minimal interaction with staff, but everyone was friendly and efficient.

So while it's not an outstanding hotel by any means (not many hotels in Alaska are!), it's a good value, by Alaska standards.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kevin_from_AKandCO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Valley Springs, California
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This wretched dive appears at first to be quite nice. Do not be misled. While visiting Fairbanks, there has been something of a cold snap - in the words of a couple locals, it feels like snow. Outside temperatures running in the 40s. My room was in the 50s. When I called the front desk to ask how to warm it up, the response I received was that they turn off the heat in summer, but that they have space heaters for anyone cold. Oh wait, they're OUT! Well, how about blankets. An hour later, I finally got additional blankets, but only after another call to the front desk. When I again asked about other options for heating, the manager ridiculed me saying it was "mildly cool". I'm not from Alaska, nor will I EVER be, but that does not mean I should be miserable while here. The only conclusion to be drawn - customer satisfaction is not a priority and the management is downright cheap.

Other noteworthy details - be prepared for stained and torn up carpeting, grungy bathroom fixtures, 70s reminiscent formica kitchenettes. The one and only good thing, the beds are pretty darn comfortable for hotel beds.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jenn T

Travelers are raving about these Fairbanks hotels

Peoria Heights, Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located to the heart of Fairbanks. No the hotel is not a real fancy upscale hotel; but, this hotel has a very friendly atmosphere versus some of the sterile upscale hotels motifs

Room Tip: Third or fourth floors on the entrance side of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Canton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stay at the Regency Fairbanks Hotel whenever I come to town. The staff are very helpful and attentative. The rates are very affordable and the location is excellent, easy access to downtown and area shopping.
I would recommend the Regency Fairbanks Hotel to anyone visiting Fairbanks or the surrounding area.

John
Canton, Ohio

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a party that needs two rooms, consider getting a two room suite. We did fo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John J
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Public areas a little worn and dated, but room was fine. Large room, full kitchen, comfortable beds, good room darkening shades. Location very convenient. No noise issues with neighboring rooms.

Booked by using Priceline and had very good value for the price we paid, particularly by Alaska standards.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank traveler11223
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is out of date, but for the price and proximity, it isn't a bad deal. The staff is nice. The continental breakfast isn't much. We had a whirlpool that was so noisy, we just turned it off as I am sure calls would have been made to the front desk by neighbors. I couldn't hear the TV when my wife had it on! The curtains blacked out the sunlight pretty well to allow for sleep. I would stay here again unless another cheap option opened up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank phillipsrhit
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2012

It took me several weeks before deciding on this hotel in Fairbanks and even when I did book it I had a bad feeling about it. Well, I should've listened to my gut.

The hotel is old, like the other reviews have said. The kitchen in our room is very dated, the cupboards smelled funny. And the whirlpool honestly was so old I didn't even want to turn it on. But I think what had bothered me the most was when my fiancé first got into the room, there was toilet paper in the toilet. That grossed me out.

The only positive about this hotel that I can mention was how helpful the front desk was when we had to cut our 5 night stay to just 1 night. Despite a couple of phone calls through the booking company I used, the staff was very helpful and patient with the entire process.

Other than that if you can stay at another hotel, I suggest you go for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple