Downtown Log Cabin Hideaway Bed and Breakfast - Fairbanks, Alaska
Corvallis, Oregon
“A fine Alaska welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

The Log Cabin Hideaway is a delightful place to stay while in Fairbanks. Owners Al and Vera are most kind, helpful and respectful of privacy. They share cheery rooms on a quiet neighborhood street and within an easy walk of downtown eateries (try Bobby's Greek). Al has bikes he shares for free. I remain much obliged to Al and Vera for providing me and my travel partners a "home base" for our travels to and from wild Alaska.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

Me and my son stayed at the Downtown Log Cabin Hideaway for 2 nites .It was the best stay ever. Verna and Al are outstanding.We had the Hall House.It has a separate entrance,is spacious,very clean,nice decoration,comfy rooms etc. We shared the house the first nite and had it the second nite to ourselves as no one had booked the other room. Al even said we could use the bicycles (mountain bikes in mint condition)for free, which he kindly left in the garage for us. So i make it short: you'll feel like coming home to mom and dad.We would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ploiesti
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

I slept here 3 nights. From the very beginning till the end of my stay the hosts, Al and Verna, were very friendly; everything was ready when I arrived. The Studio was very clean, with all you need for having an excellent accomodation. Microwave, TV set, radio, etc. The refrigerator was full and the guest can easily prepare breakfast (in fact lunch and dinner also). Private bathroom with shower, clean towels.
The bed is huge and comfortable. Too bad the night is very short and there is not too much time for sleeping.
I also slept one night in a room in the main building. Very clean also, shared bathroom, but there is not a problem at all. Appreciate the conversation with Al and Verna at breakfast.
Consequently, I would like to highly reccommend this B & B, especially the Studio and I would like to come back to Downtown Log Cabin Hideaway, Fairbanks, AK.

Adrian, Romania

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank AdrianPloiesti
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

I travel a lot for work, but when I looked at room rates in Fairbanks, I was horrified. I chose to stay with Al and Verna, and booked the studio room.

Yes, this room is an upstairs room, and the bathroom is downstairs. But it is a large sunny room with a comfortable KING SIZE bed and a small kitchen, not to mention a futon. Do you know how rare king size beds are in Alaska???

Al and Verna had been waiting for our arrival, and Al was kind enough to sit down with me and map out some fun activities to make our stay in Fairbanks more enjoyable. The property is ringed with raspberry bushes, and the raspberries were ripe. Al encouraged us to pick all of the berries we could eat, so we sure did! They were delicious, and we picked a large bowl for breakfast, and then stored it in our little refrigerator.

Al and Verna provided everything we could need for breakfast: Cereal, bagels, toast, and coffee, that we could eat whenever we wanted. Al even left us a couple of beers in the fridge.

So....here's my review. If you require certain accomodations and need a hotel to be a corporate chain, like a Marriott, you are going to have difficulty in Alaska, and you're going to miss out on a lot, because there are large swaths of Alaska that don't have many amenities and aren't fancy.

But...if you are a bit of an adventurer, and you enjoy meeting down to earth nice people and being treated like you're family, you should definitely stay here. You'll love it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank dubiouswonder
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

Al and Verna are the most amazing hosts--they offered to pick me up at the airport. I loved my little room, and I loved that the room refrigerator was stocked with bagels, fruit, milk and juice, and the cupboards with cereal and other goodies. I could eat breakfast whenever I wanted, come and go when I wanted, and leave my extra baggage in their garage while I went on a trip. They offered me ripe raspberries from their garden. Truly, Al and Verna are like great in-laws with open arms.
I will definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AussieTraveler75
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

My husband and I picked the Studio apartment at the Log Cabin Hideaway property for its kitchenette. Neither the online description nor any communication with the owner prior to arrival said anything about the studio apartment being up a flight of steep stairs! The private bath is downstairs, along with a "dressing room" which is a handy place to keep the luggage (to avoid having to haul it upstairs). But we found ourselves continuously forgetting something downstairs, or upstairs, necessitating running up and down the stairs. The owners are very service oriented and eager to help acclimate guests to their city. This property encompasses units in 3 different buildings, so I can't comment on the other units available. All are located in a quiet residential area, close to "downtown," but definitely not in the "downtown" area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ForReality
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

The room was very nice - king-size bed and room for all our luggage. We were in a two-bedroom, one-bathroom house, so we shared a bathroom with other guests. The kitchen was stocked with plenty of food and had everything we needed. Very homey and comfortable. The decorations included several beautiful pieces of stained glass that had been created by Mrs. "Host." There was a wood stove in the living room, also a desk with information on the locale. What we appreciated most was the information from the hosts - Mr. "Host" had many tips for us and suggestions of things for us to do. He made it clear that he was available to help with anything we might need. The only negative was that it was late June, with the midnight sun, and the blinds did not completely darken the room. If we ever get back to Fairbanks, we will definitely call these people for another room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple