“Yummy”

Ranked #25 of 246 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Had a delicious Greek meal in Fairbanks. It is clean and has great service. The cook, Bobby, actually came out of the kitchen to greet us. We had a spinach chicken salad ($14.75) and chicken souvlaki with rice ($15.75). Great place to eat!

1  Thank Love2travelGuelph
There are newer reviews for Bobby's Downtown

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The head waiter/manager is an extrovert, who can make for an entertaining evening. On the night we went he seemed to be doing most jobs with a student assistant helping. It meant we had to wait a little longer for our food but when it came it was most enjoyable. The premises do not look that appealing from the outside, but it's worth the effort to go on.

1  Thank George P
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We went around 5:00 on a Saturday and there were very few patrons. The very worst part of this restaurant is the entrance. The seating area is past a large bar where there were several people smoking. It absolutely reeks and we nearly turned around and left. The restaurant seating area is smoke-free if you can get past get to it without losing your appetite. The service was wonderfully attentive without being intrusive. We thoroughly enjoyed our appetizers and main courses! The fresh vegetables were delicious as was the hummus and lamb. We found the prices more than reasonable considering the massive portions. Any of our dishes could have easily served two people instead of one. While we found the food and service to be very good, we will not return because of the stench of cigarettes. Really a shame.

2  Thank Architecture_Lover
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have always liked the atmosphere in Bobby's, especially when they had good live jazz in the bar. A nice glass of wine, an appetizer and a good evening was made special. I cannot say I have tried a lot on the menu, but he appetizers are consistent. Friday evening, we tried a dinner special which was a New York Strip sandwich with fries, I was pleasantly surprised! The quality was good, no fat, cooked med rare, served on a roll that was toasted so it did not fall apart. The price was fair for this town ($17)- we split the sandwich it was big enough for a light meal.I would order it again. But, I miss the good jazz. Live music was really an important part of this place.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is advertised as a high end Greek restaurant on 2nd street in downtown Fairbanks that has jazz on Fri and Sat nights. Sounded perfect. The place was attractive from the outside and had Greek music playing in the parking lot. When you walked in there was a huge bar area with lots of seating which made sense for jazz. We were shown to a super corner table in the dining room and realized that we were way overdressed in our slacks and sweaters. It is very casual all over Fairbanks. But the room was lovely even though the people were not. Ha.

The menu was eclectic to say the least. - an equal mix of Greek and Italian food. I ordered a Scotch on the rocks and got the tiniest drink I have ever seen. We each stared off with a dip.
My husband had a yoghurt ,cucumber, garlic dip (kind of like Raita) and I had the eggplant and feta dip, both came with hot pita bread. Yum. The portions were gigantic though. They were listed as appetizers. We had to get most of it to go as we would not have had room for anything else. Then we each had a salad - Greek for him and a mixed green for me. So far so good.

For our entrees, my husband picked a pizza from the 10 that were offered in this Greek restaurant. Bobby's Special, I think. It just looked horrendous with a very thick crust even before I accidentally upended it on to the white table cloth. After scooping it back on to the plate it looked even worse. I could see tomato, pepperoni, red and green paper, cheese , mushrooms, ground beef and sauce. it certainly did not look like any fine pizza I have ever had.

I made a big mistake and ordered halibut with rice and veggies. I passed on the potatoes. Yep. Every entree came with both rice and potatoes. Talk about carb overload. Of course, they brought the potatoes along with the rice anyway along with some very dry overcooked halibut. I sent it back only to get another piece of very hot dry overcooked halibut. This time the plate had a piece of plastic wrap in the rice. Easy to figure out how the halibut got overcooked. The waitress apologized for the plastic wrap and offered me a free dessert. We opted to take some chocolate mousse back to the hotel. It was just OK. Tasted pre-made.
As we were leaving we stopped in the bar to hear the jazz. There was a lone guitarist playing. We really thought there was going to at least be a trio. My husband, who is a composer said that the man was good, but after our lousy meal, we just wanted to go.

Sadly, I cannot recommend Bobby's to anyone for fine dining. If you do go though, stick to the dips and the salads and you can't go wrong.

Been to Bobby's Downtown? Share your experiences!