“disappointed”

Bobby's Downtown
Ranked #23 of 241 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
NYC
“disappointed”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

i think that it is the bar that keeps this place going because it seems to be a watering hole for the "locals". if you are unlucky enough to be seated by the bar, it smells like a stale ash tray. the food is extremely over-priced and (being from Greece) i found it to be lacking in Greek authenticity and mediocre at best. the owner considers himself to be something of a celebrity among the locals which is quite comical, but entertaining. there are far better places in which to dine in Fairbanks.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank anna t

• Greek first
Fairbanks, Alaska
“VERY GOOD!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We went for lunch to celebrate my daughter's birthday.
It was later in the afternoon, a bit after 2:00 the restaurant was empty except for a few people sitting at the bar. With the mixed reviews Bobby's has received I was a bit skeptical but we knew we HAD TO see the bathroom!
We were seated right away, our waitress Kirsten was very friendly and helpful.
She gave us some good recommendations.
I ordered the Pastitchio (a Greek style lasagna) that is only served at lunch.
She let me know that it is made to order and it may take a few extra minutes.
My daughter ordered the Lasagna and my mom had the Halibut and Chips.
The food arrived in 10-15 minutes, the time went by fast. Our waitress checked on us often, we checked out the LAVISH LADIES BATHROOM & looked around the restaurant.
The portions were HUGE & everything looked amazing!
All our dishes were hot.
The Halibut was crispy and not over-battered, moist and tender on the inside, the french fries were hot and crispy.
The Lasagna was hot and flavorful with excellent meat sauce.
The Pastitchio was TO DIE FOR! The Bechamel sauce with the ground meat and noodles, OH MY!
Our waitress overheard us talking about celebrating my daughter's birthday, she offered her a complimentary dessert. She choose Baklava, my mom picked carrot cake and I opted for Tiropita (Greek Tiramisu) I knew when our waitress came back to the table, the bad news was for me, they were out of Tiropita, so I went with the carrot cake.
The desserts arrived quickly, as she was serving us, she told us that Bobby personally makes the desserts.
The portions were generous and plated nicely, they tasted as good as they looked! Someone taught him well.
After lunch we talked with Bobby briefly. He was friendly and you could tell he has a passion for his restaurant.
WE WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK!
And you will just have to check out the ladies bathroom for yourself, it is worth it just for that!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank pattyak
North Pole, Alaska
“Better the second and third time around”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Went here the first time with my husband, we were on our way to a movie and decided to have dinner before. We waited an hour after ordering before I finally gave up and said were out of here. We grabbed the waitress to let her know we were leaving and just wanted to pay for our drinks. She said the food was ready and she was headed to bring it out, so I told her to go ahead and box it up we will take it with us. Seen our movie, went home and heated up our food. Mine was inedible, lasagna. It looked like they had cut lasagna noodles into squares, poured some sauce over it and called it good. I don't know if the lasagna has gotten any better but I have since given it a few other tries. Have tried the hot and cold plates, which were excellent. Pricey but you get alot on the plate. Also had lunch special once, pretty good. I do hear the pizza is good, maybe give that a try next time. I do think it is worth checking out if you haven't eaten there before. Love the decor, ambiance is nice.

• Visited July 2012
Atkinson, New Hampshire
“Great restaurant with local flavor”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were staying nearby and stopped in to have a drink. I had read about the place here. The lamb chops were recommended and I love them so we were thinking of having dinner as well. Someone had also mentioned what a nice guy Bobby was. He came out to the bar and we talked for a while. Promised to return for dinner the next night.

Boy were we glad we did. The lamb chops were to die for and they let me substitute a Greek salad for salad, potatoes, and veggies. One of the specials was fried prawns and they too were great. Bobby saw we had returned and have us a complimentary dessert. Then he bought us after dinner drinks and sat down to tell us more stories. Love the guy and boy can he cook. Definitely go eat there if you can.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Not impressed”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Service was slow. The waitress walked by my table numerous times without acknowledging me. The gyro I ordered for lunch barely had any meet in it. They were out of French fries so they offered an oily Greek salad as an alternative. When I arrived I was not asked if I had a smoking preference. I ended up being seated next to two guys who were smoking. (the smoke makes me physically nauseous). I wish I could give a 'higher' review but I did not enjoy my experience at Bobby's. I paid $13 for a gyro (with barely any meat in it) that would have cost me $6 back home in the midwest. Sorry.

1 Thank LisafromMadison