“A Unique Look at Alaskan History”
Review of Gold Dredge 8

Gold Dredge 8
Ranked #9 of 53 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: Join the Binkley family for a trip through Alaska's gold mining history at Gold Dredge 8. Enjoy a close up view of the Trans Alaska Pipeline and a presentation about it's construction and operation. Then take a seat aboard a replica of the narrow-gauge Tanana Valley Railroad and hear the conductor tell tales of prospectors who arrived by the thousands during the gold rush. The train ride takes you to Gold Dredge 8 where you will see first-hand how the dredge worked the gold fields, then receive a brief but informative course on gold panning. Once the train arrives at the camp, you will try panning for yourself! You will find gold- we guarantee it! Finally, explore the dredge camp and enjoy complimentary coffee and freshly baked cookies in the gift shop as your gold is weighed, then hop aboard the train and return to the station.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

You actually get to wonder around inside the dredge! On the train to the dredge you learn about the Alaskan gold rush and hear a local musician. Well organized entertaining tour!

There are newer reviews for Gold Dredge 8

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was fun and entertaining. It was part of the Princess land/cruise package so of course we went. Not sure I would go if I had to pay myself but it was fun.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was an enjoyable tour in which we learned about the Alaska Pipeline and about the Alaskan gold rush before trying our hands at gold panning. It was very well-staffed with plenty of friendly volunteers ready to help us find gold amid our rocks and dirt. The historical displays and opportunity to tour the dredge were also very interesting. Free cookies and cocoa were a nice touch, too. Once is enough, but we're not sorry we did it.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I guess it was not my cup of tea. We took our out of state guess & I guess for older visitors it might be interesting.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

It was fun to see an old working mine and actually try your hand at panning for gold, we each got a little bag to wash.....my bag had $21 worth of gold and my husband had $9. There is a gift shop that you can have your gold put in a locket, I did. Edward Hughes entertains you on the train to the facility. It was fun and a great family adventure.

1  Thank TVL4Ever3