“Nice hotel but......”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Good: The front desk was very accommodating and the breakfast saved us about $30/day in eating out. The prices for restaurant meals in Fairbanks are outrageous and the quality wasn't all that good. Salads, vegetables, and fresh fruits are generally missing from the menu, just burgers, fries, & fried fish.

The Bad: Housekeeping staff was the worst. We came back to our room late one afternoon and found our door was left ajar & not even latched! The cleaning staff just walked off leaving all our valuables exposed for theft. In 8 days, our room was never completely clean; towels & TP often missing. Sheets not changed, rings around the bathtub. Counter tops not wiped down. Puzzling!

1. We arrived at 1:30AM on July 4th. It was not so good. We had purchased a room with 2 queen beds and instead received a room with a single king. I went down and explained the situation and the front desk was able to give us a two queen room due to a "no show". 2. Front Desk was did their best and was accommodating. 2. Breakfast was filling, but daily equipment failures made pancakes an "iffy" thing. We would have liked some fresh fruit other than over ripe bananas. 3. Housekeeping was very bad. The issues with housekeeping continued on daily basis. 4. Location of the hotel was very good, close to WALMART, gas stations, & MickeyDees. 5. We had daily issues with our room keycard, which would work in the morning but not in the evening. 6. Parking was adequate but generally the lot was full as was the hotel. The housekeeping staff was the worst and most inconsistent that I have ever encountered. Our complaints about the housekeeping staff were generally mirrored by most of the guests staying there at the time. I would stay at the hotel, again, BUT only if they would fire their entire housekeeping staff and replace them with folks with a strong work ethic. The housekeeping is why I gave it a poor rating.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room facing the front of the hotel and not above the pool.
1  Thank owassoram
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Owassoram,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry the housekeeping efforts were not up to your expectations. While it was true we were experiencing staffing difficulties in housekeeping at that time, that is not an excuse for poor service. We have bolstered our housekeeping staff and I hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks that your will give us another try so we can show you that your experience was an anomaly and not the norm. I hope that we can retain your business and I do truly thank you for your review and hope that you will give us another try and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A bit pricey typical of Alaska, but this hotel was great. Our two queen rood was $199 - but even the Super 8 would have been $174. I have to get used to these prices in AK in July - but even with that I liked this hotel. Very friendly and knowledgable staff. The guest laundry was very useful after three days of camping. The room was big enough to setup our tent to dry out!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear John W.

Thank you for taking the time to review an your kind words regarding our hotel. I am glad we were able to accommodate your needs and Glad you chose to stay with us. If your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks, I hope that you will stay with us gain.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is very hard to find and breakfast was a joke. Didn't even have any milk and all the coffee pots were empty. I talked to manager and she just shook her head. The guy running the breakfast room was rude. Beautiful new hotel that is being run terribly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Retiredqueen47

Dear Retired Queen,
I do sincerely and humbly apologize for your breakfast experience. Our regular breakfast person was on vacation and the replacement just did not live up to your or our standards. I am sorry it affected your stay.
I hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks, you give me a call directly and I will set you up in a room and show you that we do know how to properly operate a hotel.

Again, My apologizes.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Passes my "C" rating test: Clean, Courteous staff, Comfortable stay, and Convenient location! Can't say anything negative. Breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express but that is fine with us. Staff was attentive in making sure everything was well stocked. When it looked like we may end up another night due to forest fires closing the highway, the manager was already on top of things making sure she had staff to cover extra guests, etc. I was pleased with my stay.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the front of the hotel. The other side is next to the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear cnbcgirl,

Thank youfor your kind words and positive review of our hotel. We pride ourself on our service and I am glad we lived up to your expectations.

I hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Fairbanks, you will honor us again with your reservation.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here last week after arriving by train from Denali National Park. Hotel room was nice and clean. But be aware that they do not provide shuttle services to Train Depo or the airport as some of the other area hotels do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen C
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Helen,

Thank you for your input. Thank you for finding our hotel nice and I do apologize for the lack of a shuttle. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express and hope that if your travels bring you back to Fairbanks you will stay with us again.

Lloyd

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I used up some random Priority Club points on our last night in Fairbanks at the HIE. Location was great... close to shopping strip and easy access to highways and gas stations. We attempted a fairly early check in and the front desk guy said that he would call us when our room was ready. We went to an afternoon movie and when we went to check in I mentioned that we never got our call that our room was ready and he sheepishly pulled off our sticky note with phone number on it from a list of about 8 sticky notes that probably didnt get a call either. I specifically asked for a king bed with pull out couch as we have two 7th grade boys and needed some extra sleeping spots. He assured me that was what we had. After lugging all of our luggage upstairs as well as our take out dinner, it was a double queen room and not what he said. When I went down to the front desk to ask for our correct room, he couldn't figure out how to make it right, and the lady at the desk with him wanted him to have to fix it himself and it was taking FOREVER so I asked if this training could not occur while my husband and kids were upstairs holding their food and luggage in the wrong room. In the elevator we encountered a housekeeper that couldn't have looked more miserable if she tried.

I also happened to notice that instead of running my Amex for incidentals (usually a $10 charge), the front desk guy ran it for $162 -- really? So I called to the front desk and got a giggly "oops, the person who did that must be new -- meanwhile, he had told us in conversation that he had worked there for two years. So I feel like I wasted my last few priority club points on this ridiculous experience, I dont even know that I have the wherewithall to email the general manager but maybe he or she will read this and respond. If not, at least I put it out for general consumption what our experience was like. I also did not ask for a wakeup call because general consensus from other travelers was that that wouldnt have been executed correctly either.

Its too bad because this is beautiful property, but the insides just dont match the outside.

1  Thank Alligus9266
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Alligus,

I do humbly and sincerely apologize for the service you received while at our property. We pride our self on our customer service and we obviously failed you. I am hoping that if your travels bring you back to Fairbanks you will give us the opportunity to make this up to you.

Thank you for your comments and I hope the rest of your travels were safe and comfortable.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and nice. The business Center has 1 PC and there was often a line to use it. Breakfast was good. Some of the staff could use a bit more training on customer service. Nice pool and work out area.
We had to catch an early flight and needed to be up at 5:30AM we called the front desk for a wake up call and never got it. We also set our alarm clock because I had read on an earlier review that they never got their wake up call and almost missed their flight. The alarm never went off and we never got our wake up call. Luckily we were in time to catch our flight.

Room Tip: This hotel doesn't offer very good views from your room. One is a highway and the other is a par...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear kellyfh,
Thank you for the kind review. I am so sorry you did not receive your wake up call. We have many new people at the desk so I appreciate your understanding. We are looking at putting another workstation in the business center, so thank you for your input on that.

Thank you again for your kind review and I hope you choose the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks if your travels bring you to Fairbanks Again.

Lloyd