“Good Hotel but”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here last week after arriving by train from Denali National Park. Hotel room was nice and clean. But be aware that they do not provide shuttle services to Train Depo or the airport as some of the other area hotels do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen C
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Helen,

Thank you for your input. Thank you for finding our hotel nice and I do apologize for the lack of a shuttle. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express and hope that if your travels bring you back to Fairbanks you will stay with us again.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I used up some random Priority Club points on our last night in Fairbanks at the HIE. Location was great... close to shopping strip and easy access to highways and gas stations. We attempted a fairly early check in and the front desk guy said that he would call us when our room was ready. We went to an afternoon movie and when we went to check in I mentioned that we never got our call that our room was ready and he sheepishly pulled off our sticky note with phone number on it from a list of about 8 sticky notes that probably didnt get a call either. I specifically asked for a king bed with pull out couch as we have two 7th grade boys and needed some extra sleeping spots. He assured me that was what we had. After lugging all of our luggage upstairs as well as our take out dinner, it was a double queen room and not what he said. When I went down to the front desk to ask for our correct room, he couldn't figure out how to make it right, and the lady at the desk with him wanted him to have to fix it himself and it was taking FOREVER so I asked if this training could not occur while my husband and kids were upstairs holding their food and luggage in the wrong room. In the elevator we encountered a housekeeper that couldn't have looked more miserable if she tried.

I also happened to notice that instead of running my Amex for incidentals (usually a $10 charge), the front desk guy ran it for $162 -- really? So I called to the front desk and got a giggly "oops, the person who did that must be new -- meanwhile, he had told us in conversation that he had worked there for two years. So I feel like I wasted my last few priority club points on this ridiculous experience, I dont even know that I have the wherewithall to email the general manager but maybe he or she will read this and respond. If not, at least I put it out for general consumption what our experience was like. I also did not ask for a wakeup call because general consensus from other travelers was that that wouldnt have been executed correctly either.

Its too bad because this is beautiful property, but the insides just dont match the outside.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alligus9266
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Alligus,

I do humbly and sincerely apologize for the service you received while at our property. We pride our self on our customer service and we obviously failed you. I am hoping that if your travels bring you back to Fairbanks you will give us the opportunity to make this up to you.

Thank you for your comments and I hope the rest of your travels were safe and comfortable.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and nice. The business Center has 1 PC and there was often a line to use it. Breakfast was good. Some of the staff could use a bit more training on customer service. Nice pool and work out area.
We had to catch an early flight and needed to be up at 5:30AM we called the front desk for a wake up call and never got it. We also set our alarm clock because I had read on an earlier review that they never got their wake up call and almost missed their flight. The alarm never went off and we never got our wake up call. Luckily we were in time to catch our flight.

Room Tip: This hotel doesn't offer very good views from your room. One is a highway and the other is a par...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear kellyfh,
Thank you for the kind review. I am so sorry you did not receive your wake up call. We have many new people at the desk so I appreciate your understanding. We are looking at putting another workstation in the business center, so thank you for your input on that.

Thank you again for your kind review and I hope you choose the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks if your travels bring you to Fairbanks Again.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on a recent trip to Fairbanks. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was perfect for going out on tours of the area. Seems as though this hotel is in the perfect area of town. Close to downtown, yet convenient to the North Pole and highways heading out to the arctic circle and the dalton highway. Would definitely stay here again if I was in town.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding the Holiday Inn Express and Suites. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Fairbanks!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed for one night before joining our cruise tour at another hotel in Fairbanks. The hotel was clean and appropriately decorated. Room was immaculate. Bed was soft and comfy. Bathroom was clean and well stocked. We really appreciated the Bath and Body Works shower gel; rare to find that in an economy hotel. The free breakfast was decent.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawnylaw
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Dawnylaw,

Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Fairbanks, Alaska. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you the next time you are in Fairbanks!

Thanks Again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've stayed here multiple times on business. On this recent stay, I had a room at end of hall on 2nd floor. At bottom of stairway is designated smoking area. The door is not key-card accessible - only a separate door to 1st floor. Consequently employees (and possibly guests, but I only saw employees) block open the door to 2nd floor (to regain access) and cigarette smoke filters in, up the stairs, and into hallway and my room. That occurred most every day & night I stayed there.

On exiting the building, the smoking area has a canister for cigarette butts, yet most of the smokers stamp out their butts and leave them scattered on the ground. Difficult to offer any respect for those choosing to smoke when they don't show equal respect. It also does not reflect well on the staff and management of this establishment. I saw this occurring at either end of the building. It's winter still in Fairbanks and smokers are forced outside to smoke which is unfortunate for them, but this type of behavior doesn't work to their favor.

Room Tip: upper floors may have less cigarette smoke from outside.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JonB199
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Jon B.

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we can improve. We have placed a stand-up ashtray out in front of the hotel and smokers stations at the end of each building, many of our guests that have to go outside to smoke do not have the courtesy of using these receptacles. The picking up of butts and trash in the parking lot and walkways is an ongoing process and can be difficult when the butts are frozen in the snow and ice or become apparent as the snow melts. We are trying to keep on top of this.

As far as a second or first floor smoking area, the hotel is 100% non smoking so I am confused as to the area you are referring to. I walk the building daily and have not seen any evidence of guest or employees smoking inside. I have had a meeting with the staff to make sure this is not happening. I would appreciate it if you would contact me at this e mail (lhuskey@thehotelgroup.com) or at 907.328.1100 so I may get a better understanding of this situation and make sure that your stays are 100% excellent.

Again thank you for the time you took to review us and hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express in Fairbanks has a terrific location, is new (so it's in very good shape), and the staff is, without fail, nice and welcoming and accommodating. We stayed here for a week when our son was involved in a week-long series of Nordic ski races in March 2013 and we found that the Holiday Express was just about ideal. We loved being close to Barnes & Noble (which has a nice Starbucks Cafe with a gigantic fireplace and cozy armchairs).

Room Tip: all of the rooms are just about the same... so no worries on picking a good room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TCWilliamstown
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind Review. We were very busy at the time you stayed with us and I am glad we provided the customer service and comfort you expected. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks and I hope we can serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,