“Wonderful short, overnight stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Ocoee, FL
“Wonderful short, overnight stay”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night before joining our cruise tour at another hotel in Fairbanks. The hotel was clean and appropriately decorated. Room was immaculate. Bed was soft and comfy. Bathroom was clean and well stocked. We really appreciated the Bath and Body Works shower gel; rare to find that in an economy hotel. The free breakfast was decent.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawnylaw
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Dawnylaw,

Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Fairbanks, Alaska. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you the next time you are in Fairbanks!

Thanks Again.

Lloyd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've stayed here multiple times on business. On this recent stay, I had a room at end of hall on 2nd floor. At bottom of stairway is designated smoking area. The door is not key-card accessible - only a separate door to 1st floor. Consequently employees (and possibly guests, but I only saw employees) block open the door to 2nd floor (to regain access) and cigarette smoke filters in, up the stairs, and into hallway and my room. That occurred most every day & night I stayed there.

On exiting the building, the smoking area has a canister for cigarette butts, yet most of the smokers stamp out their butts and leave them scattered on the ground. Difficult to offer any respect for those choosing to smoke when they don't show equal respect. It also does not reflect well on the staff and management of this establishment. I saw this occurring at either end of the building. It's winter still in Fairbanks and smokers are forced outside to smoke which is unfortunate for them, but this type of behavior doesn't work to their favor.

Room Tip: upper floors may have less cigarette smoke from outside.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JonB199
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Jon B.

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we can improve. We have placed a stand-up ashtray out in front of the hotel and smokers stations at the end of each building, many of our guests that have to go outside to smoke do not have the courtesy of using these receptacles. The picking up of butts and trash in the parking lot and walkways is an ongoing process and can be difficult when the butts are frozen in the snow and ice or become apparent as the snow melts. We are trying to keep on top of this.

As far as a second or first floor smoking area, the hotel is 100% non smoking so I am confused as to the area you are referring to. I walk the building daily and have not seen any evidence of guest or employees smoking inside. I have had a meeting with the staff to make sure this is not happening. I would appreciate it if you would contact me at this e mail (lhuskey@thehotelgroup.com) or at 907.328.1100 so I may get a better understanding of this situation and make sure that your stays are 100% excellent.

Again thank you for the time you took to review us and hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.

Warm regards,

Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express in Fairbanks has a terrific location, is new (so it's in very good shape), and the staff is, without fail, nice and welcoming and accommodating. We stayed here for a week when our son was involved in a week-long series of Nordic ski races in March 2013 and we found that the Holiday Express was just about ideal. We loved being close to Barnes & Noble (which has a nice Starbucks Cafe with a gigantic fireplace and cozy armchairs).

Room Tip: all of the rooms are just about the same... so no worries on picking a good room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TCWilliamstown
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind Review. We were very busy at the time you stayed with us and I am glad we provided the customer service and comfort you expected. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks and I hope we can serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I visited Fairbanks to see the Aurora Borealis, and I spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express. I thought it was a great choice because it was clean, spacious and the price was reasonable. Also, the staff was very helpful. When I arrived earlier than I expected, they let me use the gym while my room was prepared. The other pleasant surprise was that they're located next to a strip mall with several stores, including a Wal-Mart. That made things very convenient when I wanted to buy snacks and supplies for my aurora viewing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jason B
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Jason,

Thank you for your nice review and choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Fairbanks. I know you have a lot of choices when you travel. I appreciate you taking the time to kindly review our property.

Thank Again.

Brisbane
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and at first glance this Holiday Inn express is larger than the other HIEs I have stayed in, however there is still the same great service from the staff. My first night appeared to have a couple of school groups / ice hockey teams staying there and appeared quite rowdy when we checked in, however the rooms was nice and quiet and they all checked out the next day. Walmart is a few hundred meters away, plus the book shop across the parking lot has nice nice fireplace and coffee/cakes to spend some time.

Room Tip: There is a Japanese restaurant across the parking lot. Nice food and good service. Apparently room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pabloako
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
You traveled a long way to get to Fairbanks! Thank you for taking the time to review us. We really appreciate the feedback and hope that you can stay with us again soon.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Fairbanks!
North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife & I wanted a Jacuzzi Suite for our 8th anniversary celebration. We live in North Pole, just 14 mi south of Fairbanks. With all the winter activities going on it was hard to find one.

Holiday Inn has only been in Fairbanks for about 5 years. My wife & I were both off this Friday so I was lucky and got reservations my wife & I wanted a Jacuzzi Suite for our 8th anniversary celebration. We live in North Pole, just 14 mi south of Fairbanks.

We did not know what to expect. The receptionist was very knowledgeable and courteous as were all other employees. The room was exceptionally clean, spacious room and bathroom, big screen TV with cable, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot and king size comfortable bed. The Jacuzzi was looked small but we are 2 full size adults and had plenty of room to relax in.

There was also a 24 hour exercise room which had a big screen TV, 2 treadmills and exercise bike. There we also a medium size swimming pool of depth from 3 to 5 ft. Hot tub with jets. Sat 7 adults comfortably. The continental breakfast was served from 6-9:30am. A very good full breakfast as compared to some others hotels in the area.

Holiday inn is located in the largest shopping mall in Fairbanks. There are plenty of Restaurants ranging from McDonalds to Mr. Boston's, to Brewster’s Steak House. To name a few all within a 10minute drive.

I recommend this Hotel to locals and travelers alike. Ask about Military and other various discount.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert B
Lloyd H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Fairbanks.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review and hope that you can come stay with us again!

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Fairbanks in Early March...cold! However my room was HOT! I had to open the window to keep it cool! The AC wasn't working it would just pump out heat. Not a big deal, I liked the window open when I slept.

The hotel has plugs for your car to keep the engine warm.

Bed was standard, pillows are horrible (Don't let that bother you, most hotel pillows are bad to me.)

Cable TV was normal, they offer 2 HBO Channels, but the second HBO Channel was nothing but trailers for movies, and nothing else.

High Speed internet was slow, and my ipad kept getting kicked off and I would have to keep putting in the password for the wifi over and over.

Breakfast area was normal, nothing above a normal HIE breakfast area.

The room cleaners must of had a hard few days, they were there late every day! One night it was after 6 PM and they were still cleaning rooms. I left one morning at 8 AM and the cleaners were on my floor, I came back around 2 PM and they still didn't clean my room. I don't know if they ran out of time, but my room never did get cleaned. NOT a big deal, I can handle a day without my bed being made. :)
Also they had a bunch of high school kids there for something and they were extremely loud. My coworker was on a different floor and he had the same issue. Good thing they were quiet by midnight!

I will return to this hotel if I make it to Fairbanks.

There are a few fast food restaurants in the area and they also have stores within walking distance, Old Navy, Walmart, Lowes, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway, it is pretty loud.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lloyd H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fairbanks, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is a tough time of year for heating and cooling. Still too cold to turn on the chiller but not cold enough to compensate for the heat running through the heaters. I am sorry for the inconvenience. We were (are) slammed at this point and it is a struggle in houskeeping since this blip is an anomaly for the winter/spring business.

Again, thank you for your very reasonable and insightful review. It is much appreciated.