“Old Can Be Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 10 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Lake Villa
“Old Can Be Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

A group of our friends from various parts of the US traveled east and spent one night at the Inn. It was great. The rooms were all wonderful. The outside area was perfect for us to meet as a group to socialize and relax. Restaurants were very close. We all loved it and breakfast was wonderful. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: This is an inn in an historic building in Fredrickburg. Extremely comforstable. The town has colonia...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ashland, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I should start by saying that I do not see myself as a B&B enthusiast by any means. This was my boyfriend's suggestion and all I could imagine was dining with weird people and hearing them through thin walls. This was NOT the case! The building is beautiful; we didn't hear a peep out of anyone; Bonnie and her staff are lovely! They didn't dote on us as I had imagined but were friendly, showed us the accommodations, and left us to enjoy ourselves-- which was the entire point of the visit.
The food was AMAZING! Hummingbird cake! Some insanely delicious souffle and delicious coffee! There were cookies, chocolates and drinks in the dining room and in our rooms throughout the day. The temperature was perfect in the rooms which as nice considering it was 100 outdoors.
I enjoyed reading the history of the inn and Bonnie's bio. She has a sense of humor... we thought she was great!

Room Tip: The Loft is two stories and quite large... we enjoyed it! In the history of the inn, there are two r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon P
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

The Richard Johnston Inn is a perfect place to stay if you are traveling alone, yet require amenities for business. The innkeeper, Bonnie, assisted me for car rental, and other business needs. She drove me to the rental station which was about four miles away and waited to make sure I got my car!

The hearty breakfast was excellent and filling. The entire staff were friendly and attentive to my personal needs throughout my two night stay.

My visit was during the heat wave of 9 plus days, the Richard Johnston Inn and staff worked overtime to ensure all guests were comfortable and relaxed.

Fredericksburg is an amazing historical gem. I saw as many sites as time would allow, knowing that the Inn was just down the main street of town. I will definitely stay here again, when I return to Fredericksburg. This was a great find.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 207sesan
Tryon, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We really enjoyed the Richard Johnston Inn. Walk out the front door and you are in downtown historic Fredericksburg, with shopping and historic sites in easy walking distance. The courtyard out back made for a great place to meet other guests at happy hour. Very comfortable, historic property and wonderful food at breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff B
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I rented a room for a night for my parents and they loved every minute of it. The rooms were well appointed and spacious, and the staff was great. There was also a great complimentary breakfast that my parents loved!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PlatinumDC
Central, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

The Caroline House is a wonderful location for a get away. The house is beautiful and has very special touches through out! It was all we could have expected and more. The William Riley Suite was very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We would be happy to visit again. Richard P

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The Johnston Inn is located on Caroline Street, in the heart of Fredericksburg. I’ve stayed in three of Fredericksburg’s B&Bs, and this is the best of them. The house dates from the 18th century, and the Old Town room has burn damage from the 1862 Battle of Fredericksburg.

I’ve been twice, and stayed in the Freyus Room and the Old Town. These are the premier rooms of the Inn, are on the top floor, and are almost exactly alike (I think they sit back to back—and are mirror images). I have a slight preference for the Old Town. These are large rooms—about 18 X 25, with king sized beds.

There is a popular Irish pub next door. I always travel with a white noise maker, so it hasn’t bothered me, but you can count on some loud noise from the bar’s patrons, especially at 2am when it closes.

While this is a great B&B, there are two downsides: The bathrooms are way over due for a renovation, and there are some water pressure issues. And, although it is Bed & BREAKFAST, you only get a real breakfast on the weekends.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in the Old Town and the Frejus - they are both great, with a slight nod to Old...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple