Richard Johnston Inn
Travelocity
$99
$74
$105
All reviewsoff street parkingcanopy roomprivate parking lotother guestsbreakfast was deliciousthe main housecaroline streetcookiesquichehistoric fredericksburgb bsromantic getawaythe trolley tourperfect locationbed and breakfastcivil warliving room
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights on a Living Social deal for the William Riley Suite. The 1890 Caroline House is run by the Richard Johnston Inn B&B just a few blocks down the road. It has only been open since 2010 and the Innkeeper is Lindi. Laura walked down from the Richard Johnston Inn and checked us in. She was so enthusiastic and warm. She explained everything very well. Upon stepping into the house, prepare to be stunned. It's decorated so beautifully and is extremely well kept. There are endless antiques and decorative items put together in a way that it belongs in a magazine! The kitchen is GORGEOUS, but there primarily for the innkeeper's use in the morning (no cooking allowed, though you can keep a bottle of wine or snack in the fridge and get coffee/tea/hot chocolate (Keurig machine) when you want. The William Riley suite is totally worth staying in: huge, well appointed, comfortable bed, desk, two flat screen HDTVs,Cable, DVD and CD player, CDs and DVDS to borrow, magazines, toiletries, blowdryer.... I brought my own blowdryer, q tips, cotton balls, etc... They have it all and also toiletries to borrow (maybe stuff left behind by guests?) from perfume, to shower gels and shampoos as well as some typical small bottles of the same stuff. There is also little scented oils for the tub which were very nice. Breakfast was amazing both mornings- Lindi is an awesome cook and host. Honestly, we have been to many NICE Hotels and NICE Bed and Breakfast places and have NEVER been more impressed than we were at The 1890 Caroline House. We will definitely be back since we also loved Fredericksburg. So much to see there: Civil War historical sites, gardens, plantations, historical homes, art and artists of all kinds, great restaurants, and nice people. Well worth a visit (or more). I reccomend all the restaurants we went to as well- Sammy T's, The Sunken Well Tavern, The Capital Ale House, and Castiglia's. All Were Casual dress and good food and service. I really liked Sammy T's Falafel (in a salad)!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy T
Reviewed March 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I were bed and breakfast first-timers as we arrived at the Richard Johnston Inn and not quite sure what to expect, but we had a lovely experience! Bonnie was very kind and accommodating of our late arrival, and we made it to Fredericksburg just in time to enjoy the gorgeous courtyard as the sun was setting. After a nice tour of the home, we took Bonnie's dinner recommendations and headed out for a walk around the historic town.

We stayed in "The Old Town" room, up two flights in the attic, and loved it. The room was the best of both worlds: full of antiques and lovely furniture, but also boasting the modern amenities you're searching for when traveling. The bathroom had toiletries, robes, a hair dryer and even a full-size box of tissues -- something I don't see too often as other hotels scale back. We didn't want for anything. The room was very comfortable.

Our "breakfast" part of the bed and breakfast was delicious, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the dining room. Tea, coffee and other treats were set out and ready for us when we arrived downstairs around 7:30 a.m., and the early hour didn't dampen Bonnie's graciousness. The two resident dogs are incredibly sweet and very well-behaved, and one befriended my boyfriend as we enjoyed our meal.

The courtyard was easily a highlight for me: it was just enchanting. The ivy-covered wall and trickling fountain were very relaxing, and we saw several other guests out enjoying their dinners or nightcaps in the garden after hours. It was very serene, and I only wish I could have enjoyed it longer.

It was exactly what we were looking for -- comfortable accommodations in a great spot, as everything was easily within walking distance of the inn. Private, clean and very convenient, we loved ducking in the antique shops on Saturday morning and getting a milkshake at Goolrick's. Would definitely stay there again, and hope to hit more bed and breakfasts in our travels!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarylandCupcakelover
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Richard Johnston Inn twice in the past year. Our daughter is a freshman at the University of Mary Washington, and the Richard Johnson Inn has been a convenient and charming place to stay.
The Kitchen House is a large room with a nice mixture of charm and amenities.
My only complaint are the breakfasts. During the week there isn't anything hot. The website makes that clear, but it would be nice to have something - oatmeal or something simple.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank redgirlroanoke
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I visited Fredericksburg for Presidents Day weekend and had a lovely experience at the Richard Johnston Inn. The accommodations were spacious and clean, and the weekend breakfasts were delicious-- one day we had eggs over sundried tomatoes and canadian bacon with melted cheese, and another day we had stuffed croissants. The innkeepers also hosted a wine and cheese tasting on Saturday evening, and it was a nice opportunity to meet the other guests and get more ideas for tours and restaurants.

In addition to wonderful food and service, the inn had the advantage of being in a perfect location. It is in easy walking distance of everything, including the VRE/Amtrak train station. We came via train and were glad we had done so -- we weren't sure what we would have used a car for if we'd had one! I would say that if you plan to stay more than 2 - 3 days you might want a car to make day trips, but for a long weekend trip there is plenty to see and do in historic Fredericksburg.

Room Tip: We were in the Isabella Suite, which is below the rest of the house. The suite is very spacious, and the only drawbacks are 1) it can be noisy when people come in and out of the house above and 2) there are no windows to open. (The entry door has a window built in, but you can't open it, and there are no other windows in the space). Neither of these items were a problem for us, but I do think they are worth mentioning in case this would be of importance to someone else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

As soon as we entered, we were greeted by Wendy and the 2 resident dogs. Wendy registered us and informed us of where to find local tourist attraction information. As a long-time area resident, Wendy also provided us with a wealth of local information and suggestions. She also offered to make any dining reservations for us. The suite (the Loft) was absolutely amazing. It was spacious, but intimate at the same time. It offered us seclusion and quiet. The historic Inn is within walking distance of shops, restaurants, civil war battlefields and sites. Bonnie's breakfast on Saturday morning was outstanding.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple