“Overrated”

Carl's
Ranked #1 of 23 Dessert in Fredericksburg
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Open from Friday before Presidents Day through Sunday before Thanksgiving. 3 flavors, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry made fresh every day. Historical landmark with huge neon cone on top. Walk up window with outdoor patio. Cash only.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is not ice cream nor custard, it's something in between.
There are few choices - Do you want vanilla or chocolate
There are very few toppings
No inside seating and the outside seating consist of concrete benches
In an area that has a Jimmy T's, Cold Stone Creamery, Rita's, Dairy Queen and Wally's Homemade, I don't get the attraction.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

Carl’s is a Fredericksburg staple. Delicious custard ice cream and sundaes. If you’re looking for ice cream in the area, here’s your place.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Ice cream cones cake or sugar. Soft serve ice cream vanilla chocolate or strawberry. Shakes and sundaes too. Order at window and eat in the car or find a spot on the curb. Old fashion and local favorite for sure.

Reviewed September 24, 2018

Carl's is a cash-only establishment that offers frozen custard in three flavors - chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Given that my family has a variety of taste buds, we got the three flavors and shared them so that everyone could sample.

Not gonna lie, it is darn good! I'm a chocolate lover myself and I actually think the strawberry was the best one!

There is plenty of off-street parking. And I guess we went at an off time, because there was no waiting for us.

Note - it IS CASH ONLY. We almost had a disaster because we were not aware of that beforehand. (My fault, I should have checked tripadvisor!) But fortunately it is not very expensive and we had the cash in the wallet to pay for the three flavors.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

Every time I visit family in Virginia, I make a point of swinging by Carl's frozen custard stand. Only three flavors (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry), but the consistency is unlike any other "ice cream" I've had. There's usually a line, but it moves fast. Oh, and cash only.