“Frozen Custard”

Carl's
Ranked #1 of 23 Dessert in Fredericksburg
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Open from Friday before Presidents Day through Sunday before Thanksgiving. 3 flavors, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry made fresh every day. Historical landmark with huge neon cone on top. Walk up window with outdoor patio. Cash only.
Reviewed September 24, 2018

Carl's is a cash-only establishment that offers frozen custard in three flavors - chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Given that my family has a variety of taste buds, we got the three flavors and shared them so that everyone could sample.

Not gonna lie, it is darn good! I'm a chocolate lover myself and I actually think the strawberry was the best one!

There is plenty of off-street parking. And I guess we went at an off time, because there was no waiting for us.

Note - it IS CASH ONLY. We almost had a disaster because we were not aware of that beforehand. (My fault, I should have checked tripadvisor!) But fortunately it is not very expensive and we had the cash in the wallet to pay for the three flavors.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

Every time I visit family in Virginia, I make a point of swinging by Carl's frozen custard stand. Only three flavors (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry), but the consistency is unlike any other "ice cream" I've had. There's usually a line, but it moves fast. Oh, and cash only.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

It was a misty Friday night and we’d been cooped up (thanks, Hurricane Florence!) for most of two days. So we ventured out for some frozen custard, as my husband had never experienced Carl’s. Many others had the same idea as, between those standing in the line that snaked round the building and those enjoying their orders already, the number exceeded 20 people. The line moved quickly and we got our hot fudge sundae (his) and vanilla cone (hers). The price was reasonable and we enjoyed our items.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Carl’s has the best soft serve ice cream in town made by an old fashioned ice cream machine. It is the oldest working one in the nation. A must try. Cash only.

Reviewed September 6, 2018

Maybe not the best ice cream ever, but probably the best ice cream experience ever. Chose from 3 flavors, and move along.