“Clean, quiet, and friendly: exactly what we look for.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fredericksburg South (I-95)
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Columbus, Ohio
“Clean, quiet, and friendly: exactly what we look for.”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a few days during our recent trip to Virginia. This hotel was clean and quiet (and I'm VERY picky about cleanliness in hotels). We ended up in a suite (oh, darn), which was actually two adjoining rooms; one room is the bedroom area, and the other has a kitchenette with microwave, sink, and mini-fridge, a dining table, and a seating area with a sofa, chairs, and television. This would probably be especially nice for a family or a businessperson.

The bed was comfortable (though the pillows seemed a bit small), and the curtains definitely kept the room pitch-black! Also, one can open the windows to let fresh air in, something I always prefer when in a hotel. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was fine (not spectacular, but who in the world expects haute cuisine at a non-five star hotel?), the internet worked perfectly. There also seemed to be plenty of parking. We had a very nice stay and would stay here again.

Also, for those with aesthetic concerns, I'd like to note that the photos here are old. The laughable Formica top meant to resemble (mock?) wood countertops in the bathroom have been replaced with something much more easy on the eye (probably a composite stone, but I really didn't care other than it looked nicer). The decor isn't quite as garish as shown in the photographs and is in fact fair for a hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaimannaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
POCONOS, PA
Reviewed September 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for the NASCAR race in Richmond. The hotel is very easy to find, great direct access to and from I-95. Super efficient check-in, our keys were waiting when we arrived at 11:00. Fresh cookies were waiting as well! Room was spacious and exceptionally clean. Bed was very comfortable after a long trip. There is a Denny's next door and many other dining options nearby. The breakfast buffet was somewhat sparse other than the waffles, but we don't choose hotels for the free food. We got a great rate from Hotels.com and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TC-PA
NH
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed here twice in past 2 weeks. Less than I expected from a Country Inn and Suites looks like a redo of some thing else. Nothing to complain about, very clean, nice pool area. Dennys next door. Just a basic place nothing flashy or thrilling. Clean comfortable room for a decent rate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NHguy33
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My extended family and I had to travel to Fredericksburg for a family emergency and we all stayed at the Country Inn. The rooms were big and clean, the beds extremely comfortable, and the staff was polite and helpful. The hotel has warm cookies at the front desk free to all guests, the breakfast which was included was good - typical bagels, waffles, gravy & biscuits, cereal, whole fruit and oatmeal. The lobby was comfortable and they allow you to borrow books - even beyond your stay at the hotel. There was also a single computer that had free internet access.

My mother was able to send and receive faxes for an emergency without a fee. The staff was extremely understandable and accommodating and for the price we paid (around $85/night) it was above and beyond any expectations that any of us had.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank babystepstraveler
silver spring,md
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We like Country Inns and as we were in FRedericksburg for an antique show choose this one. I was disappointed about two things. First of all they didn't have any foam pillows only feather. It is a good thing I called and asked. I'm allergic to feathers, so I brought my own pillows. SEcond, the breakfast tho they did have make your own waffles, were out of alot of things. No bagels, nor muffins. The room was large and quiet, but the bathroom was small.

• Liked — the room had a sofa in it too
  • Disliked — no foam pillows
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Seymour E
SCRANTON,PA
Reviewed August 9, 2008

at inquire upon check in ( i.e. a cot for the room with related charge ) we were told to call orbitz, they could not adjust. when requesting a wake up call, i was disconnected 3 x. when i approached the front desk i was told they were understaffed.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
Reviewed June 25, 2008

This is our favorite hotel chain and we are Gold Points members. I booked our room on-line; didn't notice anywhere that states the top floor is ALL SMOKING. I clicked onto the NON SMOKING icon, then where it asked for "special things", typed in top floor if possible.

We always request a top floor at any hotel because we don't like listening to the "pitter patter" of feet above us.

When we checked into the hotel we were told we had a smoking room. We told them we did NOT check the smoking icon and the clerk told us their top floor was ALL smoking! She then changed us to the 1st floor (the PET floor!!!!) and we asked if there were any other rooms since we did NOT have a pet.

We finally ended up on the 3rd floor; usual spacious king room with good selections on the t.v. The bedroom area was clean; bathroom was clean except for a black hair on the clean washcloth on the sink area (on the one folded accordian-style) and one on the commode (which we had not used). Figured they must be from the cleaning staff and dealt with it.

All in all, the room was clean and the mattress good and firm, HOWEVER........it was a THICK mattress and the regular size sheets were on our mattress and kept coming off during the night and getting wadded up beneath us! If hotels are going to use these new size mattresses, they should use the correct size sheets! The fitted sheet came down to just halfway towards the bottom of the mattress! It is not fun to wake up to a sheet hitting you in the face at 1am!

We usually do our traveling in May and September when schools are still in session. We had to listen to doors slamming on our floor and those above and beneath us til around midnight. Had it not been for this fact, our stay would have been perfect. The walls are thick enough so that no voices were a problem, just children allowed to run wild up and down the halls.

This is a good hotel and we would probably stay there again, just not on a busy weekend in June!

• Liked — Proximity to our relatives in the area
  • Disliked — Rude children slamming doors til midnight and ill-fitting sheets on mattress
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple