“Mixed review”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We brought a large group of family and friends here for our son's 21st birthday. Those who ordered seafood were generally pleased with their food, however, those who had beef universally felt that it was one of the worst meals they have eaten out. The main issue was the fact that the beef was served in a pool of tasteless oil of some kind - combined with the fact that the cut of beef wasn't particularly tasty. The seafood was also served in this pool of oil but most felt that it was tasty enough to still render a positive review. Bottom line - I was mortified that I had selected this restaurant for our son's birthday celebration and would not return.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I do not consider myself a world traveler, but I have done quite a bit of traveling in the USA and have eaten at many, many nice restaurants. The Olde Town Steak and Seafood Inn in Fredericksburg, VA has the BEST prime rib I have EVER experienced: anywhere, any time place or any place! Its taste is exquisite, absolutely wonderful! It is flavorful through and through, melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness. And the au jus is out of this world!!!! You will NOT need a salt shaker on this piece of meat! Of course, the service is great and the décor is tasteful, but I come for the prime rib!

The "new" main dining room is a little loud and busy. If I were you, I'd ask to be seated in the older sections of the restaurant, away from the hustle and bustle. That's where you can consume the best prime rib in the world in peace, tranquility and privacy. LOL.

My wife and I have actually traveled 300 miles from our home in North Carolina and spent the night in Fredericksburg TWICE just so we could dine at the Olde Towne Inn on special occasions. I know I'm "laying it on a little thick", but I just can't say enough good about this place. It is WONDERFUL...

4  Thank SouthernTraveler1861
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Olde Town Steak and Seafood is not your everyday steak and seafood restaurant and it is not for the faint of heart went it comes to menu pricing. Their prime rib is the best in town and it is cooked to perfection. Also, their broiled seafood platter is excellent. We have never had a complaint concerning the quality and/or the quanity of the food. They are very expensive and this includes alcohol, appetizers and entrees. The menu is not family friendly i.e. leave your children home with a babysitter. Service was good, but not exceptional. As previously stated, a great special occassion restaurant.

2  Thank rlisaint
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went to Olde Town Steak & Seafood last night . This was the worst dining experience I've ever had. A filet was $31.00. It came with a baked potato or fries & a salad. They had no sauces for the filet such as au poivre or a wine reduction so I asked for grilled onions. After asking a couple of times the waitress finally agreed to ask the chef but doubted he would do it because it wasn't on the menu. When she returned she confirmed he wouldn't do it because he only had one onion & it wasn't on the menu. We were also informed there was no cheese, scallions or bacon for our potatoes because they are not on the menu. It's hard to believe at these prices that this restaurant would be so unaccomodating but they were. We even spoke to the owner who wasn't the least bit interested in the poor service or our poor dining experience. Despite their crisp linens they are not a fine restaurant. The food was blah; sour cream was served in plastic shot glasses; butter was in foil wrappers. My filet was served in a bowl of bacon grease. I promise you will enjoy McDonalds more and save a ton of money. Don't even consider this rip off.

3  Thank Bailey4321
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Having not dined at Olde Towne for several months, the lure and memories of its especially outstanding/mouth-watering Prime Rib, overall quality and wonderful service brought my wife and I back for a Mothers Day celebration dinner. Once again, we were not disappointed. Her king-cut Prime Rib was as huge, tender, juicy and delicious as ever - my goodly portion of Olde Towne Blackened Chicken with Shrimp & Crabmeat topping (on a diet, so decided to try the chicken, which I had never had before) was tender and flavorful - a definite winner, even for a basically beef, lamb and veal-lover like myself. Once again, we marveled at the scrumptious stuffed oyster appetizer - if only we knew the recipe and if only there were 4 of them instead of only 3 (sigh). The rolls were warm and good, the tossed salad veggies fresh and crisp, the blue-cheese dressing thick and great, the baked potato tasty and cooked just right, the crab soup nicely flavorful (tho seemingly a tad not as thick as I had remembered?), our waiter and service outstanding, as was the usual friendliness and cheerfulness of the owner-hostess. Yes, the prices are pricey for this area, but we believe well worth it for an occasional special dining out, and especially for the Prime Rib, on a par with the best we have ever had anywhere in the world. Having eaten here over 40 times in the last 13 years, we truly cannot believe some of the "terrible"! ratings this great restaurant has received. Oops, sorry, got to go - the Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches my wife just cooked up with half of the Prime Rib she brought back, are ready! MMMM!

1  Thank Lou B