“Huge rip off!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went to Olde Town Steak & Seafood last night . This was the worst dining experience I've ever had. A filet was $31.00. It came with a baked potato or fries & a salad. They had no sauces for the filet such as au poivre or a wine reduction so I asked for grilled onions. After asking a couple of times the waitress finally agreed to ask the chef but doubted he would do it because it wasn't on the menu. When she returned she confirmed he wouldn't do it because he only had one onion & it wasn't on the menu. We were also informed there was no cheese, scallions or bacon for our potatoes because they are not on the menu. It's hard to believe at these prices that this restaurant would be so unaccomodating but they were. We even spoke to the owner who wasn't the least bit interested in the poor service or our poor dining experience. Despite their crisp linens they are not a fine restaurant. The food was blah; sour cream was served in plastic shot glasses; butter was in foil wrappers. My filet was served in a bowl of bacon grease. I promise you will enjoy McDonalds more and save a ton of money. Don't even consider this rip off.

3  Thank Bailey4321

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Having not dined at Olde Towne for several months, the lure and memories of its especially outstanding/mouth-watering Prime Rib, overall quality and wonderful service brought my wife and I back for a Mothers Day celebration dinner. Once again, we were not disappointed. Her king-cut Prime Rib was as huge, tender, juicy and delicious as ever - my goodly portion of Olde Towne Blackened Chicken with Shrimp & Crabmeat topping (on a diet, so decided to try the chicken, which I had never had before) was tender and flavorful - a definite winner, even for a basically beef, lamb and veal-lover like myself. Once again, we marveled at the scrumptious stuffed oyster appetizer - if only we knew the recipe and if only there were 4 of them instead of only 3 (sigh). The rolls were warm and good, the tossed salad veggies fresh and crisp, the blue-cheese dressing thick and great, the baked potato tasty and cooked just right, the crab soup nicely flavorful (tho seemingly a tad not as thick as I had remembered?), our waiter and service outstanding, as was the usual friendliness and cheerfulness of the owner-hostess. Yes, the prices are pricey for this area, but we believe well worth it for an occasional special dining out, and especially for the Prime Rib, on a par with the best we have ever had anywhere in the world. Having eaten here over 40 times in the last 13 years, we truly cannot believe some of the "terrible"! ratings this great restaurant has received. Oops, sorry, got to go - the Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches my wife just cooked up with half of the Prime Rib she brought back, are ready! MMMM!

1  Thank Lou B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Olde Towne Steak and Seafood (despite the silly extra "e's") remains one of Fredericksburg's best upscale dining options. The place suffers a bit from a location outside of the main commercial area in downtown Fredericksburg and therefore tourists don't often find it--but if you are a visitor to town and want either a great, huge, steak or delicious seafood, it's worth tracking down.

Prices are not cheap--more akin to what you would find in the Washington area--but the atmosphere is very pleasant, service crisp and efficient, full bar available, and portions are gigantic. The quality of the food is as good as it gets.

This is perhaps the best dining experience in town--well known to the locals for over 39 years--but a bit of a mystery for those just visiting. Search it out--you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We came to Olde Towne on the recommendation of a local. Usually a very good call, not this time. I regret that we did not read some of the reviews listed here BEFORE we spent good, hard-earned $$$money$$$ at this establishment. My husbands' meal was tasty, but again, way overpriced for the portion size and quality of food. I ordered the steak (Delmonico) served with two stuffed shrimp (w/crabmeat). Possibly I could be wrong, but I don't think I should have sawed my steak to cut it, nor chewed it endlessly to consume it. The salads were, well not worth mentioning, so never mind. Our baked potatoes seemed to have been "re-heated", not fresh nor appetizing.
We were visiting F'burg for the first time, taking in the sites of the battlegrounds and commemorating the 150th year of the Civil War. It is a lovely, historic town. But we will not return to Olde Towne food establishment. Nor would we recommend this eatery to other family or friends visiting this area. I truly am USUALLY a very positive person. So on that note I will offer my good insight on this restaurant visit: the drinking glasses were very clean and the water was ice cold and satisfying.

3  Thank KimFink
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I took my family there for a birthday. We ordered lobster bisque and it came out pasta sauce. I asked the server if this was crab soup and she said no. I own a restaurant, it was crab soup and not good crab soup. $300.00 later with tip and I was so mad my wife asked that I wait until a later date to express my concerns. I feel sorry for these people because they have invested way too much money in the wrong places. The kitchen is what needs help, not the bar. The Chef has to turn the Raines over to new young chefs who think out of the box. The rest of our meal was so pedestrian it made me sick.

3  Thank arl66