“Awesome time!”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 441 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Manassas, Virginia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome time!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

The food was awesome! We went for a late valentines day dinner. It was our first time and had a great experience:)

Visited February 2012

Fredericksburg, VA
“Amazing experience ringing in the New Year!!!!”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My husband and I along with a few friends decided to celebrate New Years at the Melting Pot here in Fredericksburg, VA - we are so happy we did!!!!! We have been here several times and have loved it every time, but tonight was especially great. Our server Victoria was attentive, so much fun, and made sure to explain all of the courses in order to maximize our experience. We left super full - so much food!!! At midnight we all stood at the bar and watched the ball come down on the television, and then it was all you can drink champagne. So glad we rang in the new year at the Melting Pot - we will certainly be coming back sooner than later.

• Visited December 2011
Virginia
“Celebrating at Melting Pot has changed over the past few years, but it's still a fantastic experience”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We went to celebrate my mother's birthday, and they ask during reservations if you are celebrating anything, so the manager was aware. When we arrived (weekday evenings are a plus), we were seated right away. It was Mother/Son night, which is cute and a good deal at $22/head for a 4-course meal, and the restaurant also includes Mother/Daughter, etc. We only opted for the cheese course and dessert course.

Our server was nice but she wasn't very interactive. She didn't know about the birthday, so I had to tell her, and she left our fondue pot on high and left for about 20 minutes before coming back to start the cheese. She didn't check on us but about 3 times during the course of our stay. We saw the manager more often than we did her, and he is very attentive.

Birthdays are now a candle in one of the cheesecake slivers that already come on the dessert platter. It used to be a balloon on a jar of chocolate fondue, and I would have gladly paid extra for that. The portions and selections for the cheese and chocolate courses also reflect that the restaurant is either cutting back or cutting corners to perhaps accommodate the challenging service industry in this economy. Richer selections of sweets have been replaced with cheaper items, such as rice cereal treats, and portions are smaller. There isn't as much fresh fruit or vegetables offered in the courses and the fondue pots are not as full, even for 4 paying people.

Unfortunately, even though the food, cheese, chocolate are all still quality and the prices have remained relatively the same over the past decade, the portions and selections are not as great. The restaurant is still a favorite on our list, although we typically visit the Reston location, it will not be our "go to" for celebrations or special occasions always, as it used to be. I'd rather pay a few dollars more for favorites like peanut encrusted marshmallows or better selections of cheesecakes - and not skimping on birthdays. That was disappointing, even though we all left full and happy. I just really wanted the type of experience for my mom as I've had in the past.

• Visited November 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“Worth a try ...”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I guess if you never experienced fondue style dining, it's worth a try at least once. This place has private booths and subdued lighting that creates a romantic setting. It's pricey but you pay for the ambience and the novelty of it all; therefore, I would consider this place for special occasions only. Service was fine and food was ok too. Only negative was that my clothes including the overcoat permeated with the smell of oil and food after the meal.
I would give it 3 1/2 points rather than 4 if I could.

• Visited December 2010
Stafford, Virginia
“Love it every time!”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The food is wonderful. The Big Night Out menu changes every few months, so you can try something different every time you visit. They also have a regular menu for the basics. The booths are very private, with high walls around them so you are not disturbed by your neighbors. The place is usually not crowded when we visit, but we also avoid holidays (like Valentines), where there is likely to be more people.

Now, I rated this "NO" for families with children, but it really depends on the child. There is a large, hot bowl in the middle of the table that they have to dip their food into, so bring a child that is responsible and is good at following directions. I started taking my son when he was 7 years old. It was a little rough the first time, but now at 10 he's a pro with the fondue.

• Visited February 2011