“Post-Christmas Parade Party”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

After I helped the Fredericksburg Jaycees with their annual Christmas Parade last Saturday night, the Jaycees and I, by volunteering at the event, went to the Colonial Tavern for the Post-Christmas Parade Party. By volunteering, the appetizers and drinks were provided and complementary. The food and drinks served there were great, and I had great time with them.

There are newer reviews for Colonial Tavern Home To the Irish Brigade

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went for a quick meal on a Saturday afternoon here. Comming in, there was a raucous meeting going on so we sat in the back near the bar, near the back door, near the kitchen. That kind of was a downer right off the bat. But everything changed when we ordered the stuffed mushrooms and home made onion rings. The dishes we had were simple, hamburgers, fries, pot pies, stews. But holy St. Patrick, everything was well made, seemed very home made, and delish. Prices were good, service was very good. A great place for some good food. The Irish do not disappoint. Bring the kids, its so noisy, you won't even hear them..... But it was good.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

On a trip to Fredericksburg VA yesterday, we ate at the Irish Brigade. The entrees were wonderfully prepared -- the staff were cordial and knowledgeable about their offerings. From the drinks to the dessert, everything was prepared to perfection. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who visits the Fredericksburg VA area.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Tavern became our default "go to" place when my husband and I couldn't decide where to go for dinner or lunch. It's family friendly during the day and early evening, there's outdoor dining available, and at night there's some really great live music.

As we've dined here too often to count, both as a couple, with family, and in groups, I can say without reservation that the service is wonderful. You're always greeted with a genuine warm welcome, and our servers always remembered our favorites. (My personal favorite was the mini loafs of Irish Soda Bread with the jam butter - and my server always sent me home with a little extra care package of them) They spoiled our kids when we had lunch there, doting on them and giving them cups of maraschino cherries. It's like stopping in to dine with extended family...extended family that REALLY know how to cook!!! We've enjoyed almost everything on the menu, although our favorites are the stout burger, pot roast, corned beef stack, shepherd's pie...oh gosh, we love it all, frankly!

Be certain to stop in for a lunch or dinner while you're in Fredericksburg!

1  Thank DDSQ
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Can't really pigeon hole the Irish Brigade which is good. Outside seating, inside dining room with table cloths, stage for music - all types, and a "dive-ish" bar all rolled into one. We have done all 3. Dining room experience has always been good, eat drink and be merry. Music is played from a stage in the dining room so if you don't want to eat with a band playing check the schedules or come early.

Outside seating is fine, standard metal chairs, tables with umbrellas. Comfortable, good service, bugs not an issue.

The bar, is off of the dining room. There are numerous seats at the bar and 5 - 6 high top tables. Appetizers are fine, beverage selection is good. My only gripe is that you have to ask for a new glass with a draft, for me that should be a given.

Irish Brigade is a couple blocks off the end of downtown so it doesn't get a lot of tourist traffic. Well worth the two block walk.

1  Thank andyandsally