“Small Bites Restaurant Week Event”
Review of Bistro Bethem - CLOSED

Bistro Bethem
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Finally got a chance to eat at Bistro Bethem and just happened to coincide with Fredericksburg's Restaurant Week. Fixed price ($20.14 for the new year) meal included three courses. Since this was our first time there, not sure if they are always so crowded on a Saturday night. We made an online reservation and were seated within just a few minutes of arriving. The staff was friendly and attentive and the interior nicely decorated. My husband and I went with another couple. Hubby and I shared our selections. Every one was excellent! They were out of the Red Dust Shiraz ($24) we originally wanted to order, so our waitress suggested the Roco wine ($30), which was quite good after sufficiently aerating. Hubby ordered the gnocci 'mac-n-cheese' appetizer (tasty). The menu had 5 or 6 options for each of the 3 courses. My selections were: 1st Course: Braised beef with grits (melt in your mouth). 2nd Course: Beet salad with goat cheese, greens and a lemon vinaigrette (awesome!). 3rd Course: Salmon with a brown sugar glaze, quinoa & shitake mushrooms (perfectly prepared). Hubby's selections were: Clams (weren't very warm, but otherwise good); 309 Salad (very tasty) and pork with polenta (sweet sauce and well prepared). Each couple ordered dessert ($7.50 each, I believe). They were sold out of the signature chocolate dish (forgot name), so we each ordered other chocolate choices after consulting our server. Our vanilla porter chocolate cake looked scrumptious, but was a bit dry. We were assured that it had been made that morning and were brought a scoop of vanilla gelato to 'moisten it'. The other couple had a mousse concoction (forgot name) with a slice of peanut brittle that the seemed to really enjoy. Overall we had a very nice dining experience. Friendly, attentive staff and delicious food. One interesting note is that they did not list wines by the glass on the drinks/wine menu. We had to ask if they had them. And then we had to rely on the server to choose a wine for us. The cost was $6 for a single glass, but I have no idea what the wine was...

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are locals who really enjoy this owner-operated restaurant in historic downtown Fredericksburg. Bistro Bethem is in the heart of the thriving Fredericksburg restaurant row. Their staff are extremely well-trained -- They have NYC professionalism with southern charm. Menu ranges from the simple including wood fired pizzas and nice cheese platters to nouvelle cuisine with a focus on fresh & local whenever possible. They accommodate my husband who gluten-free but don't offer a separate menu. Very warm, artistic ambiance featuring artwork from local artists. Live music on a weekday evenings and half-priced bottles of wine on Sunday.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

My daughter took me here for a belated birthday lunch and it is great! Excellent selection, lovely and cosy, very friendly wait staff and yummy food. Great escape from the cold winter weather!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My friends and I stopped here for lunch while touring Ferry Farm and Kenmore Plantation. The interior is very colorful and nicely decorated. Our waitress was attentive and helpful. The lunch menu was varied, and the dishes were all good. My fish tacos were excellent, and others liked their meals too. It was a great respite during our day of touring.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Dropped in for lunch and was very hungry. Ordered the turkey brie sandwich - an ordinary sandwich made special with apricot jam, fresh tomatoes, greens and toasted bakery bread. It was delicious -served with homemade potato chips that were crisp and flavorful without being too greasy. My husband had a bacon/fried green tomato sandwich on the same toasted bread. The iced teas we ordered were also good - I wonder why so many restaurants have difficulty making a decent glass of iced tea. My husband did order the chili which he would've liked to be more spicy - pepper would've helped - but they don't have that on their tables. I will definitely go back.