“Another Fredeicksburg Gem”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Annapolis, Maryland
“Another Fredeicksburg Gem”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

During a weekday outing, we decided for lunch to try out Bistro Bethem, of which we had heard many good things. We were not disappointed at all. This is a great place. The decor, the waitstaff and food are all great. Did I mention that the decor, the waitstaff and food are all great?

Decor: How cool is it that a local resturant supports and is a place where local artists can display their exhibitions? Too bad others don't follow the same lead.

Waitstaff: Attentive, cordial, helpful and willing to provide helpful recommendations. Exactly what one looks for.

Food: Creative, great flavors, and satifying. You need nothing more.

Make sure you go.

Newport News, Virginia
“We will not return”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My daughter and I met my Mom and sister for Mother's day in Fredricksburg for Mother's Day. This has become an annual tradition...well for the third year. I live in Newport News, my daughter is in school at VCU, and my mother lives in Front Royal so Fredricksburg is a good meeting spot. Each year we have tried a new place. This year we chose this restaurant this year (2013). The food was pricey, but it was a special occassion...Three of us ordered the Avacado & Crab Salad and one had the Trout stuffed with Crab. Before our meal we each tried the Asparagus and Crab Bisque...The Bisque had Bacon bits in it which was confused with crab shells, thin, and flavorless. The salad consisted of a single advacado sliced in half, a tablespoon of crab meat in each with about a 1/2 cup of mini watercress (?) sprinkled with sesame seeds...Are you kidding? We were still hungry and denied extra bread. The bread serving consisted of one thick slice quartered...that's it! The trout had about a tablespoon of crab stuffed inside. I think they left the head on just to make the serving appear larger. This is the most disappointing food I have paid that much for in a decade. Do not get rooked into trying this palce because the name is intriguing. It is BAD!!!!!

Lake Anna
“Mother's Day Afternoon Party for Six.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Sunday afternoon and Mother's Day made for a busy restaurant, my wife and I arrived early and sat at the bar while we waited for the others. My wife ordered a Mojito and I asked about the reds and was offered a Open Range Red that I enjoyed very much. Our party of six was seated towards the back of the restaurant that gave us some quiet so we could hold conversations with anyone without raising our voices. Bistro Bethem has a menu based on availability of ingredients, so our selection for dinner ranged from Grits and Shrimp, thin crust pizza, Chicken Confit, hamburger sandwich, and two orders of Beef 2 Ways (hanger steak and beef short ribs). The beef 2 ways very tasty but it could have been served hotter. Everyone enjoyed their selections. Our server was very attentive and knowledgable about the selections for the day, he even reserved the last Grits and Shrimp for our table. Water and tea glasses were kept filled and empty plates were cleared quickly. We ordered two deserts, a Creme Brûlée and a Chocolate Mousse, they were very good and the right size for after dinner sweets.

Alexandria, VA
“Delightful anniversary dinner”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We decided to take a leisurely trip to Fredericksburg from Alexandria for our anniversary, stopping to see Chatham Manor and driving around Fredericksburg before having dinner (easy to make reservations on line -- someone called back to confirm). Dinner was excellent. For appetizer I had a nicely presented avocado (ripe just right) topped with lump crab - little sea salt on top made it outstanding -- and pea shoots. Dinner was salmon with a crisp crust jacket on top of fresh tomatoes. Spouse had antipasto and trout and loved both. To top off the meal we had a great bottle of 2007 merlot (good price for 2007), and sharing the chocolate dessert made a very nice dinner. The meal and service were excellent -- was a little noisy, but we ignored it (besides lots of people was a good sign). Would highly recommend a trip to this restaurant, enjoying the towns around and the river before eating.

2 Thank Mary A
virginia
“Good waiter and small but pleasing lunch menu”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stopped for lunch at an outside table on early Saturday. Waiter Sean was very good--a step up from the usual local waiters--pleasant, quick, around but not in the way, bright, polite, attentive. For me, a bad waiter can ruin a meal. Menu was short but interesting. Healthy pour of wine--S.African Chard was very good. My wife had the salmon salad and cleaned her plate! I had the bratwurst sandwich--just enough kraut and mustard--potato chips made onsite, excellent. Sun is on the tables at lunchtime, so consider that. Lunch off the tables by dinner. The menu constantly changes so if you expect to get what you had the last visit, you may be disappointed. Urge you to try something new. Whatever it is, likely to be very good.

• Visited April 2013