“Short and not so sweet stay”

TownePlace Suites Fredericksburg
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Last week my boyfriend and I were driving down the coast and had planned to stop in Fredricksburg overnight. We arrived late (1:30am) and the lady at the front desk was nice and pleasant and gave us our room key. When we got into the room it was freezing. I'm not talking 70 degrees on the thermostat, it was literally frigid. It was hot and humid out, so I understand keeping the rooms cool, but the A/C was on 65 degrees - we felt like we might get colds from the temperature change! The room was small and had a large refridgerator and mini kitchen. All ammenities which we did not need, but nice to have for some people traveling I guess. Our sleep was nice and short as we had more driving to do in the morning. Morning shower...not so nice. I went first. I had a nice warm shower, but then I went for the towels and realized they were brand new and hadn't even been washed yet! I could tell this by the way the cotton shedded off of the towels. My boyfriend went next and had a freezing cold shower with the same towel problem. Not a good start to the day... On our way down the old and shaky elevator we encountered a man in a suit who smelled like he had an all-night bender. The breakfast spread was nice downstairs. They give you much more than most hotels do for a free continental breakfast. That redeemed them a bit, but they need to step it up. I always stay in Marriott's and I usually love them, but this one was not up to their quality.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night during a week-long tour of Virginia, where all of our other stays were in B&Bs. Our expectations were low, but Marriott exceeded them in spades.

During a blistering heat wave in July, we found the individually controlled air-conditioning units were a blessing, as was the well-kept swimming pool. The bed was comfortable, though the pillows were cheap, and we were glad that we had brought our own.

The staff was friendly and professional throughout our time there, and they kept the place immaculate. At a daily rate of $99, we thought it was well worth the money.

The bonus the next morning was the extensive free breakfast, which included a variety of yogurts, make-your-own waffles, eggs (which seemed powdered but tolerable), sausage patties, several kinds of cereal, and juices.

We've stayed in the best places and some that are disappointing, but this was just right for the price. We recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pfbird
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Never stayed in a TownePlace Suites before so thought we would give it a try. I'm an elite Marriott member so we try and stay at Marriott properties. This hotel was completly updated in the last 2 years and the rooms are now as good as most in the Marriott line (except the upper end properties). New flat screen HD TV's etc. I'm not sure what some other reviewers are talking about when that say it is run down. It's just the opposite. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. There were even fresh baked cookies at checkin. Breakfast was the usual Marriott standards, sausage, eggs, various types of breads & muffins, various furits etc. All Marriotts have pretty much the same breakfast. Some a little better some no so. this was on the better side. There was also a stack of food bars to pick up and take along. I would gladly stay there again and have already recommended it to someone else.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Levon M
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We just checked out. We live locally but spent one night due to power being out in our home. The hotel is probably the most run down Marriott property I've ever seen (inside). Outside is fine looking. Inside is just gross. It's pet friendly which I appreciate but I don't want my room to smell like dogs and urine. Which is exacty what it smelled like along with a damp/musty smell and feel. The room furniture is pretty beat up giving it a second hand look. Even appliances are old. Everything in room just was sad and old. I'm a Marriott Elite member and have stayed at many Marriotts. This one is probably physically the worst. On the up side, front desk staff were nice. If you're looking for a Marriott in the Fredericksburg area you'd be better off at the Residence Inn, it's newer and much better (we stayed there the night before).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August 2011, as part of a fly-drive holiday around Virginia. The hotel is surrounded by grassy and (when we were there) largely empty parking lots of what seems to be a local business park. But it was pleasant enough. It was about a 4 mile easy drive to historic Fredericksburg, mostly along some typical urban sprawl. We arrived at the hotel before midday, and the helpful receptionist went out of her way to find a room that was available for us to occupy. We hadn’t expected this, and it was much appreciated.

The outdoor rectangular pool had just enough poolside space to accommodate four long chairs at one end, and a round table with four chairs at each of the other two corners. The pool length was only big enough for perhaps eight or so breast-strokes. Luckily, however, there was little demand for the water, and my wife and I enjoyed a lazy hour of aquatic relaxation late on a Thursday afternoon.

The “Vita Delice” Italian, family run, restaurant is an easy eight minute walk away. Adjacent to it is the “Bloom” supermarket that provided a range of foodstuffs and drinks. We picked up some beers and ready-prepared salads for dinner on our second night. All in all, a perfectly OK place to spend a couple or so nights as a base for visiting nearby attractions.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PJandSJ
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We chose the TownePlace Suites simply by driving by. The nearby Residence Inn was full and suggested we drive to the Towne Place Suites a block away. The front desk staffer, Darrell, was great! He showed us the one remaining room, a handicapable room, to make sure we'd be comfortable with it, then offered us some delicious fresh-baked blondies .... yummy. Darrell is a real asset to this hotel, in case management is reading this :)
The room was fine for one night. Clean and comfortable. BUT it's right at the lobby and so we could hear all the lobby noise. It would not be ideal for light sleepers or those who are disturbed by voices.
The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good. Eggs, sausage, etc ... and a nice assortment of fruit and energy bars to grab on our way out.
Our best memory of the hotel? Darrell at the front desk.

Room Tip: Rooms right near the lobby can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We were booked for a 4-6wk stay by my husbands company. Our suite was small but clean. It was nice to be in a pet friendly hotel. Our main complaint was with the unavailability of a alternate housekeeping staff to clean our room in the evenings while my husband worked night shift at the nearby Nuclear Plant. This is a feature that we haven't had a problem with hotels providing in the past. As a result we had to ask the desk clerk daily for clean towels & were not always treated politely by the female clerk on duty at night. I'm sure this hotel made plenty of profit from all of the workers staying here for this period of time & we feel that we should have been compensated with at least a courteous staff. Next time we will make plans to stay elsewhere in the area.

Room Tip: The top floor may be quieter
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business