“Decent food, but a $5 charge for sharing a meal!!!”
Review of The Happy Clam

The Happy Clam
Ranked #39 of 480 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I live in Old Town Fredericksburg and eat out a lot. We've been to nearly every restaurant in the area. This is the only place that ever charged us a meal splitting fee. We don't like to over eat, so we often order an appetizer, have a few drinks, and split a plate. It doesn't seem right to pay extra for not being able to eat a large meal. The charge was $5 and we didn't know about it until our bill arrived. We didn't complain to the waitress because it wasn't worth the hassle, but we won't be back. There are simply too many good restaurants in the area that won't try to make a quick $5 over getting repeat business. It's too bad, the food was pretty good and we would be repeat customers if it wasn't for the $5 that left a bad taste in our mouths.

1  Thank bkistler

Reviewed September 17, 2012

to Fredericksburg after a long hiatus. It offers a simple menu featuring five or six major food groups including soft shell crabs, crab cakes, shrimp, oysters, fish and scallops. The food groups may be served as a Po Boy, sandwich or on a platter with coleslaw, fries or hush puppies (pick two). The entrees are either fried or broiled, but freshly prepared. You will not find beef, pork or chicken on the menu. A limited choice of desserts is available and it looks like beer will be on tap soon, if not already. Locals will recognize the building as the former Barefoot Greens on Sophia Street.

The dining room seats around thirty and is noisy. Service is good, but bare bones as is the atmosphere. I did not rate this establishment higher because there are too many other higher end eateries to be found in Fredericksburg, However, it is worth a visit—no need to dress up for a dress down type of place. Enjoy

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were tired and worn from a day of tourist activities and asked the locals for a nice spot to get a good seafood dinner. Several people suggested the Happy Clam and we walked the short distance and found a small family owned business that was full of surprises. I ordered one of the specials, the fisherman's platter grilled. My portion of halibut was enormous and succulent, the shrimp and scallops were good and the crab cake one of the best I've ever had. The waitress returned to our table several times and was exceptional taking the time to explain the specials and elaborated on the menu. The atmosphere isn't candle lit, but we loved the genuine flavor of the place and enjoyed the owner coming over to speak to us. My wife ordered fried oysters and said they were delicious and lightly breaded. We finished with a selection from their on the premise homemade pies, we chose coconut cream and it was fantastic. I wish I were local so I could order the take out from their fresh fish case. If you want great seafood at good prices in a clean atmosphere and great service, this is the place. I'm coming back as soon as I can.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The owners granddaughter is very down to Earth and truly puts her heart and soul into the restaurant. The oysters, clam chowder, and scallops are a must have! Although, they need to invest in some Louisiana Hot Sauce and keep a better stock of restaurant T-Shirts available for tourists! Customer service skills were over the top! Thanks for a delightful lunch.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We just stumbled on this place at lunch time and are glad we did. Its part restaurant and part seafood shop. The restaurant is pretty small with paper on the tables and not much in the way of ambiance. Menu is short and pretty much all fried. I had the clam platter with potato salad and hush puppies and my husband had the shrimp platter. Nice sized portions, perfectly cooked and good sides. The hush puppies are large and not as dense as you usually find. Friendly and prompt service. We really liked this place.