Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great find!

The amount of memorabilia and other information here is amazing, collected by descendants of James... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
HappyDiner776
Williamsburg, Virginia
small but interesting

It's amazing that two early presidents called this historic town home. I learned a bit about Mr... read more

Reviewed March 19, 2019
littlebittybooboo

Recommended experiences in and around Fredericksburg
All reviews law office his life original artifacts presidential history small gem on display great artifacts small gift shop united states american revolution self guided tour historic fredericksburg caroline street lawyer furniture presidency statesman
Selected filters
Reviewed August 17, 2017

WentThe information is very informative, and the artifacts are well maintained. Worth the visit if you like history.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed August 13, 2017

Has a nice history of James Monroe and a decent number of items belonging to him and his family. It's a small museum but a good way to learn about the fifth president.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed June 2, 2017 via mobile

Even though it is a small museum, it is well organized with artifacts from his life. For me, the small library, at least the sections you could get close to, was fascinating. This is a collection of a well educated individual, yet how many do we know today? I could not Google enough titles as we were headed for dinner. I regret not writing a few down some of the titles. It is fascinating to get a glimpse into the life of this patriot and his times. Congrats to the University that runs this gem.

Reviewed May 29, 2017

We had to admit that we didn't know much about James Monroe before visiting, so this was educational. Little ones may not enjoy it, but good for adults.

Reviewed May 29, 2017

The James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library was worth the stop. I knew a little about President Monroe prior to this visit (Monroe Doctrine and he his service in the Revolutionary War). I learned a lot more about our fifth president and enjoyed the exhibits. If you are in Fredericksburg, do stop by. I am not a museum person, but there are exceptions to the rule and this is one of the exceptions.

1  Thank John B