“Something's Changed”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and I went the Saturday of Labor Day weekend for dinner, and we're surprised to find the restaurant not very busy. Perhaps it was the holiday weekend. Perhaps it was something else.
We hadn't been to Otani for several months, and it's just not the same. It felt very rushed, even though there were no customers waiting for tables. We made a reservation and were seated immediately. Our waitress took our drink orders right away and when she returned with the drinks, was ready to take our dinner orders. We had barely gotten settled. Our soup and salad were served at the same time--this wasn't always the case. The chef came a few minutes later and got right to business. He was friendly and entertaining, but again, everything felt rushed.
The place isn't looking so great, either. The outside is in serious need of maintenance, and the window treatments inside were practically falling off the walls. It just didn't feel as special as it has in the past.

1  Thank Jannrasp

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Went on a Saturday night ... it was really crowded and very loud. The food is good and plentiful, however, having an hispanic "chef" kinda of degraded the authenticity of the experience. We were seated with a large group that all spoke Spanish as their first language and the constant dialogue with the Chef in a language that did not fit the theme of the restaurant made the experience a bit surreal. We got one of their specials...Shrimp, Filet Mignon and Chicken for 2 ... it was $55. By the time we added drinks and a tip we were over $80 for our meal.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Go there once a month and I never dissatisfied. The cooks are great and the service always pleasant. My last visit I forgot my discount coupon and they still gave me a discount. I pays to be a regular and they remember. Recommend others to go.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

Food was great as usual (we have been here on several occasions. The cook (Fidel) was great and on point. That was where the good ends. The waitress was awful. I don't know if she was over worked or on crack! She was going 90 miles a minute and everything was rushed. There were busy but I could always see open tables. She tried to box our food while we were still eating!!!!! AND before she brought the sorbet. She left the check way too soon and asked for it 3 times, yes 3. AND the manger (I think) came by to do a "clean up" and checked to see if I paid the bill yet. We were not "lingering" just trying to finish our dinner. I don't know what the deal was, but we will need to think twice before returning.....