“Good rural location - good facilities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fredricksburg VA/Washington DC KOA
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The problem for us visitors from the UK is that we tend to make comparisons between the very high quality of campgrounds we find at home, with the (generally) less well maintained ones we have found in the USA.
Having said that, KOA Fredricksberg is amongst the better places we stayed during 2 weeks of travel from Florida to DC in a 25ft rented campervan.
The setting is excellent, amongst trees by a lake, the bathroom facilities clean (if not as modern as we are used to) and the reception office staff friendly and welcoming.
Our pitch was not as level as it should be and a longer vehicle would have had difficulty getting level without use of chocks.
The campground is convenient for access from the I95. We stayed 2 nights and explored the local area during the one day spare. We returned after dark (it was November) and even though we knew where we were going, it was not too easy getting into our site. There is little or no campground lighting.
I know that costs are different between Europe and the USA - some things cheaper, some more expensive - but in the UK, France, Spain, portugal, Germany, I would expect to pay half this price for much, much better site and facilities.

Room Tip: ask for a level plot
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris H

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Let me start by saying that after staying at this campground I've learned that a KOA or Good Sam certification means nothing. I always thought it meant a "higher level" but now I know, those labels mean nothing except that the campground can charge higher prices. Although I will the campground credit for nice clean bathrooms and the pool looked nice, I will have to end my compliments there. For $60ish a night I expect it to knock my socks off. Clean bathrooms should be a give-in. (Why does every person that camps act like they are staying at the Waldorf Astoria when the bathrooms are clean? They SHOULD be clean at every campground!! No excuses, we are paying for this service) We stopped in the middle of the night and stopped at the office to pick up our paperwork (no one there but we expected that) much to our surprise there was map, but no indication of which sites WERE available. Most campgrounds at least let you know on the map which sites you can use. We drove around with a flashlight trying to figure out where we could go. Frustrating at 2am. We couldn't see a darn thing. The sites are not clearly marked (I'm sure in the day time they are) and the sites are a mess. Not as maintained as you would think. They mow the grass and leave the clippings on the ground which means rain or shine you are dragging them into your camper. Nice...thanks I love dirt in my camper and the fact that I couldn't let my dog out because the one time I did she came back in filthy. And please don't write me and tell me that dirt is a part of camping, It isn't. And neither are grass clippings which make the campground 2X as buggy as it has to be. Come morning, I wanted to get the heck out of there. Didn't even bother to shower. So as you have guessed, no we won't be staying there again. Not worth the extra 6 miles over the river and through the woods. There are a lot of other campgrounds on I95 that look decent. This one got high marks and it was a mess. Next time, I'll take my chances. As I stated, I cannot believe that no one has ever given it a bad review.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank vacationgirl62
Reviewed June 30, 2013

A few miles from the interstate but worth the stop. Definitely follow the signs.
I would suggest not arriving at night as there are a few rolling hills and some low branches.
The moment you drive into the property you feel an inexplicable peace.
The check in office very friendly and the mini store stocked well for emergency items and gift items.
Gravel sites. Our satellite nor the air card worked at our site. The cable the c/g provided was fuzzy. The pool was refreshing and clean. By the pet walk, there's this beautiful area leading up to a small creek. At night, the c/ g is very dark but quiet. Bring flashlights.
We would definitely camp here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NPC07
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed for just single night after long drive on I95(mostly in traffic). Needed a place to crash and saw sign for KOA. KOA was about 6 miles off highway but there was well placed signs to find it. Rolled in around midnight and there was map showing available sites. This is such a plus that KOA does this. They had many available sites right in front of CG so not to disturb others. Found the very easy and long pull thru and crashed. Went to office in morning to pay, staff was very friendly. Walked the CG and it was very clean and maintained. Bathhouses were clean. While just overnight stop, would utilize again. The only surprise was expensive for one night stay but I guess that was going rate for DC area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jtbr3
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Nice, CLEAN, quiet campground. The sites are flat and easy to navigate. We didn't spend a lot of time in the campground since we were touring DC but enjoyed siting around the firepit each evening and the pool the last morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TheGentry5
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here with our dog while visiting the many civil war sites in the area. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the new deluxe cabins which had 2 bedrooms, bathroom with shower and nice kitchen area. They had all the cooking utensils already there along with cups and plates which was really nice. The queen bed in the main bedroom was by far the most comfortable I've ever slept in at a KOA! That was a pleasant surprise. The grounds were very nice and well kept, the pool was great! Very clean. I was a little disappointed with the bikes and paddle boats, they were basically non-existent....we went to rent bikes one evening and they were all broke....so take your own of you want to ride.
The kampground is in a beautiful wooded area, secluded and very wooded. We loved it! On a final note, they are extremely animal friendly and accommodating here, which means a lot to us since we always take our dog on vacations.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Had to be in the area for business so I decided to take my camper. Wonderful location and facilities are great. Restrooms are some of the cleanest and nicest that I have seen. Staff was friendly and helpful. The only negative is that the sites are a little low and tend to be muddy.

Room Tip: The lake is pretty to look at, but the wooded sites are drier.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business