“Competent, but not the best in Fredericksburg-area sushi dining”

Miso Asian Grill and Sushi Bar
Ranked #17 of 432 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Competent, but not the best in Fredericksburg-area sushi dining”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Having been to most of the sushi houses around here (Sakura, Otani, Fujiya House, Umi), I decided to try out Miso in an effort to see if it would outshine those other restaurants. I would say that at best, it is a competent restaurant. There are a few things it could improve upon before I consider giving it a four or five star review.

First, what I liked about Miso:

- It does have good atmosphere. Well furnished, with clean tables and floors, an attractive sushi bar area, comfortable lighting. We went on a cold night, so the fact that they had the heat running at an optimum was appreciated.

- Our waitress was on top of refilling our glasses, timely delivery of food, and generally being polite and affable. No complaints about the wait staff.

- The sushi was stylish and aesthetically pleasing. I love a sushi restaurant that cares about presentation. They definitely want to knock your socks off, and succeed in doing so. Color, shape, and visual texture are all taken into consideration. There is a jazzy, modern art flair to some of the "creative rolls" (the Bad Girl Roll is a great example).

- Nice, affordable sake selection - everything is in the $12-18 range.

What I thought was unusual about Miso, or could be improved upon:

- Cucumber factored into everything. Too much. My boyfriend later said he started to think the restaurant must run a cucumber farm on the side. There were cucumber slices in the water glasses, julienned cucumbers in the sake cups, and cucumber was in most of the sushi rolls. I have nothing against cucumber. And I appreciate the use of something unusual to garnish the water glasses and sake cups. However, when it's the same garnish every time, everywhere, and then it also shows up in the majority of your main course, it gets to be a bit "old hat."

- I was eating the final slice of my Philadelphia roll when I bit down on something rock hard. I discretely attempted to remove whatever it was from my mouth and then make sure it wasn't something horrific, like a bug or a nail, but whatever it was, it was too tiny and I ended up having to spit the food out into my napkin. When I tried to see what the hard thing might be, I realized that it was an uncooked grain of rice. I understand that an uncooked or undercooked grain of rice is bound to happen from time to time when you're cooking so much of it, but this was very off-putting and unpleasant. Especially when it was the last bite of my sushi. How you end a meal has a lot to do with how you feel about it over all. This almost killed it for me.

I am definitely open to going back to Miso. And I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there. However, Otani is still the "gold standard" Fredericksburg sushi restaurant in my eyes. Perhaps the next time I visit Miso I'll try one of their wok or thai dishes instead.

• Visited December 2012

Fredericksburg, VA
“Maybe the best restaurant in Fredericksburg”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Miso doesn't get the local buzz like Umi, but the menu is more diverse and it's simply consistently excellent. Subtle flavors are the rule; this is not your common Asian restaurant. We have never been disappointed. Service is always personable and fast. Fredericksburg has no GREAT restaurant, but a very good ones spanning several cuisines, and of those, we really believe Miso's is the best.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank johnh127
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Just... wow!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

First of all, I have lived here too long to not have been here before. I was dragged along by a friend on a day I swore I wasn't hungry. We agreed to share some sushi roll and share two plates and bring the rest home. Ivy (aka Liling - and see? I remembered!) Ivy remembered my friend who is quickly becoming a regular patron. I can see why he wants to go back frequently. The food was outstanding, service stellar and Ivy is one of those rare servers whose company adds to your experience. Love is not a strong enough word for the way I felt about both the Hawaii and Spider Crab roll. Just heavenly. I don't know where they score their seafood but it was so fresh (and as a boater who used to tickle my own spiny lobster for a meal, I know fresh). We shared some pineapple fried rice (which was enough for three people, never mind splitting amongst two) and some Pad Thai. The Pad was not my favorite- not bad, just not prepared the way I'm used to which would be a little less spicy, a little more delicate- that would be more in tune to what I prefer but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. We had coconut creme for dessert which was like a cloud of coconut flan- just right, not heavy, melt in your mouth deliciousness. The sushi was plenty enough to feed us and we absolutely gorged on the rest. Like I said, I wasn't hungry when I started and I took home the leftover rice dish but really, there was so little left it was silly- I just didn't want to waste any.

Miso doesn't look like much from the outside, living in a former fast food location. Not bad, it just doesn't hint at the modern, subdued interior. Inside it is classy enough for a first date, an anytime date, a business lunch... and the day I went - well it was housecleaning day and I was MORTIFIED that my neighbor dragged me there in my sweatpants when everyone else was in their best lawyer attire (but hey, this is Virginia. Nearly anything goes anywhere even if I think that attitude is tacky as heck). The parking lot was so full at 1 pm we had to park creatively - but we had no wait. As another poster noted, the restroom was immaculate. You can tell a lot about a place by the way they keep the restrooms.

Not only will I go back, I can't WAIT to go back.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank higpaws12
“The best sushi in the Berg!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I searched for a while to find my "go to" sushi spot after moving from Hawaii. This restaurant not only has Delish food, but also great value for your money--especially if you take advantage of their lunch specials. I always bring out of town guests here and they rave about it--and we often go back a second time during their trip. One time I made a mistake ordering and didn't even want to say anything but they realized I wasn't enjoying the dish and made me what I was actually hoping for at no extra charge! .....and it was MY mistake! This place is wonderful!

3 Thank mkates122
Kansas City, Missouri
“Best sushi in Fredericksburg!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Easily the best sushi in town. Ask for the chefs specials as they are always unique and amazing. Super clean bathrooms and good coffee make it even better.

I'd can't recommend a specific chefs special but they aren't on the menu, don't have names, and are all just amazing.

2 Thank FlyHerAway_com