“German restaurant fredericksburg”

Bavarian Chef
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Historic Railroad Station -- The first Restaurnt "Bavarian Chef" is located in Madison, VA.
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This place was great! Wonderful atmosphere with excellent food. Servers seemed to lack a knowledge About the food and wine though. Even took two kids and they loved it.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Let me start off by mentioning the superlatives: excellent wait staff, lovely atmosphere, attentive service, even when making a reservation. Presentation of the food is outstanding.

Also, both appetizers were top-notch. One was German sausage over potato salad with fried egg, and the other was a red bell pepper soup with crab meat. The second, in particular was wonderful, beautifully creamy, with a bit of a kick. The crab meat was lump meat, and fresh. The unfiltered wheat beer on draft was a delight.

But the entrees. We were both disappointed. The portions are enormous - so enormous as to be an embarrassment. You feel you are at a cattle call. It is easily enough for two people on one disk - or three smaller people. It reminds you of the phrase "fat Americans" - it really almost repulsed me when I saw the heaping pile coming to the table. And I'm not a skinny one, that's for sure.

My husband had the German classic - sauerbraten (and he's a good German boy - his grandmother made it regularly). It was swimming in sauce in a plate easily 15-16" wide. There was far too much liquid, and it was a bit too sweet/cloying in flavor. I was reminded of the Bob Evans large breakfast meals, delivered in a huge plate swimming in sausage gravy.

I had a dish featuring portabello mushrooms, lightly fried with tomatoes, served with melted gouda on top over a bed of spaetzle -- on of my favorite accompaniments. Well, there must have been 3 cups worth of spaetzle. A little mountain arrived on my plate, with half a brick of melted gouda. So, while you'll never go hungry, the spaetzle was overly dry, and not the tender moist dumplings I remember from the Bavarian Chef (the other one near Charlottesville ) nearly 20 years ago. The dry spaetzle was nearly glued together by the gouda. I ate one fourth of it and returned it. I would have eaten less, but I'd had no lunch.

The red cabbage was far too wet and soggy and too sweet.

Desserts - well, one was excellent and one was OK. The dense chocolate tort with raspberry middle was excellent. The whipping cream was of high quality, and the presentation was lovely. The Bavarian cake with cherries was less impressive. The cake was dry, but otherwise tasty. The blueberries on the plate were numerous and delicious.

I didn't complain as the location is so lovely and our waiter so nice. I also take these things in stride. The prices are a little pricey, but not bad. For the atmosphere, it is what you would expect. Overhead can not be small.

I'd rather see a small price drop (though that's not essential), and the entrees improved and made smaller, with more care on the basic items, such as red cabbage and spaetzle. Otherwise, convert the place into a German buffet all-you-can-eat, drop the prices 40%, and put a billboard up on Route 95.

1  Thank urbanrev
Reviewed September 3, 2011

So delicious! Best veggie option I've ever had at a German restaurant. My carnivorous companions weren't as thrilled with the sausages but the sides were yummy.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Short and sweet, the food is fantastic with some of the best desserts I've ever had!! A+ for that, but C- for price - definitely a bit expensive - $9.95 for a bowl of Baked French Onion soup? Lol. It was good, true, but yeah :-P

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Good traditional German/Bavarian food. Well made but a little pricey. Got a deal with the local restaraunt days. Service was especially good. She gave me extra dumplings when I told her it reminded me of grandma. Only distraction was the train going by. They should put up a toy German train to add to the ambiance.