“Delicious Food/Excellent Service...Treat Yourself to Lee's Retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lee's Retreat BrewPub - CLOSED

Lee's Retreat BrewPub
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, American, Brew Pub, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Brewpub is open for lunch and dinner Winter Hours January through February Thursday- Saturday 11am-10pm. Casual, family friendly with a seasonal outdoor beer garden. 5-9 Fresh beers on tap at all times. Fresh made sandwiches, steaks, fish N chips, etc from local markets and farms. Free Tours on Saturday 10-2. Visit tasting room Mondays 9am-1pm, Wed. 2-6, Fri. 3-8 & Sat. 10-2 For free tastings
Mexico City, Mexico
“Delicious Food/Excellent Service...Treat Yourself to Lee's Retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Highly Recommended. We visited Lee's Retreat as part of a long road trip across the USA!

I traveled with my husband and four children. The menu had good choices for both adults and kids alike. The food was delicious, and we truly enjoyed our lunch.

The restaurant was very clean, service was EXCELLENT (my son turned around and was surprised by the drink refill that was placed in front of him without having to ask!). It was also pleasantly interesting to be able to view the brewery while enjoying our meal!

If you are in the Fredericksburg VA area, give yourself a treat and pay a visit to Lee's Retreat! (Blue and Gray Brewery).

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank MushyLiva

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great beer, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

The real feel of gourmet dining with a friendly brewpubs feel. Fred Red Ale is tops, and the Shephards Pie with lamb lollipop is my favorite dish.

1 Thank Typhoon_95
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“After MANY visits we won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Lee's Retreat, although hard to find, used to be our "go to" restaurant however over a period of a year, I can only rate it as poor due to the service.

The burgers CAN BE great, but are hit and miss. The burger can change in thickness (significantly) and flavor profile from week-to-week.

Other entre's are just not good such as their steak dinner.

The beer is of course great, but the bar is limited so don't expected a mixed drink.

While the food can be good, the reason we won't be back is the service. It has been declining with each visit despite being regulars who appreciate good service and tip well.

Our last visit was the last straw. After waiting 15 minutes just to order, our waiter (who was doubling as the bartender) seemed to have completely forgotten about us. After finishing our apps, we sat for forty minutes for our main course. Finally, we walked up to the kitchen and asked how it was coming. The manager stopped by our table and we explained our situation with the waiter and she was very cold and unapologetic.

The good news is that she rushed out our meals within a few minutes. Bad news is that everything was cold and not good at all. When we complained about the cold plate, she wrote it off saying "I just saw them come out." Clearly not true unless they came up with a new, cold-cooking technique.

While the manager did comp us a round of drinks, her insincerity didn't cut it. A simple apology for the poor service would have been fine. Sadly, we won't be back.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank Coryms
Fredericksburg, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good beer, good food, god people.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

One thing I've often lamented is that in the rural/suburban area where I live, there's no such thing as a true "neighborhood pub," in the sense that it's feasible to walk to and from the local pub. Well, that comfort still eludes me locally, but there is a local spot that gets close. Lee's Retreat is the brewpub opened last Summer by the Blue & Gray Brewing Company. Not within walking distance of home, but very close to my office, so it's becoming my after work stop.

A true brewpub, the brewery is visible through the glass wall, and the the only beers served are Blue & Gray's own. That's about as fresh beer as you can get! The food menu has a mix of typical pub grub; such as wings, burgers, or fish & chips. There are larger entrées such as steaks and ribs, and usually a chef's special or two. Last week the pub featured a steak and quail combo platter. I've spoken with other diners and to a person, they've enjoyed their food.

Being a fan of your standard pub fare, I tend to order the basics like Spicy Blue Buffalo Wings or the Gorganzola & Bacon Burger. The wings are meaty and have enough heat to bring a little sweat to the top of my head. (That's my standard rating scale for spicy food.) The burgers are hand-formed and served on an English muffin, with crispy waffle fries. It's a very good meal.

Lee's Retreat has something else going for it besides the local beer and good food. It's a friendly place! After just a few visits, you'll be recognized as a regular by both the bartender and other patrons. (And the diners are very friendly and won't bite you when you walk by if you're heading to the bar.) And, as one would expect from your neighborhood pub, you can always see the proprietors, Jeff and Lori Fitzpatrick going about their business. And they're always willing to stop and chat.

BTW, Lee's Retreat has a kid's menu, and there are usually families having dinner, so don't hesitate to bring the whole family. (It's non-smoking too.) They also will fill growlers and have bottles available to go.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank VADavid
Stafford, Virginia
“End of the year, not the end of visits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

The wife & I went to late lunch at Lee's Retreat.

She sampled several of the outstanding regular brews from Blue & Bray Brewing Company and I experience one of the seasonal offerings - a Belgium ale. The Belgium has a sligt sweet flavor and reminded me of Blew &Gray's mainstay - Falmouth Lager but sweeter.

All were outstanding!

She settled for the American Pale Ale for her choice and I followed the Belgium with that same.

As for out late lunch, we enjoyed the outstanding Calamari offering. In my opinion, the best I have had in many years!
For the main course she had the lamb burger - a nicely ground lamb with garlic infusion. included were waffle cut fries. I choose the corned beef entrée with cabbage cooked in Blue & Grays Stonewall Stout. The corned beef was totally lean but succulent in flavor and moisture. Accompanying was a wedge of tastefully prepared green cabbage. Also was yellow corn that tasted as if it was just cut from from the cob. A dollop of Cole-slaw with raisins added just the right amount of sweetness so that a desert was not needed.

My wife commented that a welcome aspect of Lee's Retreat was although it appears to be an industrial setting - the brewery just outside panes of glass it was quiet and normal conversations were possible without the loud music commonly found and may eateries.

1 Thank N4NW