“Just average BBQ!”

Allman's BBQ
Ranked #35 of 448 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: A Fredericksburg landmark since 1954. Famous homemade BBQ sauce, Cole Slaw dressing. Handspun milkshakes. A step back in time. 1 block off the UMW campus directly in front of Eagle Village. Indoor and Patio table service. Call ahead for take-out. T-shirts and aprons available for purchase.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I will start off by saying the building has been around for many years. They have a few outdoor seats as well as indoor. The bathrooms are located outside in the back of the building. They are small. This is one of those seat yourself places. They have a counter you can sit at as well. Not a very big place. If you have a big party you will have a hard time finding a table. They only have one type of BBQ sauce. It's decent. If you like the southern vinegar, Memphis or Georgia mustard type your out of luck. They have pulled pork and minced pork to choose from. They also have ribs, hot dogs, cheeseburgers and grilled cheese. The meat was not hot nor warm when it was served. The food comes out pretty quick once it is ordered. The fries were good, coleslaw was okay and the beans were average. To me, this place was just average.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Atmosphere was pleasant. I prefer my barbeque with a ketcup based sauce cooked right in so the meat soaks up all the flavor. French fries were deep-fried to my request of really crisp.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

It was exciting to see an sold style bbq place on the way to Fredricksburg, but the excitement wore off when when the food came.

The half rack of ribs get 3 out of 5 stars and were a little dry. The minced bbq sandwich only gets a 2, it was not very good. The coleslaw gets 3.5 and the baked beans 3. Unfortuantely the sweet tea gets a 2, a very low sweat tea rating.

I see no need to go back.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I grew up eating pork barbecue and know when I having one that's pretty awful. This place that has been around for years used to be good, but my last visit in early Dec. 2012 proved the place is plain terrible. The orgiinal owers are not there anymore, sadly. Our minced sandwich and our pulled one were both chewy, tough and bland. This is most likely the worse one I can remember having, ever. They should know better. I cannot imagine anyone herein putting up a favorable review of this barbecue unless they simply don't know pork barbecue. Cooked properly the pork should just fall off the bone and absolutely never be tough and chewy and certainly not be bland. Three large squeeze bottles sat on our small table for four, only one labeled so we had to experiment on the others with test batches. Striking also is the number of times Mom's is used in the menu. I doubt if this messy, yellow coleslaw is Mom's. They use mustard in it. Its awful tasting. The staff is exceptional and the place is still the old icon of itself, but if they want to stay around for a while they have to correct the pork as fast as they can. Thanks.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

What else can I say!!! The BBQ was out of this world! Small but clean dinning room! Not very much parking, all on the street!