“Avoid The Audio Tour”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Avoid The Audio Tour”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The guided tour by the Park Ranger was excellent. I learned so much about Fredericksburg and he brought the battle to life.

The same can not be said of the audio tour. I was charged about $15 for the CD. I now understand there is a way to rent the CD, but that was not offered to me. The tour consists of about 12 locations. On the positive side, it did get me to a few downtown locations that I might have missed on my own. But there were many other stops that just had me looking at some trees. I had traveled for miles and there was nothing to see. Even worse, the narration offered little insight into the Fredericksburg battle. I learned so much from the Park Ranger. The CD had comments like the union was on the left of you, the confederacy was on the right. They fought for several hours before ..... Totally uninvolving and not interesting. Other than some pointed comments to Burnside from his subordinates (You can't place your artillery there, General) there was no reason to listen to the narration.

I told the people in the gift shop how disappointed I was with the CD. I was told that 99% of the people love the CD. So, I guess I am in the minority.

Don't miss the Ranger tour, however.

My rating is just for the CD. I would rate the Ranger tour as five stars.

Visited July 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Little Battlefield on a Hill”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

A nice, quick view of the Battle of Fredericksburg. Did it on the way out and it was nice. You get a little history, and it is on a nice stair-step-cut hill.

Visited June 2013
virginia beach
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very Historic”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

It is sad how time changes so much of history. But it is still a great piece of history to visit. I love how you can see a movie on the history of these place in history and enjoy walking through the battlefield.

Visited May 2013
west hempstead
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“must see Civil War stop”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very informative stop for Civil War buffs. Good movie that fills in the blanks. We visited during Nat'l Parks week so there was no charge. I am sure the fee is small. The walk after the movie is enjoyable and can be done in 1 hour at a slow pace. They have a nice gift shop with a pleasent worker who answered questions not only about Fredricksburg but also Chancellorsville. Be sure to go to Lee's Drive just out side the main enterance. There are some great things to see here.

Visited April 2013
Alpharetta, Georgia
621 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,116 helpful votes
“Great Review of a Sad Chapter in American History”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The visitors center is well done and there is a good 22-minute overview film. We were able to get a 30-40 minute short walking tour of the Sunken Road with a park ranger too. That was somewhat redundant but was interesting. The national cemetery is a short walk on the same grounds. The 6-stop driving tour is a waste of time unless you a real Civil War buff and have to stand where the historical figures stood. The long drive to stop 6 is a dead end and you are forced to backtrack. There is a separate brochure for the driving tours in the gift shop.

Chancellorsville, Wilderness, and Spotsylvania are in the same area.

Visited May 2013