“Surprisingly Awesome”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My family had to go down to VA from MD for some extended travel. So I booked the hotel online as it was midway between our first stop and our second stop on the trip. I was a bit concerned as hotels near to highways typically cater to a rougher clientele or are situated for truckers.

It was a bit tricky finding the way into the hotel parking lot as the signs for entry and egress weren't very well lit or marked. However, once we got into the parking lot we quickly found space. This was around midnight on 4th of July Weekend.

The night staff was extremely courteous and friendly and they had a small amenities bar. It wasn't anything fancy just toothbrushes and the like.

They put us on the fifth floor which in most cases means you are stuck in a non-air conditioned room that smells like cigarettes. However, the room was immaculate. The bathroom looked just like the hotel pictures and the beds were incredibly comfortable.

All the furniture looked new or incredibly well looked after and the AC was cooooold. It was so nice.

In june my family had to stay up in Baltimore and we splurged on the Sheraton, thinking how swank it would be. I can hands down this little holiday inn express not only TOASTED the Sheraton for comfort and beauty but spanked them on the price.

Definitely check this place out. Oh yes, the breakfast [only served until 9-ish I think] was great. Never ending bacon and eggs, lots of other assorted things like yogurt and cereal, bagels and muffins, etc. They did have a pancake machine but it was out of order. Still it was a great experience and I can definitely see us coming back.

Room Tip: Put in your reservation online. We used priceline and got a great room rate.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lonelysheltie

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here for one night and it was very nice. Hotel is in great shape, rooms are great, very clean and comfortable, breakfast was very nice also. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: get a room on the higher floor!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

There was an outdoor pool across the street. The gym was pretty small, but had a treadmill and elliptical machine. The iced tea dispenser in the main lobby was a nice touch. Breakfast was like any other Holiday Inn Express.

The service was pretty good. We had a fire alarm early in the morning. When it was over, the staff stood by the door apologizing to everyone, explaining that it was a false alarm.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SolarSoar
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I found the hotel itself very nice but the surrounding area was a bit less appealling.
We were on the 5th floor so we had to use the elevator. This is probably the main reason I did not give this hotel 5 stars. It was somewhat of a pain to use the busy elevators every time to the room. I should have asked for a lower level floor but didn't realize the elevators would be an annoyance. The room itelf was a good size. My 2 kids, husband, family friend and I had more than enough room. The room opened to a living room area, the bathroom in the middle, and the 2 queen beds at the back. All the furnishings were new and in great condition. The door separating the bedroom to the living room was useful as our friend wanted to watch some TV while we were all ready to sleep. We didn't use either pool (one inside and one outside) though I think we would have only used the inside pool. I did not care for the exterior setup around the hotel. I just never had a safe feeling out there and worried about my car being secure. Maybe because the only parking available was behind a separate hotel (not sure if this was part of Holiday Inn or not). We wanted to go to the restaurant near the hotel but checked the poor ratings it had received and determined it probably wouldn't be suitable for our family. Overall it was a nice stay but when we traveled back and needed to stay in town again we did stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a family event. It is one year old. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. The mattress was a bit hard. There is a traffic light at the enterance which makes travel easy. The breakfast was very gppd for a free hotel breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This holiday inn express is a bit "stingy" in my opinion. I noticed that they don't serve any coffee or tea during the day. They lock the breakfast room after 9.30 and there's sign saying only registered guests are allowed in and guests can only enter once. Strange. Also they didn't accept my diners club card, which has never ever happened to me in any holiday inn hotel. I assume it's because of the commission. The raisin bran was stale and when I mentioned this to the employee working in the dining room/kitchen, she started to argue with me. She doesn't seem to have a lot of patience for guests' questions and comments, as I wanted to ask her what the ingredients are supposed to be of the scrambled eggs (after I found some strange pieces of meat there).
The manager on duty apologized for everything when I explained him what I experienced and what I think about some of the stinginess. There's no real lobby or any place you can sit anywhere, so the manager offered me the board room for free. Also I could get a free bottle of water/soda.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here overnight on our way from Atlanta to Washington DC. The room was nice except the bathroom had a noisy fan that turned on when the light turned on and that was annoying. The internet was fine and the breakfast was ok - standard for HIE. We could also hear the people on both sides of us as well as above which was distracting.

We chose the hotel from a discount book we picked up when we crossed into Virginia. When we got there they didn't have any standard rooms for the $75 discount price and offered us a King room for $110. There was another traveller there at the same time as we were checking in and they seemed to have some trouble with their booking system as she was also told there was a room and then there wasn't one. In the end we took the King suite but were given the "executive" price of $94.

• Stayed: May 2011
rajivhai, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Dear Guest(English4Canadian),
I am so obliged for your heartfelt review of our property. I do apologize for the noise of the exhaust fan in our bathroom, and also for the guest around you. It was one of those very busy nights. The hotel was sold out, and we had a number of school groups staying that night. As a result the noise level was a bit more elevated than our usual nights. I am very sorry for any inconvenience that was caused due to that. Nevertheless, it was our greatest pleasure serving you. Thank you sincerely for giving us the chance to do so. We very much look forward to seeing you back so that we can exceed your expectation.

Very sincerely yours,