“What a DISGRACE”

Ranked #38 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Quon320
“What a DISGRACE”
Reviewed January 9, 2008

After driving for 12+ hours I was exhausted. I decided to stop at the next exit and get a room at the first hotel I got to. Unfortunately for me the first place I got to was The Ramada Inn South Fredericksburg, Va. When I walked in the door I was amazed! I was thinking why in the world would they ever consider charging $49.99 for a room in a place this magnificent? While checking in I was truly admiring the fountain and atrium. I was in Awe. I happily paid the $56 including taxes and went to my room. What a SHOCK I was in for. The room looked like Joe's Apartment. The carpet looked like it has never been cleaned. The towels had holes in them. The sheets were yellow and had what appeared to be urine stains on them. Then to top it all off I HAD BED BUGS! Yes, bed bugs. I didn't even know that they existed!!!!! They ate me up. I woke up in the middle of the night and they were all over the bed. When I called the front desk and told the female that checked me about it, she said there was nothing that she could do about it because maintenance was off for the night. When I asked if I could at the very least get another room I was told that I would have to pay an additional $40 because they had no more outside available. I informed her that I would be coming to the front desk to get a refund. When I go the first desk she said that she couldn't give me a refund and I would have to talk to the manager when she came in. Bear in mind this was 2 in the morning and I refused to stay in a room were I was going to be ate up by bed bugs and I wasn't going to pay another $40 and perhaps get worse. I decided to just leave and take my chances on the highway. I would never, ever, ever stay here NO MATTER WHAT!!!

• Liked — Not a Thing
  • Disliked — That they are still allowed to operate
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank Quon320

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I have found Ramada's to really vary in quality. The Ramada South Fredericksburg was definitely one of the wosrt. From now on, I plan to avoid the chain entirely. The place was old and run down. Their pool is in the middle of the lobby, so the first thing you notice when you walk in is a strong chlorine smell. Some staff members were helpful, but others were discourteous. My room smelled very stale. But the worst problem was that the door did not close properly from the outside. When leaving, I had to slam it shut to ensure it closed. Evidently, the maid did not do this, since I returned to my room one afternoon and found the door wide open, with my suitcase in plain sight. Fortunately, I had realized the place was a dump as soon as I arrived and made sure not to leave any valuables behind at any time. Also, be ware of the extras they try to tack on to the bill. When you check in they try to get you to sign a form acknowledging that they will bill you an extra $35 for incidentals, such as pay-per-view movies and room service. According to the form, if you don't use these services, they will refund the money to you, but it might take a week for the refund to show up. Please note that you have every right to refuse to sign this form. Also, regardless of whether you sign this form, you will be charged about $1.50 per day for the in-room safe. If you don't use the safe, be sure to tell them to take this charge off your bill at the end of your stay.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Securithy
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Naomi02
WPB, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2007

This hotel was okay for overnight stay but would not recommend if traveling with a pet. Room given was on the corner next to the door where those who are housed in inside rooms access the street without using the lobby. Door slamming all night caused pet to continually growl which led to lack of sleep.
No fridge or microwave in the room, wallpaper was peeling and the thing that made it yuck for me was killing a roach crawling up the inside of the door.
Only Denny's and Waffle House were accessible after arriving from our 13 hour drive from FL. Restaurants not that plentiful.
Lobby area was attractive though and probably had alot to access if pet is not with you. Not the best for pets, no place to really walk them. Would not stay here again. See review for Fayetteville, NC on return trip.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Roaches
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank imagyne
Shirley, NY
Reviewed August 10, 2007

The carpets were filthy and stained. The ceiling had water stains. The top of the toilet in the bathroom must have broken and they replaced it with any one they could find and it didn't fit. The towels had holes in them. There was a hole in the wall. Don't be deceived by the beautiful lobby. That is where they spent all their money, This hotel needs to be inspected by the health department, DON"T stay here even if you have to drive a couple of more miles.

• Liked — The Lobby
  • Disliked — The ROOM!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trishamary_8
Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We jumped off Rt 95 Sunday July 29th in a torrential downpour, roads flooded, cars and trucks wrecked all over the road. Went to the what we expected to be a Holiday Inn where we had stayed on a trip a few years previous, it's now the Ramada.

Ramada should be ashamed to have their name on the sign and I have written to tell them so. I can't begin to describe the horror of this nasty place. Filth everywhere! Step away from the front desk and you are immediatly hit with a mold smell, it was so bad. Every local hotel was booked and it was too dangerous to drive farther, we laid towels over the bed and attempted to rest in our clothes. The storm was very loud, each thunder crack sounded like it was right outside in the hall. The bathroom seemed to be the one attempt at cleanliness, however the carpets were dusty with footprints, gum and anti-acid wrappers on the floor, fingerprints on the walls and doorjambs. Since there was a mysterious yellow sticky substance on the table and remote control, we decided to walk around a little instead of watch TV.

OH MY GAWD. The hot tub was flourescent yellow, the pool had disgusting floaty things and as we stood in the atrium, the roof started to leak. Not just over our heads but in the hallways bordering the atrium as well. We went to the front desk and the man simply looked at me and said "I know...I see it as well as you do, thanks". By this time, water was POURING thru the roof on the top floor and housekeeping was out in full force putting out buckets and waste cans. It was raining/leaking so badly, the maids were taking a bucket, leaving one to fill, pouring out the full one in the rooms closest to the leaks and returning just in time to grab the next full bucket.

We ran to the our room and collected our bags in a huge hurry, then joined the other unfortunate last minute guests under the portico, debating on whether or not the roof would cave in. We began calling other hotels frantically on our cell phones. 2 lucky families got rooms across the street. No such luck fo the rest of us, the storm was that bad. My family headed for the car and slept.

Yes, our money has been refunded by Ramada but the hotel is still open and taking reservations as of todays date. Yes, I understand that Ramada is not responsible for the storm, it was a bad sorm, a freak of nature if you will. But Ramamda IS responsible for seeing that the building and roof are in good repair, that the amenities such as the pool or hot tub are clean, etc.

Wow. Fellow tripadvisors, please check out my other posts, I always try and see the bright side, this is no typical "Bean" post, I'm usually happy anywhere. But stay away fron this hotel. Some unwary, unsuspecting travel like myself will be hurt or become extremely ill by staying here.

If you are contemplating a stay here or find yourself, as I did, stranded, remember-
The deciding factor for you should be "Bean had a choice of sleeping here or sleeping in a car in a parking lot with her kids. She chose the car"

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank bean
Modena
Reviewed May 23, 2007

I was tired and needed a place to sleep. I had been driving for over 10 hours on I-95. If I had not been so tired and had I not tried to get a room in several other motels in the area, I would not have stayed here. The lobby smelled of chlorine because of the pool. The halls smelled of cat urine. It's a smell you just can't forget. I think the people at the front desk were pleasant, but who cares they were ripping me off, $95.

Tried the Hampton Inn (full up, Howard Johnson's (under construction, the room looked nice, but no heat), and Motel 8, (Full)., I forget the other two (both full). Thinking back we should have stayed in the HOJO's clean.

I can say only one positive thing about the room the bed was comfortable and clean. The room looked as if animals had been living in it. The floor was filthy looking, like mud. I didn't see any bugs of course we were asleep in 2 minutes. We left the place early in the morning. I guess it was better than sleeping in the car or driving another 6 hours.

The place needs to be refurbished. It's awful.

• Liked — The bed was clean.
  • Disliked — The SMELL..................
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElmoHP
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 1, 2006

My first clue that things might not be well at this property was the deskclerk's offhand gesture that was supposed to tell me where I should head to get to my room. The two clerks were enaged in a private conversation, but I was willing to ignore that. Until I could not find my room based upon the clerk's handwave I was still OK with the hotel. It wasn't until I sat down in my room to take advantage of the "Free Internet" that I realized that I had not received any sign- in information. The room was probably very nice at one time, and if it was just a little dated, I would not mind. The mildew on the grout in the bathroom and the dangling chain ending in a string without the metal end required to enhance security was a turn off too, but neither of these was as telling as the fountains and pools in the lobby. Brown water circulating and cascading is not my idea of artistic. Yes, there is a sauna and a large heated pool.
I would have liked to use the sauna, but there was an old towel and some other artifacts of prior use as well as an offensive odor which reminded me of urine. Nedless to say, I did not use the sauna. Although no one was in the pool, what I had seen of the rest of the maintenance made me afraid of trying it. I found it really interesting that the hotel appeared to be very far from full, rooms all down the corridor on both sides of me being empty, and the clerk decided to put me in an outside room halfway down the row of empty rooms fairly remote from parking. I had an excellent location, though, if I was interested in seeing fire engines and hearing blaring whistles and horns 8 times in 1 hour. I don't know where the fire department was located, but I do know that they are very responsive along that stretch of road. Last, but surely not least, and certainly to be expected, when I signed out in the morning following my stay, the clerk, other than the one I had seen the day before, decided to add use of the safe to my bill. Since I did not use it , I asked him to remove the charge. Although he did respond to my request, I felt that he could have asked me about my usage previous to charging me. Without any apology or any thanks from him either, I checked out of Ramada Inn South Fredericksburg likely never to return again.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — the dirt
  • Stayed November 2006