“Great Hotel But Bad Experience”

Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Great Hotel But Bad Experience”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Okay, so this was probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, however there are always downsides.

First lets start with the good: The hotel is beautiful. A lot of conference and banquet rooms makes the hotel perfect for anyone needing a place to hold an event. And also, this hotel has a LOT of outdoor space. So in the summertime, I can totally see a lot happening outside with the big pool, gazebo, and plenty of land (as well as your balcony or porch). The breakfast can run you a lot of money if you are staying longer than a day, but if you are just staying overnight, then they give you complementary breakfast. Also, the beds were very comfortable. And, the location is just perfect, if you feel like McDonalds, or if you want to go to Wal-Mart/Target. The Spotsylvania Town Center is only about a minute from the property, so perfect location.

However, there are always some downsides. The downsides being crappy hotel staff.
At check-in, we went to check in (me being 15 and my friend, who paid and is checking in is 20) they tell us we have to be 21 to check in, which it says NO WHERE on their website. So, they proceeded to call the manager, who came after 5 minutes (and appeared to be taking his time) and looked at my friends licence, which says Connecticut. So he asks why he is down in Fredericksburg, and he says to see friends, and he says in a very rude, sarcastic attitude "This hotel is for business people, we don't want kids like you to party". So we left the hotel in a pissy mood, then I had to call a friend in the area to check us in. So after that, we got our key cards. Now I must mention that when I went out to the car to put things back before check-out, I had to go back in to get more stuff, and my keycard did not work with the door, so I had to walk all the way to an UNLOCKED entrance and had to walk all the way to the elevator (the place is HUGE). And the night before, I walked out another door, and almost hurt myself really bad, because on some of the doors, there is a step down, which I did not see. The least they could have done was put a "watch your step" sign. And, some of the outlets in the room were actually wired in with the LIGHT SWITCH! So I was charging my camera and phone on one of the outlets, and come time to shut off the lights to sleep, guess what stops charging?

But even if you look at the negative, there still is a lot of potential for this hotel. A lot of it is already good.

Room Tip: Get the executive suite. They are bigger, have balconies and are located on the 3rd (top) floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I was in Fredericksburg for an overnight stay. I researched other larger hotels close to the conference center but decided on this one since the had a special that was 25.00 less than the others. Other reviewers gave less ratings due to lack of heat and noise. This being an overnight trip, I would take the chance.

To my relief, I had picked a hidden gem for the area. I agree the surroundings are not as pleasant to look at but I realize the stores grew up around them. Besides, I'm there to sleep, not wander the grounds. You are within quick walking distance to The Olive Garden and IHOP.

The lobby is well kept and pleasant, the desk staff courteous and friendly. I had an interior room, first floor, facing the pool. The patio door opens to a balcony that is a floor up from the grounds.

Inspecting the room, I had two double beds, desk w/chair, a comfy chair with ottoman, standard bathroom with a second sink/mirror/vanity area. My surprise was the large screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, ironing board w/iron and hair dryer. At my price, I did not expect the microwave and fridge. This is normally additional at the other hotels.
The heat worked great, the room clean ( I check for cleanliness and other things), and I had a quiet nights sleep.

My next surprise came in the morning. I was issued two tickets for a free breakfast at their attached restaurant. Expecting your standard muffins and danish with coffee, I was pleased to see it was a full sit down breakfast. I had scrambled eggs, sausage, home fries and toast. My daughter had Belgium waffles with bacon and orange juice. Great way to start the day.

I try not to give a perfect score on reviews but was impressed enough to give it here. ( I think the breakfast did it!) I recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JW185
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and also your breakfast. We are thrilled to be your "hidden gem" and hope to see you very soon.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We have visited this property in the past and were pleased, so we decided to return pending up coming weather conditions. The rooms are ample in size and well maintained. Bathrooms well stocked with supplies and clean; breakfast, free, was served in the main restaurant from their menu, service good. Overall I would give the hotel a very good grade and will return again while in the area. Prices very competative.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a larger room for a small fee. It is on 3rd floor above the regular rate floor; quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for selecting us as your hotel of choice during the recent ice storm. We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms, breakfast and most of all ....the Value of your stay. Please plan a time to come back soon, perhaps during better weather conditions so that you may enjoy the area and nearby entertainment and shops.
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Immediately upon arriving the Front Desk/Reservation counter, I was greeted by Harvey Wilson who had a welcoming and genuine smile. As an Assistance Girl Scouts Troop Leader for my daughter's troop, I proceed to explain my visit today - request for a small donation of toiletry items needed for Troop's holiday charity project. Mr. Wilson had the General Manager, Mr. Harb paged to the Front Desk/Lobby to assist my needs. While awaiting Mr. Harbs' arrival, I was offered coffee and observed the friendly staff around the area. Wow! In a matter of minutes I had come to the conclusion by watching how the staff interacted amongst themselves and guests that they wanted to be there and who took pride in their jobs. Everyone was upbeat, friendly, and helpful to guests & each other. That speaks volumes to a customer....just by their small gestures, their appearance and the sincerity I felt brought a warmness to my heart. I'm confident that in turn this pride of ownership in doing a fantastic job will serve each guest from the moment of their arrival and to the time of departure.

When Mr. Harb arrived, I was Immediately greeted with a firm, but kind hand-shake. I once again explained my situation of being short a few items for the Troop's project and without any hesitation, agreed to assist. Kindness goes a long way, especially during these economic times. To note - many BIG-name hotels with probably bigger budgets, said NO our requests for donations giving many excuses. We weren't asking for 100's or 1000's of items, just a mere 20-40 amounts. Shame on them and thumbs-up to the more economically hotels who truly care and its not always about the $$$$.

Even though I didn't stay at their facility, nor do I every rate anything a perfect score (believing there is always room for improvement), I would certainly recommend this hotel to others on mere customer service. I believe society has forgotten what that is all about, especially when your personal money can be spent at any establishment (clearly not the case here). Their professionalism, kindness and friendliness shines like the sun in the sky over the others. Guess their name says it all....HOSPITALITY - indeed!!!

We wish to thank them for helping our Girl Scouts Troop fulfill their holiday charity project this season. In addition, we would like to extend our wishes to Mr. Harb, Mr. Wilson and the entire staff at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conference Center for continued success and a most blessed 2013 holiday season!

Warmly,
GS Assistant Troop Leader and parent

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are pleased to be able to assist with worthy causes and community efforts! We appreciate being included!
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed here for a conference -- the service was excellent, however the hotel itself needs updating. Among our group, the room temperatures ranged from 59 to 80 degrees for the duration of our 2-night stay. The conference center was little better -- it must have been close to 80 in the Washington Room both days of our conference. The wiring in the conference center apparently needs an update as well, as it barely supported the AV equipment we required (projectors, microphones, and video recorders). The food was good and was well presented. The bed was very comfortable, however my room's "patio" was little more than a sliding glass door out onto the sidewalk/parking lot. On the upside, I was able to park right outside my room -- the downside was it made me feel like I was staying at a cheap motel rather than a "conference center." The fitness center equipment was also in need of some attention -- about 1/3 of the devices were not functioning properly, or at all. However it was indeed a good value for the price, and there are many restaraunts and stores within walking distance. I probably won't stay here again unless we have another conference here... but please do note that the staff were very friendly and as helpful as possible.

Room Tip: Recommend a room on an upper floor (balcony vs. "patio" into the parking lot). A room faci...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write a review. Our hotel certainly does have a rich heritage and has the character of any older hotel and amenities of modern hotels. So glad you enjoyed the location here in Central Park. We are particularly pleased that you enjoyed the service. Our number one priority is excellent customer service. We hope you will return soon. Ask for a room facing the pool if you do not want the walk out balcony. I think that may better serve you.
Partlow
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The service at the hotel was great. We were accommodated with an early check in so that we could prepare for an event my daughter was in. We noticed as we were getting dressed that it was a little warm in the room, but did not pay much attention to it. After the event we returned to the room which was now at 80 degrees. We called the front desk to be told that there is no AC in the hotel this year only heat. It was recommended that we open the door and the maintenance man brought us a fan.

I took a shower noticing that the ceiling was worn and appeared to have had prior leak issues. Later I went into the bathroom and part of the ceiling was in the tub.

About 1am there was a dog in the room next to us that was barking and scratching at the door. This went on for about an hour and a half. The young lady at the desk assured us that they would take care of it, and eventually it was resolved.

Overall our stay was disappointing. I have lived in the area for many years and always thought this hotel was above par but after staying here I was not impressed and probably won't return.

• Stayed November 2013
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for the high marks in our customer service! We apologize that one of the guests in a neighboring room did not report that they were bringing a pet and subsequently, that pet was causing noise issues. Next time in town, we would be pleased if you would reconsider staying with us so that we may ensure a pleasant and restful experperience. Please call me direct. We appreciate your business and support and hope to have you back with us soon.
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Nothing fancy, but good value for your money. The common areas look a little dated, but the rooms are very clean and good sized. The beds are extremely comfortable. And Harvey at the front desk was very helpful and had a great sense of humor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed the "value received" during your recent stay and our spacious rooms with our very comfortable beds! We do hope to have you back with us soon. Thank you for your patronage and taking time to write.