“Great Pool, Nice Room” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Virginia
“Great Pool, Nice Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was a little reluctant because I noticed some mixed reviews, but I was so glad I stayed here. I got a deal on the room and it was nicer than many rooms I have paid considerably more for. The room was large and the decor was nice. I always like when they don't have bedspreads that look old--this room had a white duvet cover. Generally, I find hotel carpets yucky, but this one was fine. There were two sinks, one inside the bathroom and one right outside. The breakfast was a voucher and I liked it just fine. The pool was huge--I could swim laps. The locations is a short drive to Old Town Fredericksburg and is right off the freeway in the midst of lots of stores, fast food places and restaurants.
Negatives: Low light in the rooms, even with the curtain all the way open and all lights on. It didn't bother me but I did notice. The side doors into the hotel were not locked.

Room Tip: If you plan to use the pool, you might want to ask for a room near the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BarbaraBetty
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We appreciate you taking time to give us such a great review and that you enjoyed our rooms, Junior Olympic Size Pool, location and breakfast. We hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Slatington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked this hotel as the half-way point on our trip home from the Outer Banks. I found a wonderful deal on their website but after completing the online booking I was charged $20 more than I was quoted. It took two weeks to fix this error since the person that I needed to speak with was on vacation. Luckily I had printed out the screen showing the quoted price. I emailed it to the hotel and was credited the difference in cost.

When we arrived we were checked-in very quickly. The room was a very nice size (we had an Executive King). We immediately walked to the IHOP for some dinner (there are a good number of restaurants all around this hotel, most within just a few hundred feet). When we returned we realized that there was no microwave in our room, only one robe (without a tie to close it), and no bottled water. These were all items that were supposed to be provided in the Executive King room.

Had we been staying longer I would have contacted the front desk to remedy the situation but we didn't bother since it was already after dinner and we would be leaving in the morning.

The next morning we went down to the breakfast buffet. We were directed to Ledo's Pizza where we sat for a good 10 minutes before the waitress came to our table. We then waited another 10 minutes to receive our drinks. We were informed that there was not a breakfast buffet but that each adult was entitled to one item off of the breakfast menu. Coffee and water were included but no other drinks were. Any extras (toast, a bagel, etc) were an additional charge. I ordered the pancakes and they were very good. My husband ordered an omelet.

Overall, the price we paid was great, the condition of the room was wonderful, and the food was tasty. We would stay here again in the future but I will be sure to be extra careful when booking to ensure that I receive my quoted price and that all of my extras were in the room.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are on the third floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback and four star rating. We are so glad you enjoyed our value, our complimentary full hot breakfast, quiet room accommodations and wonderful condition of our newly renovated rooms. Please come back and visit soon!
McDonough, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was a family reunion. We checked in on Friday and checked out on Sunday. We reserved a King Room and was given a double. The desk did make this change but the replacement room in very poor condition. The furniture showed extreme ware, the chest of draws were broken and hanging from the base, the bathroom floor was not clean, the cable TV stations were not clear, very dirty carpet in the room as well as the hallways, and the room had mode. The customer service was also very poor, Saturday night there were several very disruptive guest that prevented us as we'll as 7-10 other rooms from sleeping. After several phone calls the the manager, our effort did not result in addressing or resolving this Very critical issue. The following morning, the desk manager denied any knowledge of the issue...... there were 50 people in our party and this disruptive night was common knowledge to all. We did not feel safe in the room during that night. Also, we observed that the side doors were often held open creating security concerns during the evening hours.
Lastly, the "free" breakfast was very poor and the service was worst. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean and enjoyable customer experience!

Room Tip: This was a family reunion. We checked in on Friday and checked out on Sunday. We reserved a King Roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest....We appreciate your feedback and are currently looking into every aspect of this issues reported.
Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed here for quite some time. A long term guest.

Well every single day i have been surprised by the service I have received. Super clean rooms, an awesome restaurant on site, a full service bar with incredible band choices, on and on and on.

I will stay here every single time I am in the area and you should too!

Live music and a walk to any one of 5 major chain restaurants other that the built in one... But you should check this place out.

Oh did I mention Central Park? Every kind of shopping you can think of!!

Room Tip: Book early, this place can get busy fast...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Steve....We appreciate you choosing us for your long term stay and "your home away from home." All of our staff values your friendship and feel as though you are "part of the Fredericksburg Hospitality House family." Let us know if there is anything we can do for you as you continue your project here in town and your stay with us. Thank you again.
minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at your hotel for 3 nights for a conference. We arrived after a day of touring D.C. and looked forward to our room which we have seen on your website. When we checked in the front desk associate was very friendly and gave us directions to our room. We drove around the property and went in the rear entrance. We unloaded our car and hauled our luggage up to our room. We had a lot of things since we drove from Minnesota and didn't want to leave any items in our vehicle. We got to our room and it seemed fine at first glance, but then we felt the temperature. We went to the thermostat and turned the air down to 70. It was 75 in the room and very humid. I looked up at the air vent and there was mold around the vent. We were so hot we took showers and got dressed for dinner. Both of us were immediately wet with sweat after showering. It was so hot and humid, and the room was not cooling. We picked up our phone to call the front desk. By pressing the front desk button it gave us a beeping signal. We tried numerous times on both phones. We pressed zero and it rang and rang. Finally we got through. We told them our room was not cooling and they said they would send up maintenance. After 15 minutes a nice older gentleman came up to fix the air. He said that it should cool down in one hour. We thought OK let's just unpack and then we can go eat dinner. After 1/2 the temperature in the room was 76 degrees. It was not cooling at all. Once again we had to try to reach the front desk. We finally got ahold of them and told them this room was unacceptable. A woman at the front desk told us that she would try to find us another room. She hung up and there we sat. It was 8:30 and we had not eaten yet and we sat in a moldy room with the heat rising. We were so upset we packed up our things and decided to put everything back in the car. We once again called the front desk and told them that we are going to dinner and they could find us another room and when we get back. The woman on the phone was not very pleasant and she told us they would try to find us another room and it would be cooler.

After dinner we went back and went into the lobby and talked to the front desk associate. She told us they have a nice cool room ready for us. There was the maintenance man and another woman sitting by the front desk visiting and he assured us the room was very cool. No apologies and they were not very friendly unlike when we checked in. We drove around to the conference entrance and took the elevator up to the 3rd floor. The elevator has seen better day's. When the door shuts it makes a loud noise and you feel like the elevator is going to be stuck in between floors. Mind you I have been in lots of elevators and I had to wonder if this one has been inspected lately. There was insulation on the ceiling on the elevator that had fallen down from the top of the elevator. The carpet in the elevator is old and stained.

We got to our new room and it was again on the 3rd floor. It was very cool and we were pleased. We unpacked our items and once again had to shower. We finally got to bed at midnight. I am allergic to mold and all night my allergies were atrocious. I was up blowing my nose and couldn't sleep. The next day was the same. The air vent did not seem to have any mold spores but if other rooms have mold spores it has to be blowing throughout the hotel.

We had a conference and were throughout the hotel during our stay. The conference area was fine for the conference. The pool was nice and seemed pretty warm. I sat by the pool but didn't go into the water. The grounds of the hotel need to be weeded and trimmed. I did a load of laundry and that area was dirty and no garbage can for the lint from the dryer. Also in our rooms we only had one garbage can so we asked for another for the sleeping area of our room. I also noticed that around the hotel where the fire hoses and fire extinguisher were at one time they just left open with no glass and it seemed as though there were no protection from fire. It did have an automatic fire sprinkler system in place.

When we booked this room we were told we would receive coupons for a free breakfast each day of our stay. We went to the front desk to get our coupons and they said that we did not get free breakfast because we were on a group rate of $95. Online it states the rooms are as low as $95 so that seems to be the going rate of a double room, which we had. One would think that you wouldn't have to argue with the front desk to get a free breakfast which is what we were told when we booked the room. Also having all the trouble with our rooms you would think we could get a free free breakfast, which we were promised. Finally we did get two coupons for a breakfast, which we used and the breakfast was good overall. The service was great in the dinning room.

Overall I would never stay here again. We were happy to leave and my allergies cleared up the minute we started driving home. I did note that they were redoing some of the rooms closer to the lobby and those could be nicer than the older part, but I did not see those rooms. We were more than pleasant throughout our stay to the hotel staff, but this was not reciprocated to us. Would rate this hotel as a 2 star. I would stay at one of the newer hotels around the area.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank MinnesotaGeocat
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family reunion was july 12,-14 2013. We really enjoy this hotel and the location is near everything. The only problem we had was Saturday night and Sunday there was no hot water!!! My family that stayed on that floor have not been compensated for the problem yet!! I spoke with the cordinator Bonnie and she stated to email her the problem. My great aunt so not know how to email. So why the manager just couldn't handle that problem over the phone when I spoke to her??? Nice hotel but, management are not prompt procrastinate with handling business!!! Breakfast was nice and staff was nice. Please find other method for housekeeping to check the room on check out day. At 9am housekeeping was knocking on doors and open the door while we was sleep!! We love the band for the nightclub.rm#260 section 6 no hot water!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This motel is centrally located to all the places I needed to go while in Fredericksburg. It is an older hotel, but is well maintained. The balcony was very nice, as you do not find many hotels with private balconies these days. We enjoyed the huge pool!! Although showing wear, the room was spacious and clean. The breakfast included was really good. The only thing I did not like about the hotel was the elevator, which was a little small, especially when trying to get your luggage to your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing room with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bonnie M, Director of Sales at Fredericksburg Hospitality House and Conf Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed our Junior Olympic Size Pool, Breakfast and Convenient Location. Your patronage is appreciate. Please visit again soon.