“Great overview of the city.”

Trolley Tours of Fredericksburg
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Fredericksburg
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: During your 75-minute guided tour of the downtown Historic District and the Fredericksburg Battlefield, you will experience the past, present and future of a city so rich in history and teeming with monuments, markers and attractions for all ages. Enjoy the many unique shops and restaurants still operating in buildings hundreds of years old! In addition to our award-winning historic tours, trolleys are also available for chartered services: wine tours, private group tours, weddings, receptions, rehearsal dinners, family, school & military reunions, birthday and retirement parties, corporate team building events, home-school groups, and shuttle services throughout the entire Fredericksburg region.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We love to take tours of areas we visit to see where we'd like to spend more time later. This was a great overview of the city. The tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable. We had great weather, so the trolley was comfortable and fun.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were able to take the first Trolley Tour of the day and it was crowded, there was only one or two empty seats. We thought the price was reasonable for the amount of time we were on the tour. The driver was friendly and seemed to be knowledgable. He did attempt to keep the presentation light with some humor. But I felt he gave too much attention to eating places and shopping establishements at times. Like he was getting paid by them to mention "that's where I'm having lunch." etc. The Trolley was open and I was at the back with a pair of mothers and two toddler girls (who at times were not happy to be on the tour and made it known) so there were some points that I think I missed because I could not hear everything he was saying. I am sure the route he took made sense to him and had purpose, but it felt to me if one moment we were talking about the Civil War and the next thing was something to do with the Revolution. I am sure all the one way streets in downtown Fredericksburg didn't help with the way he had to get to places. We like to take these kinds of "overview" tours of the city that way everyone can see things and someone doesn't have to worry about trying to drive and look. Usually you can get some pretty good photos on these types of tours, and perhaps the people on the front of our trolley did, but our driver hardly ever stopped at a place so I could get a photo, and then when he went to move it was to leave the sight. I would recondmend the tour becasue it does introduce you to the city, but try to sit near the front if you can.

1  Thank Cindy H
Reviewed August 20, 2012

the guide was knowledgeable, funny, and informative. he knew a lot of fun facts about the buildings, statues, and people, as well as anecdotes for most of the sites. he did plug a lot of the restaurants in town. but as a local, it is good to hear his review. the trolley itself was very uncomfortable. we were there on a somewhat hot day, but not too muggy. the trolley is not air conditioned, and had to stop at various points for either traffic or to get a better look at the sites. when he did, the gas fumes came right up into the trolley. the seats were thin wooden slats that were quite small and only came up just above the waistline and just past the seat of your pants (and i am barely five feet tall). they were very uncomfortable, and my legs were numb by the time we got off. the thin slats dug into your bottom and legs, and provided no back support at all. so keep that in mind if you are traveling with either the elderly or you are a tall person.

2  Thank Anna K
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The trolley waited for extra people instead of leaving on time. We were on a schedule so I was a little unhappy with that. Booked on line and that went smoothly. We usually start an area with a tour to give an overview. The guide knew his stuff and had good humor. Well worth it.

1  Thank Lititztravelers
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hour and fifteen minute trolley tour is a terrific introduction to historic Fredericksburg. It's a great way to get the lay of the land. Our tour guide, Mark, was excellent!