“Decent Budget Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Decent Budget Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Looking for budget motel in Fredericksburg and found the Econo Lodge (can't see motel from road, large sign and entrance immediately after Super 8). Motel is older, room clean, a bit of a smell like many motels but nothing to make me leave, comfortable bed, safe area with many food choices. Free breakfast was a pleasant surprise, hot pancakes and/or eggs, cereal, and other regular continental breakfast items served in a large clean area with plenty of tables. Front desk staff very nice and professional. Room including tax was $52. Not the Hilton, but an acceptable budget motel. We looked at the outside of 2 nearby budget motels, Motel 6, Super 8; Econo Lodge had the best appearance.
Note: We first stopped at the Days Inn South across the street, actually checked in even though gut said no (always listen to the gut), room so smelly could not stay, large white flecks on carpet (paint chips??), dirty bathroom, left immediately returned to office didn't want another room, was told credit card would not be processed....guess what, I was charged but one way or another will have it credited.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank goneagain2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

When I made our reservation at this hotel, I wasn't expecting much since the price was so good, but our stay was ghastly. There was an overpowering stench in the room that was nauseating, and the safety lock on the door was broken. This was especially troubling because guests were being assigned to rooms that were already occupied. In the few minutes I was at the front desk, three people came in with this complaint. I requested another room, and the very courteous desk clerk obliged me, but the second room stank just as badly. Between the highway noise (the hotel backs to I-95), worrying about someone accidentally trying to enter our room during the night, plus the horrible smell, I knew we wouldn't be able to rest, so we left and found another hotel. We would have saved money if we had booked our room at a quality hotel in the first place.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Backpacker50
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

I checked in, September 2008 and checked out May 2009. I stayed 8 months there due to the staff and the price was excellent. The management set up my room with a computer work station, Coffee maker and other amenities. The room was large and comfortable.
The service was great and the office staff was a pleasure to deal with. This hotel was convenient to restaurants, Service stations, the Interstate, Shopping as well as attractions.
I really enjoyed my stay there and I would stay there again, and recommend this Econo Lodge to travelers for one night stay or extended stay.

Patrick: email: amw_mbr@yahoo.com

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
NYandFlorida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Driveway is easy to miss but worth finding for a quiet location and everything was as it should be.
This is the cleanest we've experienced in this price catagory and even in many above it and that includes our stay here last year!
We did have dogs last year and the room was still satisfatory considering that .
I joined tripadvisior just in order to leave compliments to the management and staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Elgin, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Stayed at the Econo Lodge Fredericksburg overnight during a trip around Virginia and D.C. Room was clean and service at front desk was great. Area was safe and I had no concerns.

Will stay here again if I return to the area.

• Stayed April 2009
Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

Checked in late night. TV was not working....did not bother....because I was just their to sleep...get up in the morning...take a shower and get the hell out of there. Surprise..surprise...toilet flush did not work too in the morning. Went to front desk to ask for a change in room so that I can I can at least use a toilet before I check out....the front desk attendant declined saying that since I am due to check out in 3-4 hours, they cannot change my room even if the toilet flush in my room did not work. I finally ended up calling choice hotels 1-800 number and they were of little help until I started getting a little pissed off. Finally after an yelling contest I was given another room. Bad experience over all. I realize it is a budget hotel...but that means at least a working toilet flush and a tv which this hotel did not have.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stranger371
allenproperties, Manager at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, June 12, 2009
We accomodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests. I want you to know that we take the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests seriously. Please be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken. Please accept my apologies for the inconvience that you experienced during your stay. Again I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Regards,
C. Armstrong
Sales Manager
cumberland, md
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

A little dingy, but appeared that they were trying to keep it clean. Could use some rennovation. Based upon other negative reviews, was pleasantly surprised it was as nice as it was. Okay for the solo business traveler looking just for a night's sleep. Beware charge for safe in room. It will be automatically added, unless you request it removed at checkout.

• Liked — Good rate
  • Disliked — Surprise safe charge.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
MikeHampton, Owner at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, May 8, 2009
Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at our hotel. We value comments from our guests and try to use those comments to improve our hotel.

I am sorry about the fact that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We try hard to offer clean safe accommodations at the best value in the area.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Michael