“Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Akron, OH
“Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Filthy! We couldn't take our shoes off! Stray cats all over the parking lot.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Filth!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank alisoni20
MikeHampton, Owner at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, May 8, 2009
Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at our hotel. We value comments from our guests and try to use those comments to improve our hotel.

I am sorry about the fact that you were not satisfied with your stay.

I have spoken with the staff and reviewed the importance of proper housekeeping and identifying and reporting the SPCA any stray cats that may be on the property.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
st pete
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

I paid for non smoking and the first room I was booked into it wreaked so bad of cigarettes, sex, and alcohol I actaully dry heaved.
The second room was smoking but I accepted it because I was too tired to switch again. The next morning I requested to move to a non smoking room and it took over 3 hours for management to work it out. I told them I called Choice Hotels 800 number to complain and they actually sent security to threaten me. I had to call the sheriffs department to escape this hotel with reimbursement of the money I paid for a non smoking room as security told me that I would not receive a refund.

• Liked — I wqas able to escape without being physicqallhy assulated.
  • Disliked — Too many to list.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank lawsonjk
MikeHampton, Owner at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, May 8, 2009
I am concerned about the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring. Therefore, I'd like you to give us another chance by staying with us again during your next visit to this area.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

My father and I decided to stay near Fredericksburg for 3 nights while visiting the States to see the MXON at Budds Creek. We were after some cheap accommodation and were attracted by the price and location. The hotel is a stones throw away from exit 126 of I95 and the staff were efficient at getting us checked in. We had booked a room with two double beds, fridge, microwave and safe and the facilities were just as described. The room was basic but clean and for the price we paid, I would say good value for money.

Unfortunately the pool was covered (even though it was 80+ degrees), however there was a small fitness room adjacent to the reception (open from 9am - 10pm).

The hot breakfast consisted of toast, eggs and waffles in addition to a large selection of doughnuts. Tea, coffee and orange juice were also on offer. There was a large flat screen TV with CNN on which most people watched.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Entrance to lodge is a little confusing from I95
  • Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Crouchy82
MikeHampton, Owner at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, May 8, 2009
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

PORTAGE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2007

This was a bargain, except......They first put us in a room that was already occupied(Whoops !) Then put us in a smoking room,We had reserved a non smoking room 3 weeks in advance. We went to office and they said all non smoking rooms gone-sorry. We said one was supposed to be reserved for us, all of a sudden they found 1 left. The next morning it seemed that the room charges were higher than our reservation quoted. Upon checking they said, "sorry there was a $9 overcharge, we have a new computer and it isnt acting right., your credit will show up on your credit statement, if not call *********. Our statement is a mess they have charged us for 2 nights and added 7 credits/additions on it. I have called 5 times and have failed to get anything corrected, I will have to go to credit card dispute.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — terrible screw-up w / room charges
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dminky
MikeHampton, Owner at Econo Lodge South, responded to this review, May 8, 2009

I am sorry about the fact that you were not satisfied with your stay.

I have spoken with the staff and reviewed the importance of properly assigning guest rooms. Since this review, we are now well versed in our computer system and assure guests that this kind of mixup will not happen again.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2007

The web search said rooms started in the $30's, the hotel web site was $10 more and nothing in the $30's, We were given a smoking room because we had a dog. The smell in the room from smoke was so bad that the dog did not want to go in the room. The room was clean but it smelled for smoke real bad. Room needed a major rehab, sink was craked.
Lots of workers staying at the hotel, probably all hard working guys quiet but scary looking. I would not recommend it for a single women.
#18066356

• Liked — near highway, free breakfast
  • Disliked — smoke smell in room
  • Tips/Secrets — hold your nose
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidMoore
Whitley Bay, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

We stayed at the hotel in early september 2006. The rate was cheap and we felt we received good value for the money. There were no problems with the room and the complimentary breakfast was fine. The hotel was easy to find and had a number of fast food outlets within a 2 minute drive. If you need a room on your way to somewhere or just for one night, it is a choice you should consider. The hotel was remodelling the public areas but we encountered no disruption, dirt or noise.

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — no undercover access to reception from the rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

The office smelled badly as soon as you walked in (the doors were open) but past that, the staff made an attempt to be friendly. My husband, myself & our young daughter were assigned to a 'newer' ground floor room (would not like to see what an older room looks like) with kleenex stuffed into the peep hole. The parking lot had oil on it from construction trucks & equipment parked there-presumably to the ethnic guests renting by the week/month who loitered in front of our room door/window while smoking something obviously other than american brand cigarettes. A guest had thrown a beer bottle over the balcony railing a few door down, leaving broken glass in the parking lot. This was reported to the office staff whose comment was 'not again'. In their defence it was cleaned up within the hour. After a 12 hour drive, & more of these guests looking for confrontation than the presence of hotel security, we did not feel safe at all. As the office staff said they were full that night & we were 'lucky' to get a room (understatement of the year) we didn't ask to change to the other side of the hotel-my husband instead turned in the key, and as he backed up to leave, recognized a truck driven by a guest staying in the room next to us trying to block our car from leaving, & then attempted to run our rental car off the driveway with their truck! We have never been so scared, especially our daughter. We are out the money for the room & plan to obtain the address for the head office of Econo Lodge to file a legitamite complaint. That experience was beyond rediculous. Beware!

• Stayed July 2006