New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Super 8 Fredericksburg/Central Plz Area

Super 8 Fredericksburg/Central Plz Area
Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
DECATUR
“A non-smoking hotel that reeks of smoke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I usually enjoy stays at Super 8. The typical experience I have when staying at a motel in this franchise leaves me feeling rested, appreciated, and like I got a darn good deal. Not so with this particular location.

First, the entire place smelled like cigarettes, even my non-smoking room. This wouldn't have bothered me, but on this trip I was travelling with my 13-month-old daughter.

Second, since I had booked through Expedia.com, the Front Desk Clerk demanded a twenty dollar deposit. When I asked why, he gave me a weak explanation about Expedia not covering damages if they were to occur. He really wanted my credit card number, but I gave him cash instead. He seemed a little miffed about this.

Third, they ignored my request for a first floor room. The hotel wasn't full yet and I checked in right at the earliest check-in time. I feel this may have had something to do with the $20 deposit thing, but I may be reading into it.

Fourth, the room was worn down and smelled. There were cigarette burns everywhere. The pillows were flattened out.

Finally, upon check-out, the clerk had to leave the counter to physically check my room for damage before I could get my $20 back. That left me with another wait in the lobby with my grumpy child. That was pretty ghetto.

I couldn't believe this hotel was part of the Super 8 chain. My faith in your brand is very tarnished now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

managersuper803793, Manager at Super 8 Fredericksburg/Central Plz Area, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for selecting the Super 8 for your lodging accomodations. We regret that it was misunderstood that this specific location was a 100% non smoking hotel. Our hotel does accomodate smokers with smoking rooms. I am very sorry to hear about the inconviences that you expierenced while staying here at Super 8. As a non smoker I can completely agree with your feelings toward the smoking smell. Unfortunately Virginia has yet to ban smoking in hotels. We do take care of specific needs of our guest indicated on the reservations unfortunately there was no specific needs recieved on your reservation, or discussed at check in, or even during your stay. If given the chance I am positive our front desk would have immediately moved you to the second floor which is completely non-smoking. Second, for the deposit; your confirmation from Expedia should specify that the hotel may require incidental deposits. This hotel does take incidental deposits, but not a room deposit. We do check rooms upon guests checking out.We are a green hotel, we turn off all utilites, as well as looking for any issues with room so that we may take care for our next guest. Again we are very sorry for the inconviences you encountered during your stay; but we hope that it will not keep you from coming back, and visiting with us again. Please let us know what we can do, so that we can make your stay a pleasent one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
anywhere usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here on a return trip from Florida to New England. Great location for a night rest, room clean and property well kept. The only problem I have is the pet policy, On my drive north I passed several Super 8 highway signs station “pets stay free” . We were charged 10 dollars for our small dog. This would seem OK as I am sure that the animals may cause extra cleaning and cost to the hotel. However I was made to authorize a $50.00 charge to my credit card in case my dog had an accident in the room. Anyway I was not charged in all is OK. I like to hotel and may stay again , but I feel the pet policy would be adjusted. In all good place to stay for the night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank james1234321
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I just spent 2 weeks here and I don't know what some folks are kicking about. I reserved the room on line. I was allowed to spend up to $77.00 a night but found this one had everything I needed - including WiFi for about $40.00 a night. While I realize it was not my money I was spending, I still work for the company that employes me and I will not spend more than I need to spend. Queen size bed was clean, the room had a fridge and microwave. WiFi worked from day one. I would stay here again and so should you. Were we staying at the same place. There is another Super 8 in Fredericksburg but not at Central Plaza.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joseph O
managersuper803793, Manager at Super 8 Fredericksburg/Central Plz Area, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your positive comments on our property! Glad to hear you enjoyed your two week visit and were able to get a special extended stay rate. Hope to see you again