“Ok for night stay”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was a clean room, a bit out of town. The staff were fine, pretty much standard roadway inn. Just ok.
Hard to say anything exceptional. It's fine as a place to sleep. Dinner was fine but nothing special.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here on two different trips and had somewhat different experiences. The following shows the problem with judging a hotel based on a single stay.

Trip1: When I checked in it seemed to me me that I was bothering the young lady at the desk just by being there. I had asked for a ground floor room near the guest laundry but was informed that I couldn't have such a room because I had booked a promotional rate. (True, I had a good promotional rate.) I saw that there were lots of unoccupied ground floor rooms available that night. These promotional rates are a good way for a person to try a new place and maybe come back based on a good experience. I wouldn't say that the check-in lady was unfriendly, but she certainly didn't welcome me.

The room was big enough but had an odd setup. Between one of the beds and the A/C unit was a low table approximately 63cm x 63cm. There was no room to walk between the bed and the A/C unit to get to the chair in the corner or to close the drapes without climbing over the table or the bed.

I found the room to be exceptionally clean. The guest laundry was spotless, but unfortunately there was only one washer and one dryer.

Trip 2: This was a much different experience. I was welcomed warmly when I checked in and I didn't find the bed/table arrangement that I had on the first trip.

On both trips the check-out person was friendly and encouraged me to come back again.

The breakfast was excellent and was in a connected restaurant rather in a small room off the lobby. There were freshly made hash browns and real scrambled eggs rather than the egg patties (probably frozen and reheated) that I find at many Choice Hotels properties.

The area outside the hotel is very noisy with many trucks passing by on Warrenton Road. However, my rooms were quiet, and I got a good night's sleep each time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Merle B
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Everything you could ask for for an overnight stay -- great service, rooms were clean and comfortable, well appointed, very comfy beds, nice restaurant and lounge, decent breakfast. AND very pet friendly to boot. There is a Ponderosa, Penera Bread and various fast food places close by... but we ate in the bar and the food was excellent, so why bother going anywhere else. We would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It's not the Hilton as another reviewer has noted, but the Hilton "ain't the Hilton" anymore either. In this age of generic hotels all in competition and many with franchise owners that are not properly policed for standards by the main company, it just all becomes gradients of the same. This hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, a gym (kind of - it is a tiny little gym with worn equipment like a lot of hotels but it is a workout area), and a price included breakfast (okay eggs, coffee, grits, OJ, toast).

I recommend the king size bed suite room. Book ahead to get it. It is the same price as the double rooms and appear to be much nicer.

There are plenty of good places in the area to eat at you can drive to. Check tripadvisor for the style of food you like, pick a restaurant and go for it. There is also a little fridge and microwave in the room and a Wegman's grocery store (one of that grocery store chain's largest and worth a visit to see what a top flight major grocery store can do) within easy driving distance.

The front staff is pleasant.

If you can ignore the minor cracks, some worn paint and a bit outmoded decor and look, this is a great place for an overnight or two for the price. If you need everything to be just perfect to look at - there are hotels in this area at about $100 more a night that will make you feel good about yourself.

Room Tip: Book ahead for a King Bed Suite - same price and a better room. But they only have a few. Also, bo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Reasonably priced, staff were very kind. Breakfast was acceptable. The lounge was entertaining, live music both nights. Did not use either of the pools or hot tub, too busy. Close to restaurants. The conference room was excellent for a learning environment. The room was very well done, second floor easily accessible. Bed firm and plenty of pillows. I didn't use the wifi, or the cable. For two nights I was very comfortable and slept well. Water pressure was great. The room was extremely clean. The facilities were well taken care of.

Room Tip: Our company used it again the next week for the same gig. Backside of the hotel was quiet. Large num...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms were large and included a mini refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee pot which is all we needed. The rooms were clean and the staff were friendly. There is an indoor and outdoor pool which is nice since you could swim in any weather. The exercise room also had nice equipment. The breakfast buffet was simple but good. The hotel is also located near gas stations, restaurants, and a Target. Anytime we are in that area again this will be out hotel of choice.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The was an awful smell in the lobby and we got scared what the rooms would be like but we couldn't drive any further.
We were pleasantly surprised when we opened the door to our room it was a little on small side but very clean.
All we needed was a place to sleep and it was good.
We needed some extra towels and blankets and the gentlemen at front desk gave us some with no hassle.
Breakfast in morning was light on selection but scrambled eggs and toast and sausage went over well with the kids.
The coffee was decent an the biscuits and gravy were very fresh and tasty.

• Stayed: August 2013