“Joe's Crab Shack and You Don't Need Any Bait”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Ranked #94 of 433 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Manassas, Virginia
“Joe's Crab Shack and You Don't Need Any Bait”
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

JOE'S CRAB SHACK

My grandson Kevin and I went to Joe's Crab Shack in Fredericksburg, VA this past weekend for lunch. I had never been before so it was a brand new experience. First off let me say that if you're going there for a quiet meal, forget it. The noise level is pretty high, high enough that it is " lean across the table" to make yourself heard without being obnoxiously loud. We both ordered the Classic Steam Pot, which supposedly comes with Dungeness crab, snow grab, shrimp, smoked sausage and an ear of corn. Ours came with no Dungeness crab but had a cluster of snow crab legs, some (maybe 8 or 10) shrimp, a smoked sausage, an ear of corn and a couple of small steamed potatoes with their jackets on. We also ordered a side of crawfish only to discover what we really didn't like about crawfish. The idea of, "sucking the heads" just didn't appeal to either of us- won't make that mistake again. Maybe in a jambalaya, étouffée or gumbo but otherwise I don't ordinarily eat what we fished with when I was growing up in Oklahoma. I had a red sangria and my grandson had a Dr. Pepper. The latter was replenished as needed it seemed. Everything but the crawfish was good, the sangria was a little sweet but good. Plenty of melted butter was available for dipping. No room for dessert so no opportunity to comment on those.

Is Joe's a great place? No. Is it a good place? Yes-it is a loud, fun place. Will I go back? Maybe but nearly $75 for lunch is a little pricey. But don't let me put you off-there are numerous other choices than the Steam Pots, plenty of fish, shrimp and crabs plus some salads, steaks and stuff on a bun. There are some desserts that look great but you gotta save room. Go and have fun. This old sailor may be back!

Visited February 2014

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Good cocktails”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Service is great. Foods are good. Overall, good experience and will be back. Very different decor. The kids like it.

Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Steam Pot History”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Same taste just a lot less to eat…. Back in the day, the steam pots were filled to capacity with oversized crab legs, not any more. The steam pot arrived with 1-claw snow crab, 1-claw stone crab, 1-andouille sausage link, 2-petite red potatoes, 1 med. corn cob and shrimp. It was a bit lack-luster from times past but tasted okay going down. The heat was on in the restaurant which was a nice plus. The server was friendly and courteous. With a soda the meal cost $29 including tax.

• Visited January 2014
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“A bit over rated”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We went here on our way to Charlotte. We were in the mood for some seafood before all the turkey coming our way. The food was good and worth the stop. The restaurant was loud though. Not the place to go if you want a quiet conversation but definitely if you want good food.

Visited November 2013
Henderson, North Carolina
“I'm becoming less of a fan”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I used to enjoy eating at Joe's but it seems there is a downward trend. It's not specifically this location either but several others also. I know companies are fighting to stay in business in this not so vibrant economy and trying to make a profit. They seem to have really cut back on the portions of items in the steam pots much more than I experienced several years ago. The crab legs were small and hard to get the meat out...lesser quality I think. The food was good but not up the price you pay. The server was great and stayed on top of us to make sure we had what we needed. The staff was cheerful and made you feel welcome but didn't balance it all for me.

• Visited July 2013