“Steam Pot History”

Joe's Crab Shack
Ranked #101 of 429 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Steam Pot History”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Same taste just a lot less to eat…. Back in the day, the steam pots were filled to capacity with oversized crab legs, not any more. The steam pot arrived with 1-claw snow crab, 1-claw stone crab, 1-andouille sausage link, 2-petite red potatoes, 1 med. corn cob and shrimp. It was a bit lack-luster from times past but tasted okay going down. The heat was on in the restaurant which was a nice plus. The server was friendly and courteous. With a soda the meal cost $29 including tax.

• Visited January 2014

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“A bit over rated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We went here on our way to Charlotte. We were in the mood for some seafood before all the turkey coming our way. The food was good and worth the stop. The restaurant was loud though. Not the place to go if you want a quiet conversation but definitely if you want good food.

Visited November 2013
Henderson, North Carolina
“I'm becoming less of a fan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I used to enjoy eating at Joe's but it seems there is a downward trend. It's not specifically this location either but several others also. I know companies are fighting to stay in business in this not so vibrant economy and trying to make a profit. They seem to have really cut back on the portions of items in the steam pots much more than I experienced several years ago. The crab legs were small and hard to get the meat out...lesser quality I think. The food was good but not up the price you pay. The server was great and stayed on top of us to make sure we had what we needed. The staff was cheerful and made you feel welcome but didn't balance it all for me.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfectly cooked crab and lobster and seasoned deliciously.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Went out to eat with friends here and it was wonderful would definitely go back specially for birthday

• Visited August 2013
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Joe's on several different occasions and the only thing I've tried that I liked out of everything is their classic sampler but even that is a miss sometimes. They either lack flavor or undercooked their seafood and I truly don't know why some of their pots come with sausage...it doesn't taste good.

Servers are generally nice.

I personally don't like Joe's, at least, I won't be dining at this location again.

*There is a better seafood place. Bonefish grill down the road for a much better value.

• Visited July 2013