“Too Expen$ive -- Leave Hungry”
Review of Tru Luv's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tru Luv's
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We have patronized several incarnations of this Fredericksburg, Virginia, restaurant back when it was called Arbuckle's and then RiverView by two different owners. We have also dined at Tru Luv's on a number of occasions. However, our most recent visit to Tru Luv's will certainly be our last. I was really in the mood for some fried oysters. So, I ordered the Fried Oyster dinner entrée which was priced at around $22.00. The oysters came with French fries. Since it was dinner time, I didn't feel like fries so asked our server if I could get mashed potatoes instead and she replied, "Yes." She went back in the kitchen and talked with the owner who told her I would have to pay $2.00 extra to switch from French fries to mashed potatoes. When she advised me of this I declined to pay the extra money and thought this was ridiculous. I then asked our server if the oyster dinner came with a side dish such as coleslaw or a vegetable. She said "No," but I could pay $4.00 extra for some green beans, and $5.00 extra for asparagus. I thought this was outrageous. It's not so much the extra money, but the fact that you don't get a side dish with this dinner except fries (no substitutions). In addition, in the past Tru Luv's offered a salad with their dinners -- no more! Now if you want a salad, you'll have to purchase one from the menu. So, for $22.00+ all I get for dinner are oysters and French fries. That's it. Oh, you are offered two dinner rolls (one per person), but they aren't the same the same rolls as Tru Luv's used to serve. They are much lighter and not nearly as tasty. Obviously a cost-savings measure switching to a different and cheaper dinner roll recipe. I then told our server that I needed to regroup and choose another entrée from the dinner menu. I made the mistake of ordering the "Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes" dinner at $24.00. As a native Marylander, born and raised near the Chesapeake Bay, I know Blue Crabs. The crabmeat used at Tru Luv's is Asian. Also, the crabmeat was certainly not "Jumbo Lump." Instead, the crabmeat was pulverized and backfin at best (no lumps). The crab cakes also tasted terrible! Anyone who thinks they’re tasty doesn’t know good crab cakes. When the server brought our check she handed us a coupon for 10% off our next dinner. After we settled up, I took the coupon, tore it in half, and placed it on top of our dinner check. I wanted to make a statement that we would not be returning to Tru Luv's. I wish to point out that our server knows us and appreciates that we have dined at Tru Luv's in the past. However, not once did the owner of Tru Luv's come out from the kitchen to try and explain why side dishes cost extra and rationale for charging $2.00 more to switch from fries to mashed potatoes. It's like he has no regard for and could care less about his regular customers and our business means nothing to him. I think that in itself speaks volumes. We were told that Tru Luv's is losing its regular customers for the reasons stated herein. At this rate, it won't be long until Tru Luv's goes out of business. This is also the priciest restaurant in the Fredericksburg Historic Area. There are much better nearby restaurants which offer both a salad and two side-dishes (without paying extra), better menu selections and more competitive prices. We have planned a weekend trip back to Fredericksburg in December and will explore our other restaurant options. This is certainly to the detriment of Tru Luv's owner and will contribute to the eventual demise of this restaurant.

1  Thank EarthyBarbara

Reviewed August 19, 2010

I went with 2 good friends to Fredericksburg. After carefully looking over the menus at the Visitor's Center, we opted for Tru Luv's. Big mistake.

First of all, the hostess/waitress was rude right from the beginning. My friend asked for a table near the window so we could have a river view and she sarcastically replied that we would be seated in a minute and we would have to wait and see. Several people previously wrote in about their feet sticking to the floor. All 3 of us had the same experience- something was on the floor and causing our feet to stick to the floor and squeak when we walked. I waited for an ice tea refill for 10 minutes- and that was after I had to ask for a refill. I ordered the Mediterranean quiche- and without a doubt- worst quiche I ever had. It couldn't have been more than 1/2 inch high and the consistency of the eggs was not right. It was not good at all. Lastly, when we asked for separate checks, the waitress (same person as the hostess) scolded us for not telling her when we sat down that we wanted separate checks.
Overall, this was a bad dining experience. The reason I am giving it 3 stars instead of 2 stars is that the 2 salads that my friend ordered were delicious. Otherwise I would have given this restaurant 1 star. Not a pleasant experience and would note return for the poor treatment we received.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Very little if any heart healthy options, many entrees came with bernaise sauce.
Pricy
The crab cakes are some of the best I've eaten!
Beautiful river view
Excellent service.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

I eat crabcakes just about everywhere I go that serves them. Tru Luv's were among the best - big chuncks of crab and panko bread crumbs. We called ahead and had a window table - not much water left in the river but it was a very nice atmosphere. Our food and server were both excellent.

Reviewed February 4, 2010

I have had meals at Tru Luvs ranging from good to fantastic. While the place is a little pricey, it can be nice to go to, especially for outside dining. Go on a summer night when it's not too hot, and enjoy a seat by the river. It's true that service can be a bit on the slow side, so don't go if you're in a hurry. Also the place is a little on the pricey side, but nearly every downtown restaurant is that way (possible exception is J. Brian's).

The usually have a filet with gorgonzola that is pretty tasty, and I would reocmmend the salmon as well.