“Good location for a budget hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Boston Brookline

Holiday Inn Boston Brookline
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Brookline
Brisbane
“Good location for a budget hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hotel is directly opposite one of the train/tram lines out of Boston city centre and only a very short ride, great if you're on a budget but want to stay close to town. The hotel itself is a little odd, with a small tower of rooms at the front ( looked to be about 3 or 4 floors ), with the rest of the rooms in a two storey complex behind the reception, bar and restaurant, which all border a roofed atrium. This atrium contains seating, a large chess board and a pool area. My room had pleasant décor and was clean however the only window to the room faced the internal atrium and my curtains would not close completely. Luckily my room was down the end so not too many people wandering past, but I still found the gap unsettling enough to find something to place in front of the window. Comfortable bed. A short walk from the hotel can be found numerous restaurants, a supermarket, pharmacies and a Peets Coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front tower appear to have windows to the outside world.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Clova2013
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent visit with us. The location is supurb, only a few feet from the train, whcih will get you in and out of the city in a short period of time. The hotel has several different room types, which are priced appropriately, including both interior and exterior facing rooms. I am pleased that the room was to your liking and clean, I will definitely pass this along to the housekeeping department. I have also made a note of the curtains not closing completely, which we will look into immediately. Again thank you for taking the time to write us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had a Conference in Boston, and this hotel was close to the Conference site. Plus, it was a big Hotel chain (supposedly they have know-how), it was cheaper than other hotels, I was alone in town and would spend the whole day out. So I thought "why not?". Ok, here's why not:
- most rooms have no windows, just an internal window facing the hallway, which has to remain closed if you don't want the other guests to see you when they pass by.
- room was noisy - I heard all kinds of noises from my "neighbors", including toilette flushes.
- even though they claim it's a tobacco free Hotel, my room smelled like someone had just put out a cigarrette. Everyday.
- the closet had no lights and one of the bedside lights was out of order - I was living in a "twilight".
- bed linen was in a poor state, and had a big torn.
- breakfast was just regular, and the breakfast tables were made of plastic
- on my fifth day at a guest, housekeeping simply FORGOT to make up my room. I left the Hotel at 8AM for the Conference and came back at 5:30PM, only to find the room exactly as I had left it...

In summary: good location if you have to go to the Longwood Area - but that's pretty much it...

Room Tip: Try the rooms on the upper floors
Green Features: Only the basics - the guest decides whether he/she wants sheets and towels to be changed everyday.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel does have a unique layout with several of the room types with interior rooms, but the hotel also does offer exterior rooms with great views of both St. Paul and Beacon Street. The hotel is 100% non smoking, unfortunaly there are guests who choose to disregard this, and are charged appropriately upon departure for smoking in the room, and the staff does try to control this as best as possible. I have shared your comments with the housekeeping department as I am extremely disappointed in not only the condition of your bed linen, but also not refreshing your room as expected. Although we sometimes fail to meet our guest’s expectations, it is equally important to hear how we can improve our product and services, and for that we are grateful for your valuable information regarding your recent stay.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I came for a group meeting and was not expecting much (I was hoping to be in the 'central area' of Boston). But to my surprise I was very happy they chose this hotel! My room was ready and clean upon arrival. Everything about the place was fresh, well cared for, and the staff was fabulous and attentive. The location couldn't be beat! I felt so safe walking alone to area restaurants at night (cabs and the T were also available outside the hotel if you need them). Easy trip on the T from the airport as well to the hotel just across the street. I didn't dine at the hotel so I can't comment on that end This will be added to my favorite Boston hotels (even if a little outside of the area I usually work) as it is well worth it and the location is excellent.

Room Tip: First floor near front desk on the inside was an excellent choice for me.
Green Features: They offer opportunities to be environmentally friendly. As for groups, I'm not sure if they separate the recycles after they are place in the trash or not as we weren't given the option to place items in a recycle bind.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ncenjoytravel
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the staff, as they will be thrilled when I share this with them. The location you truly can't beat, with only steps away from the train, literally minutes from downtown Boston, the hotel offers great value from those hotels located closer to city center. The location of the hotel is safe and there are some great homes with character and unique architectural features that are in our neighborhood, for those who enjoy exploring. We hope to see you the next time your travel plans take you to the city of Boston, and thanks for sharing your great experience with us!
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this holiday in with a friend during a girls weekend to Boston. It was a great location. Easy for us to get to from the train terminal, and a great starting point every morning for us to explore Boston. The rooms were clean, and I really like the labeled pillows that let me know which one was firm and which one was soft.

Though this hotel was not in a central location, it was still a great place to stay with small shops and restaurants in the area. Also, the hotel is right by one of the subway/metro stations, letting us quickly and easily take the train to a point of interest and slowly walk back to the hotel while exploring all the sights of Boston.

Overall I think this is a great hotel for any visitor to this great city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your great comments, even though the hotel is located a short distance from Boston City center; it indeed is only a brief ride by train, where you also don't have to worry about finding a parking space either. With only steps away from Coolidge Corner and Harvard Street there are many boutiques, restaurants and shops to explore in this great and safe neighborhood. I am pleased you liked the pillows as we have started to rollout new pillows, which is a new Holiday Inn standard, and we hope to have the hotel completed in its entirety over the next few months. I appreciate you taking the time to write us, and hope to see you the next time you travel back to Boston with your friends.
Rochester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Spent 2 nites here during very busy Boston weekend...Head of the Charles regatta and Red Sox postseason. Were able to enjoy the whole city because Great location in nice residential neighborhood with plenty of restaurants, merchants and access to transit. Very friendly, fun staff.
Quirky, 80s-esque architecture with large interior atrium, rooms open to the atrium. Nonetheless, lobby and rooms have updated decor.
I'd rather the owner keep the weird building and better-than-most-Boston-hotels price than knock it down and rebuild something that costs $400/nite!

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces Beacon st.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments, the layout of the hotel is interesting, and some enjoy the uniqueness, and others prefer a more traditional layout, but in both instances it is the staff that makes the difference, and by your comments we succeeded. We are just steps away from Boston proper; a few blocks by foot or a short train ride can whisk you there in minutes. We hope to see you when you visit the city again.
West Roxbury, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

For the last two years I have brought a group for an extended stay in the fall. Both times the hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for continuing to choose to stay with us each year, our staff tries to make each guest experience a great one, and I am glad we succeeded. We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Spent two nights at this hotel whilst on a tour. When we arrived the first impression was that it looked dull and not very welcoming. We got our room key and soon found our room which was upstairs with the only window looking out onto a corridor with people walking past it, this meant that the curtains had to remain closed or people could see in. The room was very gloomy but at least the beds were comfortable. There was free wifi and coffee in the room so that was better than our previous hotel. The location is too far from the centre of Boston to walk but the underground/overground train stops opposite the hotel so quite easy to get back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy T
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience with us. The hotel indeed has a unique layout, with several room types, including interior facing rooms. The hotel also offers upgraded premium rooms that have great exterior views of the city. The location has the best of both worlds, as it is in a quiet neighbor, but minutes by train into the city of Boston. Again thanks for writing us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
Boston Hotel Buckminster
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
#14 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,674 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Boston Brookline? Share your experiences!