“Just your average, yet overpriced Sushi”

Yasu Japanese Sushi & Korean BBQ
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Korean
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just your average, yet overpriced Sushi”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

The Yasu Japanese Sushi & Korean BBQ has a rather complex name, doesn't it? Also, prices go over $20 an entree, so you'd expect that their food will be just as complex and exotic. Unfortunately, it isn't. Not only is it not exotic, but it is also some of the simplest food that is possible to make.

As soon as you are given the menu, you will most likely be confused. The menu is a mess, and looks very unprofessional; since when does a professional menu have pictures of the food it serves? Not only do the pictures ruin the menu, but the also make the complex names meaningless. What's more, the prices on the menu are just ridiculous.

To see if the prices were actually justified, I ordered a bog-standard beef teriyaki. The presentation was excellent and I think that they were almost able to deceive me. However, once I tried the beef it tasted rather normal, though not as exquisite as described. I also had the miso soup, which was decent, but again, not as outstanding as you might think.

After I had finished my average Japanese dinner, I received the cheque. At that point, I thought that I had vision issues. The bill was ridiculous. I had never paid twenty dollars for an average beef teriyaki.

To sum it up really, I will talk about recommendation. I would not recommend this restaurant to a friend, for the simple reason that their food doesn't match their pricing at all. I think that it would be a smarter decision to just drive 2 miles, and eat at Misono in Chestnut Hill, which serves the same food, but at half the price.

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sushi chef on Wednesday night is bad!!”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I usually go to this place for Sushi as well as Korean food. Great place usually but I went there on a Wednesday night and ordered a special Sushi roll. There was a dead fly in the middle of the sushi. I thought it couldn't be but it was. So grossed out, I left and will not go back if I see the Sushi chef again. I know and recognize all the other times the Sushi chef but the last time, it was someone new.

Tip for the restaurant - Make sure that anyone taking over the normal Sushi Chef when they are off are very careful and follow the same great food that is usually prepared. If I return and see that same awful chef that I had on Wednesday, I will just walk out.

I hate to give a bad review on this place but I guess what they say is true, the chef or cook MAKES or BREAKS the restaurant.

• Visited September 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“very good Korean Bbq place”
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I went with my wife and daughter on a saturday night and the place was not especially crowded. The wait staff were really courteous and very attentive. We got the Combo plate for 2 and there was a lot of food! The beef and the spicy pork were really good and the chicken was not that great. The sides were really good and fresh...love the mini fish pancakes and my daughter loved the small fish and the pasta.

United States
“don't waste your time/money on Yasu”
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We had dinner with a friend of ours in Yasu. The food was lousy. When we finished our dinner and were chatting with our friend, the waiter came and took our water glasses away. 10 seconds later, the hostess came and pushed a bottle of soy sauce across the table…literally from one end of table across to the other end in front of us. Clearly they were signalling us to go. We were not even in the restaurant that long for our meal. Besides there was only one group of people waiting for a table and Yasu staff were in a hurry to push us out of the door. We were embarrassed by their rudeness with our friend’s there. I would not recommend spend your time and money on Yasu’s lousy food and treatment.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Decent BBQ place. It's...”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Decent BBQ place. It's a bit on the expensive side...a bit more than Koreana, I believe. There was definitely something wrong with the vent that usually takes care of the smoke. The guy had to keep on replacing the grill, which was kinda annoying. But the food was good. Service was okay.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook